E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Esp on the freeway, if you have to jam on the brakes, as soon as you judge the distance in front, next step is to check your rearview mirror. A handful of times over the years, I've managed to avoid being hit from behind by doing so.

People that fail to secure their cargo well enough =
People that stop on a freeway anywhere but the shoulder to pick up the crap they dropped =

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 10-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I hope you got the email of the two cars involved in the accident so you can email them the video which they can use to prove that the package guy caused the accident.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I hope you got the email of the two cars involved in the accident so you can email them the video which they can use to prove that the package guy caused the accident.
In all fairness, package guy is only partially responsible.

If OP was able to stop in time without even getting into ABS, then anyone following him should have been able to, as well. If the Civic had been following at a safer distance or paying more attention, s/he wouldn't have had to swerve into the carpool lane.

Yes
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
In all fairness, package guy is only partially responsible.

If OP was able to stop in time without even getting into ABS, then anyone following him should have been able to, as well. If the Civic had been following at a safer distance or paying more attention, s/he wouldn't have had to swerve into the carpool lane.
While I agree, the truck caused the situation. Even when following at a reasonable distance, the car in back may not be able to avoid a collision. The OP is driving in a BMW, with exceptional brakes and can stop MUCH faster than a civic (imagine a dump truck was behind the BMW). Factor in reaction time of 1-2 seconds before the civic realized the BMW went pedal to the floor, and there is no way that was going to be avoided. Hell, the BMW was only able to not hit the pickup because of his brakes. If the OP was in something else, he definitely would have hit.

So, I agree with you that the civic made bad choices (driving too closely, unsafely switching lanes) the cause of the accident/situation was the truck stopping in the middle of a highway. The insurance companies would have no problem going after the pickup driver.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
"Technology will not allow the violation of any of the laws of physics"

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Damn, close call man.

+1 on having a dashcam. I have the 400G-HD as well

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
You were very lucky, did they put you on hold??
Probably a transfer. Some 911 centers now answer with "do you need police, fire or ambulance?" and based on the first 5 seconds of info, transfer the call to a second operator to get more detailed info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
While I agree, the truck caused the situation. Even when following at a reasonable distance, the car in back may not be able to avoid a collision. The OP is driving in a BMW, with exceptional brakes and can stop MUCH faster than a civic (imagine a dump truck was behind the BMW). Factor in reaction time of 1-2 seconds before the civic realized the BMW went pedal to the floor, and there is no way that was going to be avoided. Hell, the BMW was only able to not hit the pickup because of his brakes. If the OP was in something else, he definitely would have hit.

So, I agree with you that the civic made bad choices (driving too closely, unsafely switching lanes) the cause of the accident/situation was the truck stopping in the middle of a highway. The insurance companies would have no problem going after the pickup driver.
I agree that the dumbass in the blue truck is the first domino, esp if OP is correct that the box fell out of his bed and he stopped on a free flowing freeway to pick it up.

But the definition of "reasonable distance" is always going to be something like "far enough back to avoid an accident if the vehicle in front comes to a sudden stop". So if the Civic couldn't stop when OP used 75% braking, that's not a reasonable distance.

The silver Nissan pickup in front of OP stopped and it doesn't appear to use max braking to do it. OP stopped without using max braking. The Civic's failure to do so likely means the driver was following too closely, not paying attention, or both.

Yes
Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Probably a transfer. Some 911 centers now answer with "do you need police, fire or ambulance?" and based on the first 5 seconds of info, transfer the call to a second operator to get more detailed info.

I agree that the dumbass in the blue truck is the first domino, esp if OP is correct that the box fell out of his bed and he stopped on a free flowing freeway to pick it up.

But the definition of "reasonable distance" is always going to be something like "far enough back to avoid an accident if the vehicle in front comes to a sudden stop". So if the Civic couldn't stop when OP used 75% braking, that's not a reasonable distance.

The silver Nissan pickup in front of OP stopped and it doesn't appear to use max braking to do it. OP stopped without using max braking. The Civic's failure to do so likely means the driver was following too closely, not paying attention, or both.
from what I've seen it's usually both.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
cntrvrsy

My Ride: ///M3
Driver in the blue pick-up is an idiot and shouldn't have been in the left lane with all that loose crap in the bed.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
ross1998

My Ride: Metro transit
Keep your distance on the highway!

Here in Seattle it's almost impossible to keep a safe distance, anytime you make a safe distance on I-5 here other cars see it as an opportunity to go in your lane.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ross1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #31
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Although I agree that if the blue truck did indeed drop a box on the fwy, then it did cause the accident, then if I were to take the report, I'd put the civic at fault actually. Per the vehicle code, a person must drive at a reasonable speed in regards to traffic or roadway conditions...in this case, a stopped truck on the highway. Because of this, as many of you have mentioned, you're supposed to give yourself enough space cushion etc in case something like this happens. The civic driver did not do so, swerved into the HOV lane and got creamed. It sucks, but the video does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the truck did drop something. However, I'd do everything in my power to write the report as though the blue truck caused the accident and putting the primary collision factor as "other than driver."

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
You should get the pick-up's license plate from the video and give it the folks involved in the accident. He caused it, and I'm sure their insurance companies will go after him (and rightfully so)

I'm all for keeping a good following distance, but at highway speeds, sh!t can happen pretty quickly when an unexpected variable is thrown in the mix (Flying box)
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
I have a fist rule to keep half a tacho distance. It's pretty common over here as a rule (not that a lot of People do it, but I do). 130 kph, I keep about 65 meters between me and the car in front (easy to measure since lightpost are 50m apart). 90kph, I keep about 45 m etc. (Europe here, metric system)
Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #34
Freddog

My Ride: 08bmw3series 2ltr
Thumbs Up

Nice driving lads ,I noticed that O p was the only one usein his rear V. Mirrors ,but he only done that because of the R ,t ,a . If you keep A proper distance according to your rate of travel ,your chances of geting home safe are Good ,as long as you keep an eye in yourR V mirrors for the idiot driving to close to. You ,and the one that is trying to Undertake you .the place you are at most risk is a couple of miles from home when you relax . In 2.5 million miles I have found that is the Case ..A's you young cop,s & lawyers. Know the only winners in an r t a case is the lawyer. Safe. Driving.
Freddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
You were very lucky, did they put you on hold??
Quote:

yup, transferred me to the CHP
Old 10-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
Freddog

My Ride: 08bmw3series 2ltr
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Esp on the freeway, if you have to jam on the brakes, as soon as you judge the distance in front, next step is to check your rearview mirror. A handful of times over the years, I've managed to avoid being hit from behind by doing so.

People that fail to secure their cargo well enough =
People that stop on a freeway anywhere but the shoulder to pick up thAte crap they dropped =
. At last some one using their mirrors .
Freddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #37
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Move bitch get out the way. If you see me on the highway get the **** out of my way.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm DUI hardly ever caught sober, you bout to get RAN THE FUCCK OVAAA

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #38
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Although I agree that if the blue truck did indeed drop a box on the fwy, then it did cause the accident, then if I were to take the report, I'd put the civic at fault actually. Per the vehicle code, a person must drive at a reasonable speed in regards to traffic or roadway conditions...in this case, a stopped truck on the highway. Because of this, as many of you have mentioned, you're supposed to give yourself enough space cushion etc in case something like this happens. The civic driver did not do so, swerved into the HOV lane and got creamed. It sucks, but the video does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the truck did drop something. However, I'd do everything in my power to write the report as though the blue truck caused the accident and putting the primary collision factor as "other than driver."
I formally request that some day you put the primary collision factor for some accident as "cuz Xcelratr from E46OT said so", please. I look forward to that thread. It will be a great day, with much rejoicing, and fine meats and cheeses.

Yes

Last edited by Xcelratr; 10-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Which dash cam is that?
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Blackvue DR400G-HD

It's not sold anymore because it's outdated by the DR500GW-HD or another brand and model is the Itronics ITB-100HD

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote