E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
DRA2120

My Ride: 03' 330 xi
No radio reception

I have done some searching and I think I know my problem, but would like some experienced help just to make sure I'm on the right track. I have zero radio reception on either AM or FM band, I don't even have static, just silence. The CD player and all other functions of the radio work fine. I have checked and the antenna is plugged in both at the amplifier and radio. So leaves me to think that my amplifier is dead. Is this the conclusion that you guys would come to as well, or is there something else I'm missing?

03' 330xi w/ harmon kardon

Last edited by DRA2120; 04-20-2015 at 11:31 PM.
DRA2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
DRA2120

UPDATE:
I did some more testing by taking an old fm ipod dock. (you know the kind you would plug an ipod into and it would broadcast it on an fm frequency so you could listen in the car, before radios had an ipod connection) and I put that right next to the radio and the radio would pick it up, but it was quiet and a little staticy, so I figured that meant my antenna amp was the culprit as the radio is obviously capable of picking up an fm broadcast. So I ordered a new amp, installed it, and got nothing. No change at all, still zero reception on either band. Does anyone have any thoughts? The only thing I can think of now is that the coax is broken somewhere. I really want to get this fixed, as I drive about 100 miles a day, and I can only carry so many cds.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
mleindek

My Ride: 2003 325i
Don't know much about this radio units in particular but I think that if the coax is broke you'll have static. Do you have any possibility to try another unit in your car? I think there's another box behind the other C pillar, a frequency filter, sometimes they get loose or rusty....
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
DRA2120

Thanks for advice, I checked the frequency filter last night but no luck. It did occur to me though that i've never checked to make sure the amp is getting power. I'm guessing it would just be a matter of turning the car on, and then making sure i'm getting voltage at the power wire to the amp. If there is no power, can anyone tell me which fuse is responsible for the amp? I looked at a fuse diagram the other day, but none of them listed the amp.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
mleindek

If you can hear the CD and AUX the amplifier might have power.. Just thinking out loud. Your problem seems to be the tuner (or something related to) itself.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
mleindek

Just in case check fuses #7 and #41 in your glovebox.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
LocoCan

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
More information

If you want more information about the BMW radio's, you might look -> Here.

I recently installed an after market HU in the spouse's car. The after market HU doesn't consider BMW's diversity antenna system (dropped after 2001). It has disappointing radio reception, so I put a newer radio signal amplifier into the vehicle. In my opinion, You could attribute any signal improvement to a placebo affect. (meh).

Your car is newer and has a somewhat different radio reception system. However you may want to ensure your connector is making connection at the HU, as suggested in the linked article. Hope it helps.
LocoCan is offline   Reply With Quote