E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
.Mark

My Ride: AW 6MT N55 M SPORT
Love the build..makes me miss my E46, clean ZHP!
.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
BMW 330ZHP AA Stage 1 Build Thread

I'm going to have to do more research on superchargers, what other company provides an intercooled system?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
GrayZHP

My Ride: 330 ZHP
Re: BMW 330ZHP AA Stage 1 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
I'm going to have to do more research on superchargers, what other company provides an intercooled system?

The stage 1 kit by AA is actually not intercooled. At this low boost there is no need for an intercooler. The cooler provided with the kit is an oil cooler for the supercharger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
GrayZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayZHP View Post
The stage 1 kit by AA is actually not intercooled. At this low boost there is no need for an intercooler. The cooler provided with the kit is an oil cooler for the supercharger.

I understand that, but in the Florida heat I've driven some supercharged cars and the heat soak is very noticeable

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
GrayZHP

Oh I see. Well stay away from vf they don't offer an intercooler. The stage 2 AA and I believe the ess kits both have intercoolers

Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post

We do provided an Intercooler with the Stage 2 System. We can create a customized kit for you called a Stage 1.5. I will send you a PM with more information to help make your decision.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
did you see all the notes he made from your misleading installation instructions? Might want to revise those for future installers to save their time and ease their headaches...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We do provided an Intercooler with the Stage 2 System. We can create a customized kit for you called a Stage 1.5. I will send you a PM with more information to help make your decision.
Sounds awesome!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #29
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
The supercharger is finally installed and the end result is nice. Not perfect sadly but it is nice. So to start off the build, i grouped up all of my tools which sadly was not enough. Just to give you guys some information about my experience so you can gauge and compare your knowledge with mine. I have what i would consider pretty darn good knowledge of m52 and m54 engines. I have done everything to an m52 and s52 with the exception of changing camshafts and disassembling the bottom end. Ive done a little bit of work on m54 engines but from what ive seen and experienced they are basically a perfected m52 with some nice additions to make them in my opinion a little easier to work on. The disassemby started out great, very easy and very quick no surprises there.
Everything came off nice and easy i only broke one small part which was my error but easily reaired.

This is a picture of the vacuum line attached at the "back of the manifold" as the AA directions indicate. The directions dont really help to identify which capped of nipple to attach to. On my ZHP there were 4, if you consult realOEM you can match up the sizes and this was the correct port.

As for the belt tensioner the last 3rd bolt is hidden from view compeltely and very close to several other bolts that look like they could be part of the tensioner. Here is a pictures of me pointing to the last one, this might just save you 10 minutes its a lot easier when you can see where that last bolt could be.

The cutting, extending, and modifying of the hoses is really easy and the AA instructions are pretty good for this, it shouldnt really cause any issues for anyone.

With everything disassembled and the new tensioner installed i began to mount up the supercharger and pulley to the bracket. The fitment on this was great, the bracket is of very high quality and provides a perfect fit with the alternator and bolt holes. Great work here AA it fit like a glove.

At this point, this is where the problems started. The bracket to apply pressure to the supercharger is not very fun to get in. The directions and parts provided dont help you figure out exactly which bolt to remove and mount the bracket to on the oil filter bracket. The bolt they also provided was twice as long as the one pulled out and would not fit so i had to source a new one.
Ill post up this picture when photobucket gets back online it wont let me upload anymore at the moment.

Fitment on the powersteering pump is tight as to be expected, but there is enough room and the modified bracket works with out any issues.

At this point, this is where the problems began to start. The fitment for the snail pipe and blow of pipe is terrible. I expected a lot more from a kit costing this much money. The 90 degree elbow on the bottom of the supercharger to the BOVpipe does not and will not fit. I called AA and to my surprise was able to talk with the engineer who designed the kit. We chatted for a while and he said its very difficult to get it to fit but to keep trying at different angles from the 45 degree silicone piping at the throttle body to the BOV pipe and to the 90 degree at the supercharger.

After that failed i called back and spoke with the same gentlement. He was very eager to help and the service i received on the phone was great. This time he told me to do it opposite from the instructions and attach the 90 degree elbow first then work my way back to the throttle body. Sadly this did not and would never work. Simply put the hose provided is around 1-2" too short. I called again and he told me that they shorten them before sending them out. Well this was a problem for me. There was no way this piece would fit so he advised me, because of my time crunch, to go to pep boys and purchase a longer 90 degree elbow. Great...... Well no pepboys so i went to napa and had to cut a longer 90 from a 2.5inch radiator hose. This part really bugged me. I consulted one last time with AA and he assured me that this is an acceptable replacement and would handle the heat and pressure just fine.

After that the following the order the instructions sugjest for putting on the BOV (which you must attach before putting the BOV pipe on because there is no way to tighten this in the engine bay. In short take the BOV pipe out again to put the BOV on. Now the instuctions say DESA can go on with the BOV this is wrong, there is no way that would ever be able to get the DESA back on with the BOV there. So make sure you fully connect the DESA before the BOV and BOV pipe go back on. There is not even close to enough room with the BOV on.

The snail pipe is also an extremely tight fit this takes a lot of time and lot of adjust the BOV pipe to get the lengths right to fit.

At this point i had spent to much time on the rest of the build. I had to leave the car and go back to school for a week. I ended up going with my back up plan and dropped the car off at Bimmers'R'us. They are a local BMW shop and ended up finishing the build for me. This install requires having a lot of the right and odd length extensions that i was unable to get. Fitting the BOVpipe Snail pipe and BOV is the harded part of this build.

i will provide some more pictures of some of the rest of the build. Such as that this kit is not a complete bolt on. On later e46s you are required to cut part of the inner fender to fit the filter and snail pipe extensions. I did not have the tools to cut through sheet metal with me so i could not do this on my own.

Bimmers'r'us also did some work to make the kit installation a bit cleaner such as notching out a couple sports for the oil lines for the supercharger. and routing the oil lines differently so they flow better instead of making awkward bends as per AA's instructions.

The amount of fluid provided for the supercharger ended up barely being enough. I had only a little bit of the bottle left after the system was fully bled. The installation of the oil canister and lines as well as the injectors is very easy and is a great fit. As is the oil cooler, mounts up nicely, the air shroud will not go back on though.

I also ordered the simons tool so i could install the software without shipping my ecu out. Once you download your original tune you have to send that information to AA so they can email you back the modified tune for the supercharger. this takes AA about a day to get back to you so plan accordingly.

Once the car was started for the first time it found its idle in a few seconds and held a few hundred RPM's higher than is used to. Its been about 2 weeks and the idle is consistently a few hundred RPMs higher than before not a big deal.

Onto my impressions of the kit fully installed and functioning when you start the car the idle will flutter for a couple seconds and settle this seems to happen every time i start the car. When idling it does not change after the first start though. The gas mileage gauge is wildly inaccurate, Im not sure if this was something that should have been corrected in the re-calibration of the computer or will sort it self out over time, but i will continue to watch it as im sure my car is not averaging 50mpgs. The belts are very noisy, even after continuing to adjust the supercharger after the break in period for the belt, it remains fairly noisy. Its not squealing but does provide a bit of noise that is definitely noticeable.

Now for the goods! the BOV is quite noisy, i personally like this, but other people may find it to be an issue. The car feels very solid, ive put about 400 miles on it since the install and it has yet to give me any issues and i like the way it drives. The power delivery under 3500 RPMs feels like you just had the car retuned, you cant feel any boost and the car drives great in the city and around town. The ZHP has a different camshaft from other 330s and i feel like AA was able to get some more low end power from 2000-3500rpms from them. After 3500rpms is where the smiles per gallon are greatly increased. You hear and feel the car making boost at this point and it simply takes off like a rocket. its obviously not e90 m3 but i would not hesitate in saying it is faster than e46 m3s. When calculating out the mileage there is no change in MPGs on the highway if you are able to keep from getting on the accelerator. Traction is a huge issue now as the car will easily spin all the way into 3rd gear. I have all season tires so for me 1st gear and 2nd gear has a lot of power cut from traction control.

Overall i am happy with the end result and do no regret supercharging the car at all, it has the extra power to make it the perfect daily driver. The power delivery is a bit strong at 3500rpms but it is also a lot of fun once you know what the car will do. Up top the car pulls extremely hard and will not stop pulling.

If i had to do it all over again im not sure i would go with AA again due to the fitment issues with the snail pipe and BOV pipe and the amount of lines and piping you have to cut and modify. I would be interested in knowning if the ZHPs are slightly different and can contribute to this. The ability to upgrade to a stage 2 kit is a nice option to have, but if i did it again i may look at other kits. I do feel a little let down from some of the fender cutting and fitment issues for having paid as much as i did though.

Thanks to bimmers'r'us for helping me out in a pinch, they are a bunch of great guys and they do some awesome work. Anyone in the St. Louis area should definitely check them out. Also thank to Viral for hooking me up with a promotional deal he and the whole AA staff was great to work with and seem very committed to what they do.

If anyone is looking to purchase the AA kit and wants to install it yourself, i would recommend having either experience installing a supercharger kit, or someone who has done this before to help you as it is not really a DIY for a first timer. Post up with any questions im happy to share my experience and ill post up more pictures soon exampling the rest of the build.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and full detailed review. I am glad to see another boosted ZHP on the boards.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
DEFIspeed

My Ride: '05 ZHPci 6MT BLACK
Dammit- I want to do this...Thanks for the write up!
DEFIspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #31
GrayZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFIspeed View Post
Dammit- I want to do this...Thanks for the write up!
It was well worth it. F/I is a great addition to the e46

Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #32
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
Some of your issues sound like those I ran into with my VF install. I had to modify all kinds of hoses and spent a lot of time backtracking. My instructions were for a Vortech V2 (which requires running oil lines) instead of the included V3 unit, and for a Z3 instead of a Z4. I'd say most of the complaints are pretty standard.

I agree that you need a good shop nearby that knows how to do the install, and that it's a very difficult DIY your first time. You should always budget 3-5x as much time as you expect, because parts will break and you'll get stuck. However, "time heals all wounds" and you'll enjoy the hell out of the car with its new FI power. I pulled a stock Z4M at only 6 psi, so I'd expect you should easily pull an M3 on 8 psi.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #33
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
The gas mileage gauge is wildly inaccurate, Im not sure if this was something that should have been corrected in the re-calibration of the computer or will sort it self out over time, but i will continue to watch it as im sure my car is not averaging 50mpgs.
The MPG gauge doesn't work properly for any BMW with larger injectors. The ECU calculates MPG based upon a known amount of fuel being passed through the injectors. Larger injectors prevent accurate calculations. Dinan sold a MPG compensation box for the superchargers they made for E36's. I looked everywhere for one three years ago, but they didn't exist then.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
NickG

My Ride: 2001 330ci turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
The MPG gauge doesn't work properly for any BMW with larger injectors. The ECU calculates MPG based upon a known amount of fuel being passed through the injectors. Larger injectors prevent accurate calculations. Dinan sold a MPG compensation box for the superchargers they made for E36's. I looked everywhere for one three years ago, but they didn't exist then.
Lars,

All of the ECUs used in the E46 chassis have a function that can scale the MPG output signal so it reads correctly with different sized injectors. It's just that some companies don't know about it
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
GrayZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Lars,

All of the ECUs used in the E46 chassis have a function that can scale the MPG output signal so it reads correctly with different sized injectors. It's just that some companies don't know about it
This seems more accurate. As far as I can tell it sends as if the ecu is attempting to compensate. Every tank of gas the mpg's are reading slightly closer to what they should be.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #36
NickG

Quote:
This seems more accurate. As far as I can tell it sends as if the ecu is attempting to compensate. Every tank of gas the mpg's are reading slightly closer to what they should be.

The ECU doesn't 'adapt' or 'compensate' the MPG output signal. It is what it is. The way it works is that the ECU takes the final injector on-time, and converts that to the appropriate pulse-width for the cluster to calculate the MPG. The conversion factor can be either a single value, or a lookup table (to account for other factors like ambient pressure, manifold pressure, RPM, etc.).
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #37
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
The ECU doesn't 'adapt' or 'compensate' the MPG output signal. It is what it is. The way it works is that the ECU takes the final injector on-time, and converts that to the appropriate pulse-width for the cluster to calculate the MPG. The conversion factor can be either a single value, or a lookup table (to account for other factors like ambient pressure, manifold pressure, RPM, etc.).
NickG is correct the ECU cannot adapt or compensate the MPG output signal to provide an accurate reading of the MPG. The best way to get an accurate reading is seeing how many miles you average on a full tank of gas, but keep in mind going wide open throttle in any F/I isn't going to increase your MPG.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Lars,

That may be so Nick, but I don't think ANY companies producing superchargers for E46s modify the software to correct MPG readings. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
NickG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
That may be so Nick, but I don't think ANY companies producing superchargers for E46s modify the software to correct MPG readings. Please correct me if I am wrong.
From the sound of it, I don't think you're wrong. The companies producing turbo kits do correct the MPG output though.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
From the sound of it, I don't think you're wrong. The companies producing turbo kits do correct the MPG output though.
I see what you did there NickG ....

Tags
aa, diy, install, supercharger kit, zhp