E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
mwt330i

My Ride: 2004 330i 6speed
Glamor pics of my Z4 Roadster

My friends tease me because I'm always cleaning the car and never driving it. So here is proof that I actually do drive it. My wife and I took a spin down to the Catskills today and rode over the Rip Van Winkle bridge with the top down. It was 68F and sunny. Did about 120 miles today just cruising the back roads and enjoying the countryside of southeastern NY. Here are a couple of pics of my "show car". I'm so neurotic that I put special brake pads on last week that don't make black dust and dirty the wheels. I also painted the rotor hubs to freshen it up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 14 2013 001.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	530815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 14 2013 003.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	530816  
mwt330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt330i View Post
I'm so neurotic that I put special brake pads on last week that don't make black dust and dirty the wheels.
Nice Z4, but you do know that braking will wear one thing or another. Those low-dust pads might not soil the wheels as fast, but they are wearing the rotors out faster than OE. Just saying.

Maybe your obsession with clean supercedes your concern for wearing parts out prematurely. I always found the OE brake pads stopped better.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Nice Z4, but you do know that braking will wear one thing or another. Those low-dust pads might not soil the wheels as fast, but they are wearing the rotors out faster than OE. Just saying.

Maybe your obsession with clean supercedes your concern for wearing parts out prematurely. I always found the OE brake pads stopped better.
^ not sure if that first sentence is true. even if it is though, rotors are to be changed with every pad change anyway. so moot point.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: Glamor pics of my Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
rotors are to be changed with every pad change anyway. so moot point.
Is this another "mango maintenance schedule" item or is this actually in print from BMW somewhere?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
ian02

My Ride: 05 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Is this another "mango maintenance schedule" item or is this actually in print from BMW somewhere?

Common knowledge throughout the BMW community. Techs/parts guys/aftermarket/dealership service depts, etc all say the same thing. If you look on the side of the hat of the rotor you will see a minimum thickness measurement in millimeters, when you wear through a set of pads you should be at or very near this measurement.

This is also why those same people will tell you not to turn rotors for BMW's. They are meant to be replaced with each pad change.
ian02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: Glamor pics of my Z4 Roadster

Yes, if your rotors are below the minimum thickness etched onto the rotor then they need to be replaced, but if they aren't, they should be good until the next pad change. That is true with every car. It may be the case that the rotors and pads both need replacing, but it isn't automatic or always necessary.

tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Yes, if your rotors are below the minimum thickness etched onto the rotor then they need to be replaced, but if they aren't, they should be good until the next pad change. That is true with every car. It may be the case that the rotors and pads both need replacing, but it isn't automatic or always necessary.

when dealing with brakes, i don't muck around. just replace it together. it's safest and provides the best performance

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
^ not sure if that first sentence is true. even if it is though, rotors are to be changed with every pad change anyway. so moot point.
It's true though.

Changing rotors with pads is good practice I suppose, no doubt recommended by BMW and probably better warranted when using low-dust pads since they chew the rotors faster as they are usually of a semi-metallic composition vs OE organic. But there are new alternatives that might address both dust & rotor wear, so your point about the moot point might be a valid point.

For me, I generally mic the rotors until the minimum is reached then I wear that set of pads out & change everything the next time around. Never really had a problem with fade or pulsation with the way i drive. I have absolutely nothing but respect for people who change parts out preventively and used to do it myself. I have MB experience mostly though, and MB parts are really much more expensive than BMW. Like OE waterpumps are $350, and this would be for a '95 E320 for example. Not being a fan of aftermarket generally had me spending a lot of money on proper repairs. I've gotten to the point where I'm just sick and tired of the constant monetary hemorrhaging so I have begun to tighten the purse strings and be a lot more critical of the repairs I now perform.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 10-14-2013 at 04:01 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
mwt330i

My Ride: 2004 330i 6speed
I actually did replace the rotors.....ECS Tuning had brembos for the same price as you'd pay for regular auto parts store brands.....The brake pads in question are Wearever Gold which I have used on cars for years and they don't seem to cause additional wear on the rotors. They are a semi metallic pad, but don't seem to throw brake dust like some OEM's do...
mwt330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
i think you may be the first forum member to put "wearevers" on a bmw. i like the z4 and the RVW bridge is a great area and drive.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
dubsesd

My Ride: dub
Very nice. Beautiful car!
2006 ///M Coupe TiAg / IR -- H&R coilovers/RPI exhaust/ZHP knob/19" Morr vs8.2 hand brushed/Stoptech 355mm 6/4 BBK/Michelin PSS/gloss black kidneys/painted gloss black roof/mstache 2 front lip/AFE dry intake/colormatch corners/black chrome //M badges/rear diffuser/aeroskirts/rogue mounts/DKF adjustable hangers/22%tint/euromode lighting/LED interior & plate lighting/BMW black pedals
dubsesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Nice Z4. I love those rims
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
It's true though.

Changing rotors with pads is good practice I suppose, no doubt recommended by BMW and probably better warranted when using low-dust pads since they chew the rotors faster as they are usually of a semi-metallic composition vs OE organic. But there are new alternatives that might address both dust & rotor wear, so your point about the moot point might be a valid point.

For me, I generally mic the rotors until the minimum is reached then I wear that set of pads out & change everything the next time around. Never really had a problem with fade or pulsation with the way i drive. I have absolutely nothing but respect for people who change parts out preventively and used to do it myself. I have MB experience mostly though, and MB parts are really much more expensive than BMW. Like OE waterpumps are $350, and this would be for a '95 E320 for example. Not being a fan of aftermarket generally had me spending a lot of money on proper repairs. I've gotten to the point where I'm just sick and tired of the constant monetary hemorrhaging so I have begun to tighten the purse strings and be a lot more critical of the repairs I now perform.
This is the way to do it.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
when dealing with brakes, i don't muck around. just replace it together. it's safest and provides the best performance
This.

Nice Z, OP!

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 10-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote