E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
cwho

My Ride: is black
Send a message via AIM to cwho
04 M3 Fair price?

Hi Guys, Its been a very long time since I have been on this forum!!! I had an e46 325ci way back and since then I have had an e92 335i, range rover sport and sl55, but I think it's time to come back to bmw!

Long story short, I have always wanted an e46 M3 and lately I have been looking at them. So I found an 04 e46 M3 in great condition with smg and 43k miles for $23k. So I wanted to ask you guys what you think a fair price would be?

Thanks in advance!
cwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Little C

My Ride: M3, 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwho View Post
Hi Guys, Its been a very long time since I have been on this forum!!! I had an e46 325ci way back and since then I have had an e92 335i, range rover sport and sl55, but I think it's time to come back to bmw!

Long story short, I have always wanted an e46 M3 and lately I have been looking at them. So I found an 04 e46 M3 in great condition with smg and 43k miles for $23k. So I wanted to ask you guys what you think a fair price would be?

Thanks in advance!
It's way to hard to give you a fair estimate based on that little of information. First glance in seems a little high but we need more info.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Arthur_Karagezian

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
get a ppi
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
ldireprophil

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
I just bought a 2004 M3 Vert with 69,000 miles in great condition for $17,500 so I would think you could do a lot better. But what do I know, I'm new to the BMW world.

ldireprophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Mf3st

My Ride: e46M3
Well the mileage is not bad as for this year. If it's fully loaded clean and in good condition just get the Pre purchase inspection. All good? Give the guy $22 and be happy.

Honestly.. I wouldn't go with smg in e46 but this is just me.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
cwho

My Ride: is black
Send a message via AIM to cwho
Thanks for your input guys...
cwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
preeble

My Ride: F10 550, E46 M3
I would say that it depends, primarily driven by how much money (if any at all) that you feel you would want to dump into the car when you buy it. How much more life do the tires and brakes have in them? Is the car close to needing any service (oil change, etc.). Are there any small issues (such as rear view mirror getting discolored) that you would want to fix? To me, that is the difference between an $18k car and a $22k car. Honestly, if I had my choice, I would pick the $18k that I needed to spend money on so I knew it was done right (assuming the mechanicals in both cars checked out).

When I purchased my M3, I immediately got an oil change despite being told by the previous owner that he just changed the oil as I wanted to make sure that the proper oil in the car was used.
preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Mf3st

My Ride: e46M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by preeble View Post
I would say that it depends, primarily driven by how much money (if any at all) that you feel you would want to dump into the car when you buy it. How much more life do the tires and brakes have in them? Is the car close to needing any service (oil change, etc.). Are there any small issues (such as rear view mirror getting discolored) that you would want to fix? To me, that is the difference between an $18k car and a $22k car. Honestly, if I had my choice, I would pick the $18k that I needed to spend money on so I knew it was done right (assuming the mechanicals in both cars checked out).

When I purchased my M3, I immediately got an oil change despite being told by the previous owner that he just changed the oil as I wanted to make sure that the proper oil in the car was used.

Well said.

But it doesn't mean anything that you have changed the oil right after you purchased your car. Honestly there is plenty of the cars that they run on the same oil a thousand.. thousand miles and then right before the owner puts the car on the market he change the oil, tires etc.
S54 engines are strong enough to hold shitty oil, as long as you do valve adjustment and vanos you can run burned oil with no problems.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Fside

My Ride: 2004 M3 convertible
04 M3 Fair price?

Last may I bought an 04 convertible SMG with 21,689 mikes on it for $22,000. Took me several months to find and I was about to give up all together when some one posted it on cars.com. Keep looking they're out there
Agree with the earlier posts. Get a pre purchase inspection. Worth every penny!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Fside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Cb1

My Ride: E?
Got an 04 vert smg. I got a company to inspect it for a fee. It got 97/100
69,100 miles
$18,500
Cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Is maintenance up to date? What do records say? If nothing has been done, $18k. If everything has been done then 22k is fair I'd say. But if nothing was done it's probably gonna be $4k+ to get all maintenance done
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Dutchy007

My Ride: 2003 M3 conv. Topaz
Ditto to the oil change when get a M3 without service history ! I just bought mine , Topaz 2003 M3 vert w. 65K for 22K here in LA . Independent Dealer (non BMW ) said service had been done but I had the car inspected soon after purchase . My local indie BMW mechanic said it had the wrong oil in it . So good idea to change to the correct oil , ( Castrol TWS 10w-60 ) At least they put a new set of tires on it .
Dealer also missed a few small problems when I inspected the car but they fixed these under warranty . Now happy with my first M3 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00264.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	534416  

Last edited by Dutchy007; 11-11-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add picture
Dutchy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy007 View Post
Ditto to the oil change when get a M3 without service history ! I just bought mine , Topaz 2003 M3 vert w. 65K for 22K here in LA . Independent Dealer (non BMW ) said service had been done but I had the car inspected soon after purchase . My local indie BMW mechanic said it had the wrong oil in it . So good idea to change to the correct oil , ( Castrol TWS 10w-60 ) At least they put a new set of tires on it .
Dealer also missed a few small problems when I inspected the car but they fixed these under warranty . Now happy with my first M3 !
If the wrong oil was used in the car, I wouldn't trust that the service was done... at least the right way.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
ChevDog1

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3 Vert
Just bought my '02 6 speed vert last month. 12,500 miles with all options (19" wheels, nav, both tops, etc. etc.). Fully documented history, and every scrap of paper associated with the car since new. Got it from the original owner for $18k.

Mine probably falls outside the "normal" range for these cars.
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
Just bought my '02 6 speed vert last month. 12,500 miles with all options (19" wheels, nav, both tops, etc. etc.). Fully documented history, and every scrap of paper associated with the car since new. Got it from the original owner for $18k.

Mine probably falls outside the "normal" range for these cars.
Wow you got REALLY lucky

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
ChevDog1

Really lucky - I know.

My dad ordered this car for a friend brand new in 02. The guy just never really used the car. Added Eisenmann exhaust, clear bra, wet okole seat covers for when the top was down. He is a total enthusiast. Even included his collection of every magazine in 02 that had an article on the car. I am very fortunate to have this car.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
drdaveM3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
Really lucky - I know.

My dad ordered this car for a friend brand new in 02. The guy just never really used the car. Added Eisenmann exhaust, clear bra, wet okole seat covers for when the top was down. He is a total enthusiast. Even included his collection of every magazine in 02 that had an article on the car. I am very fortunate to have this car.
VERY fortunate -- that a once in a life deal on an M3 I'd say !!
drdaveM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
ChevDog1

Definitely once in a lifetime. I wasn't even shopping for one!

I had just sold my 2000 M5 - it was having transmission problems, and i decided to sell it (I told the buyer about the issue), and just drive my X5 until my daughters get their licenses, then figure out what to get next. It was only a week after I sold the M5 that this came up. What are the odds...
Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
ZouchGuy

My Ride: 13 WRX & 91 E30
Hey Chev, I'm researching e46 M3 values and wondering for example why Edmunds would value your car at $18,500 assuming it is fully loaded and in absolute minty condition? It says the person to person value is $15,500. Is Edmunds really that far off reality. Since Edmunds is based on actual market data its a bit confusing. I've never seen such a disparity before when shopping. Thanks.
ZouchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
ChevDog1

From what I have seen in my research, the standard agencies (KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc.) do not seem to track these cars very well. In reality, they are trading quite a bit higher than that. In searching forums, most are buying cars with much higher miles and less documentation than mine for thousands more.

Looking at EAG's website this morning, they have the same car as mine in LSB, and they are asking $33,990. It has roughly the same miles and is only 1 year newer. The only real difference between their car and mine is the color, and theirs doesn't have a hardtop.