E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #81
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
^^ Notice how the dog got right back on topic?

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #82
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post

I'd say if we shrunk it to 20% of it's current size that would be optimal. But I'd take as high as 60%.
Why 20-60%? I commend you for being (at least somewhat) politically aware at your age....I'm but 10 years older than you and I know I wasn't very dialed in to politics at the time. However, the one thing I find odd is that you are heavy on vague ideals and light on any sort of detail. The above quoted comment is a perfect example of that.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #83
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Why 20-60%? I commend you for being (at least somewhat) politically aware at your age....I'm but 10 years older than you and I know I wasn't very dialed in to politics at the time. However, the one thing I find odd is that you are heavy on vague ideals and light on any sort of detail. The above quoted comment is a perfect example of that.
Any fool can predict that pressing the gas pedal will cause the car to accelerate. Most people can't explain to you why though...it simply escapes them.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #84
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Rallier calls for revolution, for Obama to put the Quran down and leave town! C

Quote:

I think we've already established that I'm not your average college student.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by MDydinanM; 10-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #85
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
I'd say if we shrunk it to 20% of it's current size that would be optimal. But I'd take as high as 60%.
How did you arrive at these numbers?

Quote:
How about the obesity problem that liberals rally around? This is worsened by the government?
How so?

Quote:
Oh my look at this crazy libertarian! He wants a little government intervention that's so crazy I thought they wanted chaos!
So you would keep the EPA? What would you get rid of?

Quote:
You think that because I'm against a police state that I'm going to get rid of all police. Actually, my government will have harsher policies against violent crime like murder and rape.
Read thoroughly. I never made any such claim.

Quote:
To the point that the appropriate size of the government is blurred between the political parties. Republicans typically say it's too big, Democrats say it's too small. For the most part, both parties now say it is too big.
Really? I haven't heard that.

Quote:
It is too big.
But you can neither quantify by how much it is too big nor explain which parts you'd cut and/or keep. You'd like to cut it to 20% based on what? Yet, somehow, you've arrived at the number that 60% of current size would be worth settling for.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #86
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Thank you. And I'm deliberately vague because what exactly must be cut(I'll check my past threads and make up a list of my ideas.) is just opinion. But the fact that the government cannot survive at its current size is undeniable. The budget simply can't support a government this large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post

Because I'm a typical drunk college sh!thead.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 10-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #87
MDydinanM

Quote:
Because I'm a typical drunk college sh!thead.
your words, not mine
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #88
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
How did you arrive at these numbers?
It's just an estimate. I would check into how much the budget has to be reduced in order to sustain an actual government and go from there.

Quote:
How so?
Without getting too much into it, I would stop government intervention. The same people who claim to be anti-corporate are betrayed by their government because what they don't know is that government subsidizes things like sugar and corn producers. This makes sugar and corn syrup cheaper to produce which in turn gives unhealthy food a low price and healthy food a high price.

Quote:
So you would keep the EPA? What would you get rid of?
"Now let me be clear." (Did you get the reference?) I will keep the EPA but its size will be drastically reduced as well. It served its purpose in the 70's but once most of the work it could do was done, it just became a money waster.

Quote:
Read thoroughly. I never made any such claim.
Say what you want. You insinuated it.

Quote:
Really? I haven't heard that.
I'll find it. Or maybe AoG will.

Quote:
But you can neither quantify by how much it is too big nor explain which parts you'd cut and/or keep. You'd like to cut it to 20% based on what? Yet, somehow, you've arrived at the number that 60% of current size would be worth settling for.
I'm looking for my list in another thread.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #89
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
your words, not mine
Some say I do understand sarcasm, so long as it's my own.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #90
'busa

Quote:
It's just an estimate. I would check into how much the budget has to be reduced in order to sustain an actual government and go from there.
OK, before we go any further. Or actually, in ORDER for us to go any further...

Are you really serious about this? If you want to think about whether your ideas are realistic, here's a few tools:

NY Times Budget Puzzle
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Marketplace's Budget Hero

Take a crack at any of these and post a screenshot of what you come up with!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #91
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
OK, before we go any further. Or actually, in ORDER for us to go any further...

Are you really serious about this? If you want to think about whether your ideas are realistic, here's a few tools:

NY Times Budget Puzzle
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Marketplace's Budget Hero

Take a crack at any of these and post a screenshot of what you come up with!
the first one is a bit dated, but man, just reducing our military spending will at least cut in 1/2 the 2015 shortfall. Get things back to pre-9/11 levels. And i'd be ok with raising the age limit for SS

Last edited by MDydinanM; 10-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #92
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
In this day and age, our generation is being forced to rebuild this crumbling nation thus taking on a general curiosity for politics at a much younger age so as to get a jump start on the lifelong challenges that await us. The generations before us obviously didn't give a damn if they put the nation into the state it's in today. Prior to 2008, life was swell.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 10-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #93
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
In this day and age, our generation is being forced to rebuild this crumbling nation thus taking on a general curiosity for politics at a much younger age so as to get a jump start on the lifelong challenges that await us. The generations before us obviously didn't give a damn if they put the nation into the state it's in today. Prior to 2008, life was swell.
ftfy

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-15-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #94
bimmerfan08

Quote:
ftfy
Forgot how close in age we were.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #95
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Of course it is relative, but my opinion is that current government is too large.
Great. Your opinion and $4.50 and I can buy a latte.

Quote:
Obviously, this is a generalization. Not everyone plays the victim card. But most do. Welcome to 'murica.
Obviously most don't. If they did you would have much higher unemployment. It would be over 50% because all those victims would be looking for handouts. The truth is most americans are hard working, industrious people who are not playing the victim card. But, that story doesn't play well on tv (regardless of the network)

Quote:
Thank you for accepting that anarchy is not the same as free market.
No...Anarchy is better. The "free market", even in your grand delusion, is an illusion.

Quote:
I've said many times that I will keep pollution controls. But green energy is a different story.
So you are against government regulations for business, except when they suit you. That makes you no better than any other political hack.

Quote:
Why do all the opponents of libertarianism think that we are going to disband the entire government and let people run free killing each other. This is just unrealistic.
Don't worry, I know libertarians aren't going to do that, even if you/they could magically control the government. You/they don't have the balls. It is the biggest issue I have with libertarians, at the end of the day, they never seem to really have the courage of their convictions.

Quote:
I've also gone over this, but here is a summary. Any money I get from my parents was given to me by them voluntarily and they were not forced to do so by the government. I also don't believe I'm entitled to it.
This has nothing to do with your parents. You don't have to take the money, and yet you do. You claim to be all for people standing on their own two feet and people "helping themselves". Yet, you are merely helping yourself to other people's money. They are freely offering it and that is generous of them. But, you are taking it. You are no better than those leeching the welfare system. Whether either of you feel entitled to it is irrelevant. It is an action, pure and simple. Your personal action is no better or worse than theirs.

When you are really standing on your own two feet and really "helping yourself", then come tell me how bad all these other people are and how f**ked up this all is. Until then, you are merely a spectator.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #96
MDydinanM

Rallier calls for revolution, for Obama to put the Quran down and leave town! C

Lair should appreciate this

It was in the Washington Post.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #97
'busa

Lol!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #98
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
I'm sorry, but, that is just a stupid f-ing remark.

Oh please...cry me a f**king river. The generations before you were taking on more than a general curiosity about politics. They were taking on politics. You might not agree with their stances in the 60's, 70's, & 80's, but they were as, if not more, directly active than people are today.

Maybe you are to young to have heard the cries of deficit spending in the 80's and how the younger generations would be saddled with this problem. But, hey...It's not on youtube so it must not have happened. The world existed before the net and prior to 2008 we were just as f**ked.

I won't even go into the politics of teenagers and early 20-somethings in the 60's & 70's.

Seriously...talk about playing the victim card. Grow a bleepin pair...for cryin out loud.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #99
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post

Oh please...cry me a f**king river. The generations before you were taking on more than a general curiosity about politics. They were taking on politics. You might not agree with their stances in the 60's, 70's, & 80's, but they were as, if not more, directly active than people are today.

Maybe you are to young to have heard the cries of deficit spending in the 80's and how the younger generations would be saddled with this problem. But, hey...It's not on youtube so it must not have happened. The world existed before the net and prior to 2008 we were just as f**ked.

I won't even go into the politics of teenagers and early 20-somethings in the 60's & 70's.

Seriously...talk about playing the victim card. Grow a bleepin pair...for cryin out loud.
:Cues in Evolved:

It worked! How did I know it would piss off one of my elders?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #100
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post

Quote:
:Cues in Evolved:

It worked! How did I know it would piss off one of my elders?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig