E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Bostonbimmer

My Ride: 2011 328
Send a message via AIM to Bostonbimmer
Does the 2011 use ODBII?

Does the 2011 use ODBII and if so what am I doing wrong here.

My CreadErVI Reader wont read the error codes unless the car is running. And once its running the CreadErVI won't allow me to clear them until the car is off, once its off the CreadErvI can't clear the codes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Jeremy H
Bostonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Everything 1996 and newer uses OBD2.

EDIT - Corrected year...

Last edited by Tangent_; 09-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Bostonbimmer

My Ride: 2011 328
Send a message via AIM to Bostonbimmer
Anyone have the same issue I am having?
Bostonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
First year of OBDII was 1996. Use the scanner on another car to see if it's doing the same.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Yes, OBDII is 1996 forward, but there are many different data stream formats.

First things first, the ignition should be on or the engine should be running because the data stream needs to be active for the tool to connect to the car.

Next make sure the tool is fully plugged into the OBDII connector.

What message does the tool display? Assume the display lights up?

What firmware are you running and is it the most current version from the LaunchTech USA site?

I clear codes all the time with the engine running. But you cannot fully run the ignition off, you at a minimum need to have the ignition switch on so the CEL/SES light is lit.

One problem with MANY scan tools is they have a routine that automatically scans for the OBDII data stream and sometimes they do this too fast and then miss automatically connecting to the car due to timing issues in the firmware routine of the tool.

I cannot recall if the CReaderVI can be set up manually to connect to the car as mine always automatic finds the data stream. If there is an option to choose the Make, Year, Model and Engine size, manually configure the tool and see if it connects.

I know Launch has a but in their firmware for the CRP123/CRP129 and the tool will not automatically detect a very common J1850 PWM, but if you manually configured the tool for the vehicle, it would fully read all the OBD data. So there was clearly not an issue with the wiring, chipset or overall firmware for the tool, there was just an issue with the "Auto Detect" function in the tool and I would have to guess the issue was timing in how long the tool dwelled on the data stream for each protocol.

Also try the tool on a different car and make sure it works.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 09-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote