E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Brucie Boy

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
SMG issue

So 110 was dollars!!!
That's even cheaper. I thought you were talking pounds sterling.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Brucie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie Boy View Post
So 110 was dollars!!!
That's even cheaper. I thought you were talking pounds sterling.

loll yeah 110 us dollars. its because they didnt have to drop the tranny, although they did warn me, if the spring broke and a part drops into the trans, then that would force them to drop it and fish it out, which would bump up the price.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Brucie Boy

SMG issue

Question. Does it matter if my smg fluid level In the engine compartment is over the MAX level. If so what probs could this cause?
Since I have owned the car in the last six years the fluid level has never been topped up so must have been above the level when I purchased her

Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
Re: SMG issue

Shoudnt cause an issue. Only when its low it will drop out of gear
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Brucie Boy

SMG issue

Thanks. What I thought but thought best to ask.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
Brucie Boy

Ok....So i finally got my car to the indy yesterday. Munich motors in wokingham.....They had the car on the diagnostic machine for about 1 hour.(GT1) machine. they gave me a print out. 2 x codes that it threw up are as follows..
(115) 73 Load deactivation
(036) 24 position sensor, selection angle

He mentioned that the pump was priming as it should be and also checked that it was holding the presure which it was. He said that he did not think that it was a issue with the pump (relieved to hear that).

He said in his opinion that it is most likley the Gear positioning sensor or could be a broken spring.
The plan is to order the GPS from BMW 295, Drop the Exhuste and drive shaft and then check to see if there are any broken springs if so then replace. If it is just GPS replacment then he thinks 3 hours labour to do the job and reteach the SMG. 60 hr labour. He also mentioned something about it showing up that 2nd gear was showing as being thrashed (long gear) I said that was probably from where it would not change from 2nd to 3rd when I start the car and just revs past 2000rpm without excelaring.
All in all was pleased to have finally got the car on the machine and get a general idea what the issue may be.
Funny thing was I have had the same problem on start up every time I have driven the car for the past week with the cog light coming on and sods law yesterday when i drove the car to the indy NO SMG light no dropping gear no issues what so ever.
Its almost like the car knows that its going to the mechanics and plays nicely just for that day. Drove the cat to work today and all the usual problems were back......Grrrrrr
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #27
sakumaxp

Quote:
Ok....So i finally got my car to the indy yesterday. Munich motors in wokingham.....They had the car on the diagnostic machine for about 1 hour.(GT1) machine. they gave me a print out. 2 x codes that it threw up are as follows..
(115) 73 Load deactivation
(036) 24 position sensor, selection angle

He mentioned that the pump was priming as it should be and also checked that it was holding the presure which it was. He said that he did not think that it was a issue with the pump (relieved to hear that).

He said in his opinion that it is most likley the Gear positioning sensor or could be a broken spring.
The plan is to order the GPS from BMW 295, Drop the Exhuste and drive shaft and then check to see if there are any broken springs if so then replace. If it is just GPS replacment then he thinks 3 hours labour to do the job and reteach the SMG. 60 hr labour. He also mentioned something about it showing up that 2nd gear was showing as being thrashed (long gear) I said that was probably from where it would not change from 2nd to 3rd when I start the car and just revs past 2000rpm without excelaring.
All in all was pleased to have finally got the car on the machine and get a general idea what the issue may be.
Funny thing was I have had the same problem on start up every time I have driven the car for the past week with the cog light coming on and sods law yesterday when i drove the car to the indy NO SMG light no dropping gear no issues what so ever.
Its almost like the car knows that its going to the mechanics and plays nicely just for that day. Drove the cat to work today and all the usual problems were back......Grrrrrr
glad to hear you got it diagnosed, im still betting on the spring, they are more prone to "breaking" rather than the GPS going out. thank god it wasnt your pump or you wallet would have a pretty dent in it lol. just go buy your own OBDII scanner i paid like 40ish bucks for mine at autozone.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Brucie Boy

Thanks Sakuma,

I think you are probably correct regarding the spring.Goes in to Munich Motors on the 4Th so lets see whats what then. Fingers crossed it is just the spring. I will update when I get the car back.....Thanks for all your imput so far
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #29
sakumaxp

Quote:
Thanks Sakuma,

I think you are probably correct regarding the spring.Goes in to Munich Motors on the 4Th so lets see whats what then. Fingers crossed it is just the spring. I will update when I get the car back.....Thanks for all your imput so far
keep us updated for sure, i got my fingers crossed for you!

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Brucie Boy

SMG issue

Should be picking up my baby today from Munich motors. All sorted.
Just waiting for them to get a few bolts for the exhaust. Old ones were no good when they removed it to do the work.
Little nervous if I'm honest. They removed the springs to have a look but apparently they were fine. They changed the GPS and took it out for test drive. Clive the mechanic says it is now shifting through the gears perfectly. He plug it back in to the machine after and said no fault codes showing and no smg light. Will update. Again when I get the car back

Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #31
sakumaxp

you should have told them to just replace them, since they already took the time and had access to them.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #32
Brucie Boy

SMG issue

Car is back and shifting well. He took the springs out and they were fine. He took pics to show me. He did change the springs anyway as he had them out anyway and they were cheap parts.
Total cost of springs gps and labour ***163;680 inc vat.
Glad she is fixed and have her back.
Good guys at Munich motors. Too many mechanics too quick to diagnose pump failure. Wish I found them earlier.