E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
yeagleje

My Ride: 2000 323i
Whats so wrong with starting a new post?

Can we use 5w30 Mobile 1?? I just saw it at Walmart....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
yeagleje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #42
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
38% of Fanatic posters on this site poured Mobil1 5w30 into their crankcase at one point in the past.

All of them bought it at Wal-Mart.

They're easy to identify because they're the one's being all superior in oil threads.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #43
yeagleje

My Ride: 2000 323i
Whats so wrong with starting a new post?

I think 38% is a little of a lowball guess...

yeagleje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Mr Podman

I think you're right.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
3 pages for this? Next time someone searches for an oil thread, this is what's gonna come up. Nice going guys.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Blame OP, not us.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: Whats so wrong with starting a new post?

And if they're persistent enough they'll learn somewhere on page 3 that they're safe with Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 5w30, and BMW branded oil, all of watch are the appropriate LL01 approved types. :-P

Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #48
atrak

My Ride: 01' em three
Re: Whats so wrong with starting a new post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
3 pages for this? Next time someone searches for an oil thread, this is what's gonna come up. Nice going guys.
Awe muffin

Sent from my SGH-I747M using BimmerApp mobile app
atrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #49
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
The problem is BMW conflicts their own recommendations at times, so there can be no definitive sticky or "right" answer and why there is debate in the first place. This is why moderators have no choice but to let these threads slide. There are about 225k threads in the General Forum, and at least 10% have to be oil related.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #50
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Yeah, that's what it is. Let this sht die already.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 09-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #51
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
What contradictions has BMW made?

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #52
Wulff

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
The problem is BMW conflicts their own recommendations at times, so there can be no definitive sticky or "right" answer and why there is debate in the first place. This is why moderators have no choice but to let these threads slide. There are about 225k threads in the General Forum, and at least 10% have to be oil related.
Well said sir, and this might be because even with all the experts (I'm talking about scientists, etc) it seems like nobody can give a definitive answer when it comes to motor oil!
It's like the "standard fossil oil vs synthetic oil' question, I have read journals about this and NO ONE seems to be able to answer things about the most often asked questions as an example: "Can I use full synthetic oil in a car that has 100K miles on it that I have used SAE 30 wt oil since day 1 without causing leaks?" Ask a dozen experts, you get a dozen answers!
About the closest I found to having any merit was a petroleum engineer from Mobile that said (I am paraphrasing) "sometimes standard oil will swell up seals (especially main bearing seals) and someone suddenly decides to switch to a full synthetic oils, the seals will contract slightly and the oil will now weep slightly from the old seal" he went on to say when asked if returning to 'standard' oil these seals will swell up again and stop leaking? His answer? "Possibly, however we (Mobile) has not studied it enough to give an honest definitive answer' he finished up by saying what everyone eventually says "Use the oil recommended for the vehicle or motor!"
Even David Vizard (who I am sure is familiar to many people) said he uses a 'blend' he usually (on his street car) uses a quart of full synthetic oil and top it off with 'standard' oil.
Concerning someone complaining about a thread like this (or the one the OP started in the first place) causing someone to have to go through dozens of posts only to find it doesn't answer their question I can just answer, 'Welcome to the information highway!'
If I am searching for something important, I check out even useless little threads that has words the search engine brought up that MAY answer my question, but if not, I'm a big boy so I go to another one and so on!
Even with all the threads on oil in the deep dark corners of the internet, I still think there is a lot of unanswered questions concerning motor oil that can only be answered by those that have experienced various issues, problems or good or bad and is willing to share them with others, without getting flamed and for those that don't agree, just get your owners manual out and follow the generic instructions for recommended oil, tire pressure, etc.

Okay, that has been my 2 cents to a nightmare thread the OP wasn't looking (and even apologized for), I now turn it back over to those that think I'm a arschloch and call me clever names and of course the old standby favorite, bring my sexuality into question!
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #53
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
Well said sir, and this might be because even with all the experts (I'm talking about scientists, etc) it seems like nobody can give a definitive answer when it comes to motor oil!
It has nothing to do with no one knowing, it has to do with people like you thinking there is no answer and then attempting to give one. There are specific oils for specific things - and your comment about running SAE30 shows me that you don't even know what that is. SAE30 just means it's a straight-weight oil. It has no viscosity modifiers that prevent it from turning to putty in extreme cold. That's what the "W" stands for in multi-weight oils - Winter.

People like you are the reason why there is so much confusion. You perpetuate ignorance.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #54
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I'm working on an app that detects the word oil typed into a post on e46fanatics.com. When the offensive word is typed out the keyboard will immediately generate a 10,000 volt charge. For every subsequent use of the offending word it will double the voltage until the person posting is rendered incoherent.

This may not solve the problem but it will make for some great entertainment.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #55
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
...generate a 10,000 volt charge
What transformer oil do I use?
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #56
Wulff

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
It has nothing to do with no one knowing, it has to do with people like you thinking there is no answer and then attempting to give one. There are specific oils for specific things - and your comment about running SAE30 shows me that you don't even know what that is. SAE30 just means it's a straight-weight oil. It has no viscosity modifiers that prevent it from turning to putty in extreme cold. That's what the "W" stands for in multi-weight oils - Winter.

People like you are the reason why there is so much confusion. You perpetuate ignorance.
So you have it all figured out? I didn't know the scientists and engineers I am talking about were so uninformed! Please excuse me, I didn't realize I was in the presence of such a smart man!
I put SAE 30 as an example meaning "standard" or fossil oils, you go off on a tangent about viscosity and multi-weight oils which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Fossil vs Synthetic oil, re-read my reply and see who is confused, it is YOU! That was my fault, I thought everyone would get the message without having to 'dumb it' down to SIMPLE!
I wasn't going to single you out individually (but I guess you recognized the type of person I was referring to) you complained in two separate posts about the OP wasting your time yet did you HAVE to read his posts?
Next time you see a post like his asking a question about something that you really don't understand, please just move along as it is apparent your knowledge adds nothing to the subject.
I work with other engineers in high vacuum and abatement systems and we are still trying to solve the issues using a multi viscosity oil that is nearly $2000 for a 205 litre bottle http://www.edwardsvacuum.com/Product...?sku=H11028010 used in aerospace and semiconductors so lets talk high-tech and don't try to say I don't know what I am talking about!
Instead of bitching about people that are earnestly trying to research a subject that is still (even by the experts) hotly debated I suggest you either do some research so you can add some substance in your reply instead of double-talking and taking what I was talking about and sprinkling it with a douse of simplicity!

Okay, your turn to come back with a brilliant reply to show how I don't know what I am talking about.
I am not coming back to this thread to even see what you have to say therefore I am being a gentleman enough to let you get in the last word, which I am sure you will!
Cheers, and have a pleasant day.
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #57
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
38% of Fanatic posters on this site poured Mobil1 5w30 into their crankcase at one point in the past.

All of them bought it at Wal-Mart.

They're easy to identify because they're the one's being all superior in oil threads.
Hey...I resemble that remark.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=m1

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #58
Mr Podman

Every car manufacturer does their own petty little oil spec grab and some of you guys think that's value-add.
More than anything, BMW long life oil is an integral component of their maintenance free marketing program.

The BMW oil is fine. If you run the Volvo long life oil you'll be fine too.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #59
hoodluum

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
EXACTLY!!
hoodluum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #60
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Yeah, and you started it. Someone shine the Jake light.