E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
PANDAemic

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Ebay projector question

So I bought a pair of projectors for my E46 for a really, really good price off craigslist. I did some research and I found the projectors I bought on ebay.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these? I plan on modifying them with either FXR or TSX-R lens, new shroud and a custom cutoff.

How are they comparable to the Depo P46 headlights? In terms of modify and output.
Also where can I get a wiring harness for the angel eyes?
PANDAemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
PANDAemic

Bump this up, I really need some advice.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Ebay projector question

You've bought cheap chinese knockoffs. Buy OEM projectors, depo projectors, or follow a lighting DIY on here.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Ebay projector question

+1. I wouldn't bother cutting up the eBay ones becuase they might leak, the plastic might break, etc

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
PANDAemic

So far from looking and actually taking time to inspect them, they're built pretty well. Depo quality. I was wondering if anybody tried what I was about to attempt. I haven't even bothered putting them on my car just yet.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
I highly doubt they are well built. And depos are low quality.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
PANDAemic

Pretty sure they came out of the same factory as Depos P46 headlights after comparing them to my friends. It seems like you guys are against modding and want me to spend more money that I don't have.

Like I said, I bought these headlights at a fraction of the cost that they're going for on eBay. If anything ever goes wrong, I can just cut my losses and just put the parts I spent on these lights and retrofit them onto my stock Halogens.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
CharlzO
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAemic View Post
It seems like you guys are against modding and want me to spend more money that I don't have.
It's more about guys on here having already gone through this stuff, and realizing what works, what doesn't, what parts are quality and what isn't. It's not against modding, it's the complete opposite. Instead of performing mods that are subpar, it's trying to guide people towards what is known to work and work effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAemic
If anything ever goes wrong, I can just cut my losses and just put the parts I spent on these lights and retrofit them onto my stock Halogens.
And this ties in with the "spend more money that I don't have". If you had stock lights, you could've easily put what you spent on these things, and saved it towards just retrofitting into your stock, as the DIY outlines. I'm the first one to admit, I have crappy ebay headlights from the previous owner. There are two reasons I haven't changed. One, I don't have stocks to put on or modify for projectors, so for me to replace my lights, I need to buy more outright. And two, they physically do work, so even though they aren't the greatest, the work enough so that I've been able to put money into other things the car actually has needed, mostly maintenance. But as soon as I can find a good deal on stock headlights and corners, I'm going to them, and I'll do the projectors later on when I can fit it in. There's a reason these things are cheap.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
PANDAemic

The biggest thing I don't want to ruin my stock lights. If for whatever reason I had to go back to regular headlights or I mess up so much that I had to trash these headlights, I don't want to spend another 100-200 on getting OEM halogens and start over. Pretty much in the same position as you.

I know people have modded the Depo and made good use to them just by adding a new lens (roughly $50 or so) and I wanted to try it out. Basically, I only really picked up these headlights as a project to mess around with without having to fear ruining and losing my only set of OEM headlights, sort of like a trash pair. Like I said, I bought them for dirt.