E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
gabriox

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325xi
angel eyes question.

i have the 2002 facelifted 325xi with xenon lights. i am a bit confused about how this angel eyes works. my low beam are yellow in color. and the angel eyes are white looking in color. does the angel eye replaces the low beam? i want mine to be turn on during the day and night like the yellow light that is always on. and which one should i get? khoalty or umnitza. thanks
gabriox is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
angels do not replace your low beam, they come in different colors, usually white (5000k) or yellow (4300k) i believe. so pick your choice..

there are many different ways to plug them, most people do it to run with the DRL, there are several instructions on how to properly install them just do a quick search.. as per the seller, both companies are reputable..

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriox View Post
i have the 2002 facelifted 325xi with xenon lights. i am a bit confused about how this angel eyes works. my low beam are yellow in color. and the angel eyes are white looking in color. does the angel eye replaces the low beam? i want mine to be turn on during the day and night like the yellow light that is always on. and which one should i get? khoalty or umnitza. thanks
No the angel eyes don't replace the low beams, in order to have them on at all times you just have to wire them to always on in the dme box which isn't hard and as far as what brand to go with it's entirely up to you
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
i think he meant his DRLs, which, are the lights in the middle correct? you want them on with those? if so, one of the power wires for the angel eyes need to be tapped into one of your middle pair of headlights. i would look into replacing the middle bulbs which are halogen to a color more matched to your angel eyes.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-15-2013 at 01:37 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
limpiabota809

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
i think he meant his DRLs, which, are the lights in the middle correct? you want them on with those? if so, one of the power wires for the angel eyes need to be tapped into one of your middle pair of headlights. i would look into replacing the middle bulbs which are halogen to a color more matched to your angel eyes.
For them to run always on you don't need to tap into the DRL's
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
gabriox

Quote:
i thought mine were xenon. they look like the pic i posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
For them to run always on you don't need to tap into the DRL's
now i am confused . i want them to be like the picture below. during the day. same when at night but with the low beam. can i get a shop to do it for me? because i don't wanna mess with the headlights at all.

Last edited by gabriox; 10-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
gabriox

bump!!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
limpiabota809

No need to tap into the headlights at all, just the dme box it'll take you about an hr on your first try to make it a clean install

You'll wire it so that they are always on by tapping into the red and yellow wire in the dme box, this will make sure that whenever the car is on the angel eyes turn on...most angel eyes come with an extra trigger wire so that you can run it to the footwell lights and have them dim in and out when you lock and unlock your car
Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
limpiabota809

In order to look like the picture you posted you would need to disable your DRL's as I see the picture is in the day time, if not then in the day time the angel eyes will be on as well as the yellow drls...in the night time both angel eyes and xenon's will be on
Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
gabriox

Quote:
No need to tap into the headlights at all, just the dme box it'll take you about an hr on your first try to make it a clean install

You'll wire it so that they are always on by tapping into the red and yellow wire in the dme box, this will make sure that whenever the car is on the angel eyes turn on...most angel eyes come with an extra trigger wire so that you can run it to the footwell lights and have them dim in and out when you lock and unlock your car
i wish i knew what you were talking about i will research some more. do i have to bake my head lights?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
limpiabota809

Quote:
i wish i knew what you were talking about i will research some more. do i have to bake my head lights?
No, the headlight lenses have to be removed to place the angel eyes on but that's extremely easy I'll get the DIY I used so you could follow it, it's really simple
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
limpiabota809

Use this

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=855315
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
angel eyes question.

Fastm.com

Go to the e46 m3, DIY and Orion v2 angel eyes. Takes an hour or so to instal them. No baking needed for your car

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Hey. Our angel eyes ship for free because we dropped our free shipping promo to 100 instead of 150, epic deal.

About the angel eyes. Using the guide above you will achieve this:

Angel Eyes that are always on when your car is running (taking place of the yellow light that's currently always on)
Angel Eyes that turn on when your low beams are on (light position 2)
Angel Eyes that fade on and off with your interior lights (when you lock and unlock the car the angel eyes will fade on and off like your interior lights)
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
gabriox

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Fastm.com
Go to the e46 m3, DIY and Orion v2 angel eyes. Takes an hour or so to instal them. No baking needed for your car
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
thanks for the link guys. the procedure look hectic especially the wiring part. but i am a very handy when it come to removing and putting things together but when it comes to wires i fail hard i wonder if there is member here from maryland that can help me.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Now in the picture, the angel eyes are on without the amber's corners. If you want that, you will need to do a couple of things. Tap into the Drl wires in the dme box located at upper right corner of engine bay. An allen wrench will get it open. That way it'll always be on when your car is on. Also, I believe you need to currently have the Drl function activated on your car for that right guys?

Meaning the pair of inside bulbs of his headlights currently must turn on whenever his car is on but automatically turn off when low beams come on. Anyways, the relay module that usually comes with angel eyes will require you to tap the other wire (perhaps yellow), to be tapped into the low beam so when low beams come on, the angel eyes that are currently on will not turn off, but stay on. Or you can skip all that and tap the red wire into your fog lights and disconnect your fog lights, so whenever you hit your fog lights, the angel eyes will turn on but that means your amber corners will come on with them unless you do a euro corner delete.

Confused? Just do more reading and you'll eventually get what I'm saying
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #17
gabriox

Quote:
Now in the picture, the angel eyes are on without the amber's corners. If you want that, you will need to do a couple of things. Tap into the Drl wires in the dme box located at upper right corner of engine bay. An allen wrench will get it open. That way it'll always be on when your car is on. Also, I believe you need to currently have the Drl function activated on your car for that right guys?

Meaning the pair of inside bulbs of his headlights currently must turn on whenever his car is on but automatically turn off when low beams come on. Anyways, the relay module that usually comes with angel eyes will require you to tap the other wire (perhaps yellow), to be tapped into the low beam so when low beams come on, the angel eyes that are currently on will not turn off, but stay on. Or you can skip all that and tap the red wire into your fog lights and disconnect your fog lights, so whenever you hit your fog lights, the angel eyes will turn on but that means your amber corners will come on with them unless you do a euro corner delete.

Confused? Just do more reading and you'll eventually get what I'm saying
i get the theory now but the wiring is confusing me. but i get how it works now. i want mine to light up all the time even if the low beam is on. i just check my light and my low beam are white. i want to get rid of the drl yellow lights and replace them with the angel eyes. and to do this i have to tap the wire in the dme box right? but if i turn on the low beam the drl lights turns off. to keep them on i have to tap the low beam too right? i hope iam right. but the wiring is scaring me lol. i dont want to get frustrated at all.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
djmogovan

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
i get the theory now but the wiring is confusing me. but i get how it works now. i want mine to light up all the time even if the low beam is on. i just check my light and my low beam are white. i want to get rid of the drl yellow lights and replace them with the angel eyes. and to do this i have to tap the wire in the dme box right? but if i turn on the low beam the drl lights turns off. to keep them on i have to tap the low beam too right? i hope iam right. but the wiring is scaring me lol. i dont want to get frustrated at all.
So this is what you want:
-Angel Eyes on ALL THE TIME (besides when the car is off)
-You want your DRL (the little halogen bulbs, right?) to stay off and never turn on

To achieve this, you do not want to tap into the DRL. Tap into the red/yellow wire that was specified somewhere here (should be on the website where you bought your angel eyes from) in your ECU Box (DME) near the driver side of the windshield. It's covered by a lid secured with I believe 4 torx/hex bolts? (correct me if im wrong guys).

Then the company you bought your angel eyes from should have provided you a splice to connect two wires together.

As for the DRL always being off, you could either:
-remove the bulb (dont know if error will show for bulb missing)
or
-get someone to code your LCM (Light control Module) to where the DRLs always stay off.
djmogovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
limpiabota809

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmogovan View Post
So this is what you want:
-Angel Eyes on ALL THE TIME (besides when the car is off)
-You want your DRL (the little halogen bulbs, right?) to stay off and never turn on

To achieve this, you do not want to tap into the DRL. Tap into the red/yellow wire that was specified somewhere here (should be on the website where you bought your angel eyes from) in your ECU Box (DME) near the driver side of the windshield. It's covered by a lid secured with I believe 4 torx/hex bolts? (correct me if im wrong guys).

Then the company you bought your angel eyes from should have provided you a splice to connect two wires together.

As for the DRL always being off, you could either:
-remove the bulb (dont know if error will show for bulb missing)
or
-get someone to code your LCM (Light control Module) to where the DRLs always stay off.
yes youre right removing bulbs will throw a code, so if he wants DRL off then the car will need to be coded

Op just follow the tutorial I posted earlier and you should be golden
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
gabriox

Quote:
yes youre right removing bulbs will throw a code, so if he wants DRL off then the car will need to be coded

Op just follow the tutorial I posted earlier and you should be golden
so that tutorial you posted will make my angel eyes on all the time as well as the drl? i know how to remove the headlights and install the angel eyes. its just the wiring that confuses me. i wish there was a clearer DIY GUIDE. does the Orion v2 comes with a guide?