E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
OBEEWON

My Ride: Smurf Blue M3
Rogue Engineering - Ben Liaw

I just got off the phone with Ben Liaw at Rogue Engineering.

First let me say I love the stuff I have from them, but I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Ben and how he conducts business.

I called Ben on Monday to order some parts. These parts I had already priced at the dealership. My car was down and the dealer is not close so I decided to see if I could get them from Rogue. Ben said he would check to see if he had the parts in stock and to email him. I sent him a list of what I needed and he responded with $40 plus $10 for shipping. Almost exactly twice the price of the dealer. But I figured for his trouble and for saving some on my end, whatever.

I sent payment through paypal and listed again what I needed. Using the nomenclature from the dealer website and cross referencing it with the nomenclature from Rogues site.

The next day I received the package with two items missing.

Annoying right? No big deal but slight delay which is nothing I am not used to.

So I called Rogue and asked for Ben.

Right away instead of listening he is doing most of the talking and telling me what I need. He ended up getting very disrespectful and accused me of not knowing what I was asking for or what I needed. I explained to him that I listed the items I needed 1-5 in the email to which he responded

"All 5 items below (updated rod joint does not require washers), for $40, plus shipping. Figure $10 for shipping. Paypal ok to paypal@rogueengineering.com"

Regardless of who is right or wrong, if you have a customer that is for any reason un-happy you stay calm and figure out a solution. If anyone should have been upset it should have been me. I overpaid (knowingly) and did not receive what I asked for, instead I received beratement.

Despite how much I like Rogue Engineering's stuff I will not be shopping there anymore. If I am treated this way over a $50 order, even worse, two parts that total less than a few bucks I would not trust them with anything else. Just in case anyone is in limbo about dealing with them.

OB

Last edited by OBEEWON; 09-24-2013 at 01:21 PM.
OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
There are plenty of seemingly better choices:

www.furiousmethod.com

Many give excellent service.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
OBEEWON

I will definitely be looking elsewhere after this experience. I like dealing semi local so I have the option to show up to resolve my issues.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Ben has always returned my e-mails promptly. Shrug. So let me get this straight, you ordered certain parts and paid for them and they weren't shipped to you and he refuses to ship them? Other than the "attitude," what is your actual dispute here?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
I like dealing semi local so I have the option to show up to resolve my issues.
Local is good for quick returns, but many of the online places give very customer friendly service.
I've ordered from rmeuropean for example at 7PM EST and received a free upgrade in shipping where the UPS guy handed the parts to me in my driveway while I was taking the car apart at 10am. They ship out of the Denver area.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
sometimes dealing with people who don't know your trade/craft can be frustrating. when you own your own company sometimes you do get to tell idiots they're idiots. But it does have its blowback as in this case.

Hope you get it all sorted out. :hi:
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Hopefully OP can provide more details to see if Rogue actually did anything wrong with the order.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
OBEEWON

Without getting too far into details.

A. I spoke with him about specific parts.
B. I then emailed him with a NUMBERED LIST of specific parts at his request.
C. He responded to the email and gave me a price which was twice the cost of the dealer, but for sake of convenience I made the purchased through paypal.
D. I added a note with the numbered list of parts AGAIN.

Yet I got the package with two items on the list missing.

I called Ben to straighten it out.
He was pleasant at first then became rude. He does not listen well, and he does not like to be wrong it appears.

We will see if these parts show up.

Not sure how to make it any more plain.

The first time I spoke with him he was pleasant. Emails were a bit sluggish but I understand that people are busy. However the way I was spoken to was inexcusable.

After building over 8 cars, as well as working in the design sector of the auto industry over the span of 14 years this is one of the worst encounters I have had over such a simple order.

Last edited by OBEEWON; 09-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.
OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
OBEEWON

He says he refunded my money (after seeing this thread) and shipped the items. I don't need stuff for free so if I get the parts I needed I will be sending him the money back.

Too little too late Ben.

Respect and integrity is more valuable than money to me.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
OBEEWON

Ben apologized so I am going to let this stand where it is. He may have had a bad day as he did claim so take this with a grain of salt. The money has been refunded and the parts may or may not be on their way.

-fin