E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
What's the purpose of this modified harmonic damper?
Will it be lighter?
Or customisable in size? or a split setup? (like the s54; a separate pulley and a separate damper so an alternative size pulley is easier made)
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
Is this damper based on an early 5 rib ac pulley or the 2003 upgraded damper with 4 rib belt? What about am installation tool?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
BMW changed from part number 11231438995 to 11237513862 in 09/2002. I think the only difference is the earlier model used a 5 rib belt for the air conditioning compressor and changed it to a 4 rib belt.
It looks like people can and do run a 4 rib belt on the 5 rib compressor.

We should be able to stir up a couple installation tools and circulate them. I have a machine shop and other people on this list have made the tool. It shouldn't be a problem.

Click here for my Build Thread
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Last edited by da Vinci; 01-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.
da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I MAY be in on this, if anyone can explain the benefits of one on a purely Street car...

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
jolaine

My Ride: E46 330 cabrio
Anything new on this? I need a new harmonic damper on for my 330. The engine is out for some winter overhauling (its a cabrio) so that it will last for the next 200 000 km and I guess its a good idea to change this dampener. As a Honda enthusiast I've noticed that the M54 is quite rough when run closer to the redline and the redline is quite low. Maybe my dampener is not in good condition anymore after almost 200 000 km??

One of the reasons why I wanted to drop the engine is to check all things out, open the oil pan and check the oil pump nut. But I think that the nut going off is only the result of bad vibration that makes it come loose and the real reason (damper) needs to be fixed first. Then tighten the nut with some loctite and rev happily ever after.

If there is not any better solutions I'll just get a new OEM, but that will not fix the problem I guess.. *sigh* how hard can it be to get a good & working crankshaft wheel??
jolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #26
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
I too am extremely interested in a upgraded damper. After selling a vehicle and still having a reliable DD I am gearing up to make the BMW more track ready as it sees less main road time and more garage queen status. Would like to get all the little things in order for track season so I can spend my weekends on the track with the boss instead of brown nosing it on the golf course(I suck at golf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
spig

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP 6spd
I am interested.
Dr. Vanos, BMW Performance SSK, Meyle HD RSM FCA & FCAB, E9x M3 motor mounts, Black kidney grills, Eagle eye LED tails, K&N drop in filter, E92 ZKW reflector bowl retrofit, Umnitza Orion V2 Opaque 6000k Angel Eyes.
spig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #28
MOTRSPRT

My Ride: 2003 M3
Followed this thread over here from M3F. I'm interested in this group buy, but was hoping these balancers were already shipping as I need one NOW. Have money waiting to be spent for this.

Researched pricing for ATI's damper and refuse to spend $859ish for one of these. Hence, my snooping brought me over here for this group buy. Too bad it looks stagnant...

2003 M3 SMG
1998 M3 Dinan SC
2006 Dodge CTD Megacab
1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1993/95 Honda CBR900RR
2011 Ducati 1198 SB
MOTRSPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #29
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I think getting a lighter damper is a big mistake. It will just make the harmonic issue worse. Especially if you pair it with a lightweight flywheel.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #30
mrbrightside

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Hey everyone, new ZHP owner here. I really appreciate some of the information being shared here and I wanted to thank everyone for contributing.

I realize the Group Buy ended a long time ago and it sounds like ATI may no longer be making the harmonic damper any longer. Why then is the Super ATI Damper still listed on VAC's website:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/harm...2-us-p756.aspx

Also, ~$1000 for essentially a tuned piece of rubber and pieces of aluminum seem extreme. I understand economies of scale, but at the same time, I can't seem to find any data to back up the claim that the ATI unit really does improve the durability of these motors at high RPMS. Can anyone lend some evidence now that some time has passed to accumulate more miles?_nr_
mrbrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
da Vinci

Actually nothing has happened yet. I have been so busy with other projects, this one has sat dormant. I asked for permission, in case it is needed, to run this like a group buy and received no reply, either time. So I guess the next step is to send BHJ $200 and a sample to do the design work.

Are all of you still interested? If I there is enough interest I will pony up the $200 in hopes to recoup it by the time everyone has their new harmonic damper.

Last edited by da Vinci; 04-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #32
da Vinci

I updated the link on my first post to their white paper which explains how and why... Click here

Other stuff from the BHJ Dynamics web site:

BHJ Dynamics offers specialty harmonic damper solutions for the performance automotive and marine aftermarket.

State of the art development technology and unexcelled craftsmanship make BHJ the ultimate choice for high performance, American made crankshaft harmonic dampers.

Engineering Services:
Custom Component Development Programs for specialized racing applications, vintage restoration and crate engine programs are also available in nearly unlimited configurations, whether S.F.I. certification is necessary or otherwise. Programs are available for a wide variety of budgets and production quantities. BHJ's state of the art damper design technology assures precise tuning for outstanding performance and long engine life in any operating environment. Contact us for more information on custom component development.

BHJ provides the ultimate performance harmonic damper solution for automotive, marine, aerospace and other specialty applications — all designed and crafted in the United States, from the finest materials available. Click here for an introduction to BHJ's crankshaft harmonic damper lineup, or click here to find out more about custom development services.

Last edited by da Vinci; 05-28-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #33
ArmyBimmer

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Im interested in this. Curious as to why ATI is so much more if this is a comparable product...
ArmyBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote