E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
kaos3717

My Ride: BMW 3Series 320d E46
BMW E46 320d OIL RUBBER THING

Hi Guys,

Ive been having trouble with my Motor, I drive a BMW 320d M sport 2lt Desiel Convertible

Well Ive been getting the orange Oil light coming on,

I have done some intensive research and everyone was telling me to change the oil sensors as my oil levels where fine and maybe the sensor is just misreading. I also decided to book an appointment with the garage to remove the Swirl Flaps on my engine, as well as change my oil filter and separator and clean out my EGR valve. Might as well do a proper job whist going underneath the hood,

This morning my mother complained about a bad smell coming from the drive way, I have left my car on for it to warm up before i make my out for work, i smelt something but my mind was telling me its not anything to be concerned about as i thought I smelt deseal, I opened the hood and smelt the engine and was not able to smell anything. But noticed something near my Oil Cap some rubber thing.

What the hell is it ? is it the cause my orange light coming up on my dashboard and the smells too?

Its Dangling there...

PICTURE ONE

PICTURE TWO

BMW E46 CONVERTIBLE

Last edited by kaos3717; 10-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.
kaos3717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
kaos3717

Bump! Anyone? ,

Just like to tell you that I have taken it off and its a Square rubber thing

BMW E46 CONVERTIBLE

Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
There are not many 320d on here. You might want to post in the general section since this is not convertible specific problem and more people will see it in the general section. Hopefully somebody with a 320d.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
kaos3717

Re: BMW E46 320d OIL RUBBER THING

I put a little tiny bit of engine oil in that accidently any problems??

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

BMW E46 CONVERTIBLE

Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I'm not sure. On my car the only thing labeled "atf oil only" is the power steering reservoir. But your engine bay looks lots different than mine. I couldn't tell if that cap was attached to the engine, or, the car body.
Engine oil where it asks for only ATF is obviously not ideal. I'd probably pump it out and replace. But if it just a little bit you might be OK.

Sounds like you will be taking it to the shop soon. Just ask and tell them. If it is not leaking there I would not worry too much about that till you figured out what it is (might just be a rubber isolator between cover and power steering reserviour) - BUT AGAIN, I know nothing about the 320d

Good luck
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
kaos3717

thanks for the info guys it is a rubber seal for the atf oil.

gettting my Swirl flaps removed and full service done just to be on the safe side last service was done on 58000 miles its on 65000 miles, might as well do it

BMW E46 CONVERTIBLE