E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
brokensmile209

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
need tries advice?

Hi everyone, I have four Michelin 225/45 zr17 sport tires, two of my tries is going out, I need to replace it asap, I don't wants to spend $189 for each tries, my budget is $300 and down for two tries, I need all season tries and performance sport tries, any advice on any good brand tries that would give me a smooth ride and do a good job?

Thank you very much...

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by brokensmile209; 10-12-2013 at 02:41 AM.
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I used to change my tires every six months because of the amount of driving I used to do. Because of that I opted for cheaper tires and started using the Falken Ziex they offer at America's Tires. I have the 225/45 R17's like you. They're only $85 a tire and I think they have a mileage guarantee
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
The last couple of times I bought tires, I purchased them online at www.tirerack.com. Searching on that site yields some pretty good review and ratings information and the prices are great.

I have the tires shipped to my house, then I take them to Wal-Mart to get mounted. They do a great job and they are very inexpensive.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
^+1 TireRack. Also, you might ask in the tire and wheel discussion here.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Well, first of all, how "all-season" do you need? Are we talking about snow/ice, or just low temperature?

The thing is, there's no such thing as a true Ultra High Performance All Season Tire, because by their very nature AS tires are a compromise (and I wish I could kick the idiot who coined the idea). The problem is that it is chemically not possible to have excellent grip in both 0* and 100* weather, and to be able to handle snow as well as scorched pavement. Rubber compounds have a given temperature range in which they work properly, the further you stray in either direction, the worse they perform. Of course, the tread design and ACTUAL contact patch is a big deal too, because shallow, aggressive, and fewer tread grooves will result in a very high grip tire on pavement, and when combined with an aggressive rubber, You get a UHP Summer tire. However, for winter you need much deeper treads, more of them across the tire, and a design that wicks away water, and when combined with a rubber compound designed to remain pliable in freezing temperatures, You get a winter tire.
The summer tire will become very hard in freezing temperature, and it will not be able to'bite' into the snow, resulting in a car that has no traction. The winter tire will become insanely soft in the summer heat, and the rubber will wear away in almost no time.

"All Season" tires are just marketing bull, because You are giving up both the glued to the road grip in the summer because of a smaller contact patch from deeper treads, andalso llosing the ability to drive safely the second a snowflake hits the ground because they aren't using a tread design that can handle snow or ice. Furthermore, the rubber is designed around a "medium" temp, so it's both too hard during summer and winter.

Believe it or not, AS tires are even outperformed in rain by the real good summer tires, with Michelin PS/PS2/PSS being absolutely remarkable in that regard (one of the many reasons why they reign supreme for street cars).

The only thing that they do best is last long, because they are so rarely operated in the proper temp range that they run hard for almost all their life, which combined with the deeper tread means that the company can advertise some 25, 30, even 50 thousand miles of life. Of course they will not last that long, but it makes people buy them.

Basically, I (and probably most people here), drive better using a rear wheel drive car with proper snow tires fitted, than the vast majority of the population does in an AWD or 4WD car/SUV fitted with AS tires.

One of if not the best thing you can do for your safety as well as driving fun, is to have a set of wheels and tires for summer (this is where you would want aftermarket 18-19 inch wheels and PSS tires), and use your stock rims for a set of dedicated winter tires. Swap them either the first snowfall or first week of freezing temperatures, and take em off that day when you can smell spring.

The up front cost is higher, but in the long run I have already saved the cost of three sets of tires (for my 325i; the 328Ci and 740i don't really get used in winter, the former is stored away). Also, it may well save your, or someone else's life.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
Meh I live in NY and will be rocking hankook v12's on the rear this winter. If the snow gets deep ill drive the trusty 2005 Honda civic with it's studded snows.

Last edited by Llink78; 10-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
Well, first of all, how "all-season" do you need? Are we talking about snow/ice, or just low temperature?

The thing is, there's no such thing as a true Ultra High Performance All Season Tire, because by their very nature AS tires are a compromise (and I wish I could kick the idiot who coined the idea). The problem is that it is chemically not possible to have excellent grip in both 0* and 100* weather, and to be able to handle snow as well as scorched pavement. Rubber compounds have a given temperature range in which they work properly, the further you stray in either direction, the worse they perform. Of course, the tread design and ACTUAL contact patch is a big deal too, because shallow, aggressive, and fewer tread grooves will result in a very high grip tire on pavement, and when combined with an aggressive rubber, You get a UHP Summer tire. However, for winter you need much deeper treads, more of them across the tire, and a design that wicks away water, and when combined with a rubber compound designed to remain pliable in freezing temperatures, You get a winter tire.
The summer tire will become very hard in freezing temperature, and it will not be able to'bite' into the snow, resulting in a car that has no traction. The winter tire will become insanely soft in the summer heat, and the rubber will wear away in almost no time.

"All Season" tires are just marketing bull, because You are giving up both the glued to the road grip in the summer because of a smaller contact patch from deeper treads, andalso llosing the ability to drive safely the second a snowflake hits the ground because they aren't using a tread design that can handle snow or ice. Furthermore, the rubber is designed around a "medium" temp, so it's both too hard during summer and winter.

Believe it or not, AS tires are even outperformed in rain by the real good summer tires, with Michelin PS/PS2/PSS being absolutely remarkable in that regard (one of the many reasons why they reign supreme for street cars).

The only thing that they do best is last long, because they are so rarely operated in the proper temp range that they run hard for almost all their life, which combined with the deeper tread means that the company can advertise some 25, 30, even 50 thousand miles of life. Of course they will not last that long, but it makes people buy them.

Basically, I (and probably most people here), drive better using a rear wheel drive car with proper snow tires fitted, than the vast majority of the population does in an AWD or 4WD car/SUV fitted with AS tires.

One of if not the best thing you can do for your safety as well as driving fun, is to have a set of wheels and tires for summer (this is where you would want aftermarket 18-19 inch wheels and PSS tires), and use your stock rims for a set of dedicated winter tires. Swap them either the first snowfall or first week of freezing temperatures, and take em off that day when you can smell spring.

The up front cost is higher, but in the long run I have already saved the cost of three sets of tires (for my 325i; the 328Ci and 740i don't really get used in winter, the former is stored away). Also, it may well save your, or someone else's life.

i live in california, we don't have snow and ice here
Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
brokensmile209

i went to my local america tires and got a quote for 4 pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires for $722 for everything including warranty and all other stuff, if i order online it would cost $452 for 4 tires from tirerack.com because they havea sale going on until oct 19 for $70 mail in rebate

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

i'm thinking of placing the order online and save that extra $200 for a car aligment and paid someone to put my tries on, than paiding $722 at america tries, it have really good review and can also be compare to michelin tires, so what do you guys think about the pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus?

thank you again
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I got continentals DWS for 633 at Americas, mounted balanced and road hazard,,,, I use Tire Rack for race tires..

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznuts007 View Post
I used to change my tires every six months because of the amount of driving I used to do. Because of that I opted for cheaper tires and started using the Falken Ziex they offer at America's Tires. I have the 225/45 R17's like you. They're only $85 a tire and I think they have a mileage guarantee
The 912s (or 612s; same tire but marketed as "in house")? That's what I've been using. It's a really good, quiet and inexpensive tire. Unfortunately due to their popularity they're not 85 bucks anymore. They're about 105 bucks now.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
BM-MAN

My Ride: Hot 3 coupe
Send a message via MSN to BM-MAN
Check out Discount Tire.com, They beat TireRack prices!! I've used them a couple times.
BM-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
dragoncoach

My Ride: '03 325it/Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
i went to my local america tires and got a quote for 4 pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires for $722 for everything including warranty and all other stuff, if i order online it would cost $452 for 4 tires from tirerack.com because they havea sale going on until oct 19 for $70 mail in rebate

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

i'm thinking of placing the order online and save that extra $200 for a car aligment and paid someone to put my tries on, than paiding $722 at america tries, it have really good review and can also be compare to michelin tires, so what do you guys think about the pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus?

thank you again
If you live in Stockton, why are you even considering AS tires? How often do you go to Tahoe? Of those times, how often do you have to chain up? Get a decent set of performance tires and a set of chains (if you need them) and be done with it. Don't skimp on tires.
dragoncoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM-MAN View Post
Check out Discount Tire.com, They beat TireRack prices!! I've used them a couple times.

discounttire take me back to $722, $148 for each tires, tirerack is $132, tirerack beat it so bad
Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
If you live in Stockton, why are you even considering AS tires? How often do you go to Tahoe? Of those times, how often do you have to chain up? Get a decent set of performance tires and a set of chains (if you need them) and be done with it. Don't skimp on tires.

yes, i live in stockton, i don't go to tahoe at all, any you would recommend?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
brokensmile209

well i live in california in stockton, where there is only summer and rain, i don't need all season tires?, so what do i need for my bimmer? i'm not an expert on tires, the tires i have right now on my car is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, i didn't put those on, those are from the previous owner....
Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Try capitol uhp sport. I love them!
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
dragoncoach

My Ride: '03 325it/Jetta TDI
Which tires you buy depends on what type of driving you do and how aggressive you are. Pilot Sports are excellent tires. More companies are coming out with high performance A/S tires that are almost as good as performance summer tires. Try calling tire rack or discount tire and see what they recommend that would suit your budget and driving style. I personally have bought 2 sets this year for my other cars. A set of Yoko Exclaims and a set of Hankook V12's. I don't drive too aggressively anymore so comfort and some grip were my priorities. Your 325 doesn't weigh too much so, if you don't beat on them too often, most "name brand" tires should suffice. Good luck. The rain will be here soon!

Last edited by dragoncoach; 10-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.
dragoncoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Generally I do not recommend just swapping out two tires, as the handling characteristics between the front and rear of the car will be different. $300 for four tires is going to be hard to do though.

You can get two DWSes for around $300, but again, I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching brands/models.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
brokensmile209

what do you guys think, after doing so much research i wanted to go with the michelin pilot sport a/s 3 but that will bring me up to $800 plus with alignment on my car, after some thinking i'm going to settle down with

Falken
Ziex ZE-612+
225/45R17XL

for 4 tires for $300 with free shipping to my house, than i can spend the extra $150 for a shop to put my tires on and get a alignment on my car, a good deal or no? after much thinking i don't want to spend $800 on tires cuz my car already have 180k miles, it an old car i might as well spend the $300 and be happy with it...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
It's taken me many years to finally figure out you get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

I'm currently running Michelin tires on my E46. They are far superior to the Continental tires that were original equipment tires.
I'm running Michelin tires on my Honda Pilot too and can confirm they are far superior to the Goodyear crappy OE tires.

Buy the Michelins online (tirerack.com). Bring them to Wal-Mart to mount them super cheap.

You don't need an alignment. The toothless bonehead who does it will probably just screw up an already correct condition.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote