E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i
First time on a track, what should I know ?

I signed up for a BMW CCA novice introduction to the track event. I've never driven on a track before or attended a HPDE, any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Make sure your brake fluid has been changed. Most clubs require it to have been changed in the last 12 months (IIRC). Take all the crap out of your car so you don't have to leave it track side. You'll need a totally empty car to get on the track. Check your ego, you'll build a lot more skill if you start slow and add speed as you gain understanding of what is happening. Keep your traction control on as well.

Track days are a blast, have fun!

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
If autocross, the instructor will walk the course with the group. ATTEND THIS. Things will become more clear walking the course versus going balls to the wall your first time out. And as mentioned, definitely be humble about this. Slower is faster. But don't be afraid to try and go fast, it'll just teach you what you are doing wrong.

Oh and prepare to buy new tires after. hahaha

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I've never done a track day, but I've been told several times not to time my laps if I do go. Just work on your form and racing line.

Some people like to tape their car's paint up to prevent chips and all that.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
As what Tim mentioned ... Go at your own pace and be wary of other faster cars that are approaching from behind. After you pit check your tire pressure cos after a few laps the psi in your tires will have risen by 4-7psi so get a good tire pressure gauge. For 17" tires 30psi all around. Bring a few bottles of water cos you get dehydrated real fast.

Also watch and learn experienced drivers breaking points and always remind yourself to go slow in fast out.

Having said that I myself spun out on my 2nd lap cos I was to eager to catch up the car in front ... I was very lucky there was no damage to the car except for my ego lol.
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
tks

My Ride: slower than yours

Start drinking water 72 hours prior to event.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Every person on earth should be drinking at least 64 ounces of straight water every day anyway. I go for the gallon.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Chrsb5

Thanks for the replies!

Well brakes and fluid are fresh, replaced everything including SS lines and a new fluid in July. Tires are fresh Continental extreme contact DW and filled with nitrogen, so hopefully I won't see two much of a pressure increase as they heat up. Water is an excellent idea, I plan on bringing a snack too. There's no crap in the car at all. As far as driving fast, having an ego, I'm pretty much in the opposite state of mind, a little nervous and eager to learn what I can and hopefully have fun.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
If you're nose-to-nose every time you pass another car, check to see if you're going the wrong way around the track.

Mostly, have fun.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
BimmerRules!

My Ride: 530xi, zhp
Bring plenty of snacks if you aren't packing your lunch.

Don't think too much about the water; you are in NJ and are probably attending the Oct driving school. Weather will be pleasant and it's not going to be that hot or bad. To be clear - bring water, but don't bring too much.

Sunglasses, a book or ipad if you think you'll get bored between rounds - although you might be busy between the skid pad and shaloms and trying to make sense of the hectic pace.

The guys at the track (all NJ BMWCCA guys) are fantastic and very helpful. It might get overwhelming @ times but take a deep breath and realize that you there to (a) learn, not race, and (b) have fun. And @ any point, just reach out to the volunteers and the members to clarify your queries. Everyone will pause to answer and guide you.

I have taken this Intro to the Driving School in the past and hence adding my 2 cents out of experience.

ENJOY.
BimmerRules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
tks

is it too late to sign up?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
NJBMWCCA has run driving schools since the early 70's and run a great show. Their Intro to the Track program is fantastic. If you listen to your instructor and pay attention in the classroom, you will have a blast. Grab as many instructor rides as you can.

Have you taken your car to a shop for the tech inspection? Is everything checked? Is it filled out properly? I have had to fail drivers at the tech spot-check for loose batteries, expired helmets, brake fluid older than 6 months, and other easily avoided things clearly listed on the tech form. Do you have a SA2005 or later full face helmet?

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
is it too late to sign up?

As of a couple days ago,they still had a couple novice spots open.

http://www.njbmwcca.org/services/sch...p?event_id=352

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Take all the crap out of your car so you don't have to leave it track side. You'll need a totally empty car to get on the track. Check your ego, you'll build a lot more skill if you start slow and add speed as you gain understanding of what is happening. Keep your traction control on as well.
Excellent advice. And "all the crap" means "anything that isn't bolted down...including floor mats. And projectiles in your trunk aren't a great idea, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
I have had to fail drivers at the tech spot-check for loose batteries, expired helmets, brake fluid older than 6 months, and other easily avoided things clearly listed on the tech form. Do you have a SA2005 or later full face helmet?
Yup, I bought a helmet when I first started autox. Got a great deal...so I thought...until, 2 years afterwards, I found out it was no longer allowed. It had never even bumped the headliner, but it had expired....
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
todd92

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Brake fluid fresh.
Tire gauge, check hot air pressure immediately when leaving track.
Lug nuts torqued, recheck after every session.
Learn the lines.
Late apex.
Going off is expensive.
DO NOT do anything to get out of the way of faster drivers. Stay in the line and let them find a way around you.
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
333Crazee

My Ride: Mystic Blue E46 M3
Re: First time on a track, what should I know ?

Watch videos on YouTube of the track you are going to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
333Crazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
A little pre event reading that will help:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/preparing.html

Also read the links at the bottom of the page for more info.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
tks

blah registration ended yesterday
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
lovemy330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci topaz blu
traction off
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Chrsb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333Crazee View Post
Watch videos on YouTube of the track you are going to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Ha! Brilliant! I should have thought of this but it didn't even cross my mind. It's the lightening track at the NJ motorsports park in Millville NJ.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app