E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Kayss

My Ride: Bmw 328i 1999
Xenon auto adjust isn't working

Today I realized my right headlights are off balance and every time I start the car they should auto adjust. What I'm noticing is that only the left side headlight are auto adjusting. Is there something unplugged, or a broken sensor? I bought the car 3 weeks ago and I don't know much about it. The guy before me had installed the xenon lights with blue halos and I haven't realized the auto adjustment problem until now. Any solutions? It's a 328i 1999 (e46)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kayss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
does it have stock hids? where as the ballast are built into the headlights themselves? or do you see separate ballast sitting outside the headlights?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Kayss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
does it have stock hids? where as the ballast are built into the headlights themselves? or do you see separate ballast sitting outside the headlights?
What do you mean by ballast?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

on the chrome pieces that surround the glass eyeball to your outside pair of headlights (projectors) is there a word xenon engraved along it?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Kayss

Yeah there is

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Kayss

Quote:
on the chrome pieces that surround the glass eyeball to your outside pair of headlights (projectors) is there a word xenon engraved along it?
There's a separate ballast and "xenon" is engraved on it

Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

Well... I'm not familiar with OE ballast setup but I can't tell what you have take pictures
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Kayss

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381888138.172238.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	531005

Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

For one I think those may be illegal and 2 I meant of the ballast although from the etchings on the chrome shrouds surrounding the glass projector eye, it may be that you have oem headlights meaning you should have the correct setup. Why auto adjust doesn't work on one side? Well it auto adjust based on sensors located underneath the front and rear of your car. Google up those sensors locations. They may need to be looked at for damage or disconnection

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-15-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Kayss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayss View Post
There's a separate ballast and "xenon" is engraved on it

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381888214.752266.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	531006 Is there a reason why the left side halos aren't as strong? I'm pretty sure they should last a long time? Or is it just a dirty lens, I've got no clue tbh

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Kayss

No they aren't illegal here and I don't know man but in the first picture you can see where it says xenon so I thought that's what you wanted.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
NumbaOneNewb

Take a picture without the eyes on. Plus it looks like those are the gas filled angel eyes that need ballasts. They are not as bright or reliable as leds, but the side that isn't so bright could be due to a weaken ballast or the gas itself in the rings. Try swapping the ballasts for the angel eyes and see if the problem follows
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Kayss

Quote:
Take a picture without the eyes on. Plus it looks like those are the gas filled angel eyes that need ballasts. They are not as bright or reliable as leds, but the side that isn't so bright could be due to a weaken ballast or the gas itself in the rings. Try swapping the ballasts for the angel eyes and see if the problem follows
What is the ballast exactly haha? And yeah I'll get you a picture in a sec

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

Take a picture of the backside (with hood lifted where bulbs are inserted) of the headlights
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
Kayss

Quote:

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381889096.908767.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	531007

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381889148.902802.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	531008

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Kayss

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381889221.272888.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	531009

This is the left side and it looks like the eye is out of place, is that just the adjustment that it's on

Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

I don't think those are oem for one. If you go on ebay and Google up bmw e46 oem headlights you'll see the difference. Now since yours are not oem, i don't expect them to have auto adjust but you say the left side works?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

The eye may look uneven because the projectors were custom fabricated, which isnt so bad.

take a look at this link http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=130769866117. It's the entire kit for your angel eyes. Look for those little black boxes

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Kayss

Quote:
I don't think those are oem for one. If you go on ebay and Google up bmw e46 oem headlights you'll see the difference. Now since yours are not oem, i don't expect them to have auto adjust but you say the left side works?
Yeah haha every time I switch it on I can hear and see it move up and down. I seriously don't think my mechanic knows anything about these lights and I don't want to pay to get something so small checked out, what do you suggest I do? I can also post a pic of it adjusting when I'm able to start her after I get some repairs done

Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Kayss

Do the angel eyes need to be replaced over time? And what does the black box do