E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
compcrasher86

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP Manual
Comp's '01 330i 5sp TiAg

Hey guys, I did this for my last car so here's a thread I'm going to use to update and keep track of my new to me E46. Quick background: this is my first BMW, before this Ive had 3 Jeeps (still own one of them) and a 5 speed Ranger. I like to do my own work whenever I can and take a lot of pictures so hopefully somebody can benefit.

So its an 01 330i, Titanium Silver, black interior, 5sp, sport package + MTech 1. Its a very sharp car and clean for its age, paint is in very good condition. I haven't detailed it yet so it will only look better but I'm trying to focus on PM stuff now. The maintenance records on this car are pretty inclusive but I'm doing several things again with fresh or upgraded parts so you'll see that over the coming months.

Requiring priority attention I have:
Shifter bushings
Every fluid except coolant
Belt and/or tensioner
Rear diff cover gasket

Things I want to get done but not crucial:
Front bumper trim pieces need to get painted and go back on
New FCABs, Meyle HD rubber
New water pump w/ metal impeller
Lower rad hose
A couple evap lines
ZHP shift knob
Wrap interior trim: 3m brushed black
All-weather mats
New set of UHP summers for the 68's
Set of stock wheels so I can get my winter Hakka R's off the steelies

Things already done:
Rear wheel bearings (done by TLSS in Rochester)
Front sway links
Gas cap (p0455)
Front window regulators]
Business CD swap from an 05 E46 and an aux jack in the ash tray.

And here are some pictures
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381895397.642038.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	531022

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381895461.241498.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	531023

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381895507.374697.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	531024

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381895566.310520.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	531025

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381895602.374881.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	531026

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by compcrasher86; 10-16-2013 at 03:01 PM.
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
compcrasher86

Comp's '01 330i 5sp TiAg

Pictures from the aux install. I'm not too proud of how I hooked up the caps, the wiring was way too thin and kept breaking. If I had to do this again I'd probably mount the resistor and caps to a circuit board. Elsewise though it works awesome and its a clean install, very happy to not burn CDs anymore and glad I could keep the stock HU look.
Used a USB header connector and pulled the pins out to rearrange them. If you drill out the one covered socket with a small drill bit its literally the perfect size for the connector on the back of the stock HU. I found this in a box of computer parts I have,

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940846.187736.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	531057
Pins rearranged to match the pinout for the audio. White and Green are audio+ and black is gnd.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940916.433114.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	531058
Put the aux socket right in the ashtray, pull this piece up and it pops out of the ashtray, you will probably have to drill it off center to get everything to line up and go together properly. It is a TIGHT fit measure twice drill once.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940940.200857.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	531059
All set in the ash tray, perfect fit.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940953.434930.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	531060
Not proud of the electrical tape but I didn't have heatshrink small enough for the wire I was using

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940975.168044.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	531061
Pull the blue tab on the headunit harness and maneuver the CD changer connector out of the way if you have it. Fish this connector through and then you can reassemble the headunit harness. You'll understand once you see it but the harness has a weird angle to it so this is necessary. Plug in the connector (blue in my pics) to the other accessory socket on the HU then hook everything back up normally.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381940998.651156.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	531062
Heres how it looks all fitted in for the most part

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381941015.867784.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	531063
And enjoy the new aux jack!

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381941033.585187.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	531064

Last edited by compcrasher86; 10-16-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added captions.=
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
did the bumper come like that? ): fix it mang. looking good.

RIP Edgar F. Glavez 4/19/89-10/19/2014

blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedxjan View Post
did the bumper come like that? ): fix it mang. looking good.
Good eye! Yeah when I got it, was missing the passenger fog light bezel and brake duct cover. Knowing I could get them on the cheap I talked the PO down on it. Ordered new ones from ECS, just haven't gotten around to getting them painted yet. And, yeah, I took off the ones on the driver's side so they're missing on both sides, its kind of an OCD thing

Thanks though, I'm trying to keep it looking good and catch up on maintenance at the same time. Detailing is one of my hobbies and I haven't really done a full sweep on it yet, but that'll probably happen over thanksgiving break. I think I'm going to try some of the Collinite stuff Mango uses, looks to work well on TiAg.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
compcrasher86

Comp's '01 330i 5sp TiAg

Tried to pick up some m1 0w-40 and Walmart was completely wiped out. Such a good price too! I'm just going to bite my tongue a bit and pay extra for the German Castrol at Pepboys. I know I've seen many an oil thread, just going to stick with LL-01 for my own peace of mind. There's dealership oil in there now but I'm pretty sure it's been running oil indicator OCIs. Planning on running ~8k OCIs and doing a blackstone analysis.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
compcrasher86

Comp's '01 330i 5sp TiAg

Battery died today. I left the trunk open for a good 4 hours which seemed to piss it off. My old car would cut the lights after 20 minutes I guess the e46 doesn't . So I threw it in neutral, gave it a good push and dropped the clutch in 1st. Never got to try that before and it was actually pretty awesome. Looks like its time to do some battery shopping.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
compcrasher86

Oil change over the past two days. Had a nice little hiccup when the old bolt broke off in the pan when I was tightening it. Torque wrench was too big and off a bit at the lower end of its range. Extracted the old one, and got 2 new plugs and crush washers at the dealership, now I have spares. Filled with 7 quarts of German Castrol 0w-30.
Up in the air

Old Filter

New Mann filter:

Old:

New:

GC:

OCI says 15k+, I think I'll do half of that. Reset note: Hold ODO reset, turn key to Acc, keep holding until oil reset stuff appears, let go and then get right back on the button and hold, once reset starts flashing let go and then press once quickly after. Should be reset.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
compcrasher86

I'm starting to get a good feel for the car now that I've had it about a month and put ~1k miles on it. My standards for how the car should feel/drive have no tolerance so maintenance will be big over the next couple months.
-Belt drive needs service. Something is making a faint noise for a couple seconds on startup so I need to pull both belts and figure out what. More than likely an idler pulley. Top priority
-Cleaning and regreasing the nylon ball and socket bushing seems to have helped the shifts tenfold. The linkage is still loose though so new trans fluid, bushing kit, and ZHP shift knob soon to restore awesome shifts
-Drained and refilled PS reservoir with ATF today, steering feels much better and is smooth
-Techron in the gas tank just for good measure
-Working on getting passenger mirror cover to finish replacing the missing trim pieces. Looking better already though:

Last edited by compcrasher86; 10-23-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
compcrasher86

Passenger mirror cover came in. I don't have enough TiAg paint to do it so I just gave both sides a coat of plastidip until I can order more. I had to get it on because the whistling wind noise was killing me. But at the same time, I'm kind of liking how it turned out and might consider redoing them in a more permanent black trim paint if I like the way it looks. We shall see.

Also pulled my belts off and found the offending idler pulley on the AC tensioner, its making some noises for a couple seconds on startup so I ordered new pulleys, should be here on Wednesday. Belts are in great shape, they're pretty new BMW belts. Found I have a hydraulic tensioner for the serp belt, cool.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
compcrasher86

AC tensioner pulley replacement for manual trans E46s with efan only:

Used needle nose pliers pulling up on the center pins for the air intake until they pop up. Then the clip is released. Try and be gentle so you don't chew the plastic up. Ones already off in this pic.

Pull off air intake and duct.

Disconnect wiring for e-fan and recirc sensor. Unclip wiring harness from fan shroud

Fan has a T25 screw on passenger side top and pop clip on the drivers side. Then it will lift straight out and your belts will be exposed. I apologize for how dirty the front of my engine is, looks like it never got cleaned up after the VCG and Vanos stuff was done. Its much cleaner now.

Pop dust cap off, I just wedged a small flathead in there and gave it a small twist, came right off. Try and catch it so it doesn't fall down and slide under the engine

Pulley will come off with a T50 bit on a ratchet. First turn clockwise to relieve tension and remove the belt. Let the tensioner go to resting position. Then reverse your ratchet and unscrew bolt all the way and pull the pulley off.

I went with a Dayco one which was readily available and a rebranded INA part. Old vs new.

Fit new pulley up and tighten it down. I tightened mine to 24 lb-ft (I read somewhere thats a number mango used) and it felt plenty tight. Remember, the brackets are aluminum, don't want to strip or break anything. The hard part about this is the tensioner trying to move making it awkward to ratchet. Just keep going and it will hit the end of its travel and you can keep tightening it.

While this was a pretty low level DIY it felt good to do some wrenching on my new car and I enjoyed getting to check out my belts and planning a water pump job soon. Its been done before ~100 but I'm sure by 150k it wouldn't complain about yet another. And well, for under $100 I wouldn't be upset if it needed a new one every couple of years even.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
D3haro88

My Ride: 330i
Nice work, I have a pretty similar car and I just got it about a yr ago so this caught my eye.
D3haro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
compcrasher86

In 2 weeks I have a 400mi trip back to the east coast so there are a couple things I'm doing as PM, theres nothing wrong right now but I'd hate more than to have a catastrophic breakdown on my first real road trip in this car.

From Pelican Parts I ordered the other two idler pulleys for the main belt, a GRAF water pump, and a gallon of BMW coolant
From FCPEuro I ordered the Uro aluminum water pump pulley.

The water pump was replaced around 100k when the cooling refresh was done. But, this is 50k later, I don't know what pump is in there and how its holding up, and the pulley is plastic and likely original. Not worth risking my engine overheating over a silly $50 part. And what good is this new pump going to do me if an idler pulley seizes or the plastic water pump pulley shatters so those are getting done too because those are most likely original. Belts are new, did an inspection on that and will be fine for a while. The thing about the water pump that gets me paranoid is that it could fail at any moment, not puke coolant everywhere and throw up a cloud of steam, and just let my engine overheat. If I'm not paying enough attention to my temp gauge for the entire 7 hrs, and it hits the red without me noticing, that could be game over.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
compcrasher86

Comp's '01 330i 5sp TiAg

Last month I left my trunk open for a couple hours and the battery died, bump started it and its been fine since, didn't think much of it. Today cleaned the interior for a couple hours and went to go for a drive and the battery was
VERY dead. Bump started again but it couldn't keep itself running and it misfired, flickered the dash lighting and stalled. That's what I get for not replacing it last month

Got a Duralast Gold 94R-DL, they actually make a really solid battery with a good warranty and I had it within an hour. Starts much faster and stronger and idle seems to be more smooth.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
compcrasher86

New pulley. This one won't (shouldn't) crack:
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
compcrasher86

Diagnosing cruddy heat. I have a separate thread going:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1013597

but so far I've established that I'm hitting operating temp on the dot, hoses to firewall are hot to touch, I'm on 3 red dots, and changing hvac to full heat doesn't change much. Will update as I figure this out.

Also, all of my parts are coming in Friday, its going to be in the upper 50's this weekend so perfect for some winter work.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
compcrasher86

Got my euro clears and new idler pulleys installed. Old pulleys were... worse than I thought.
Pics of clears:

cleaned the paint:

And I started on my water pump and coolant flush but the rain rolled in so I had to button everything back up before I drained the coolant. From what I'm seeing though I have the revised BMW WP with the composite impeller. And the coolant still in there is BMW blue so that will make the coolant job easier. Since it started raining I went to go do the core return on my battery, and took another picture of it. I might be a bit addicted.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
compcrasher86

Updates!
Snow tires are on (Nokian Hakkapellita R on stock BMW silver steelies)
Fixed A-pillar creaking noise using weatherstripping foam underneath
Headlights realligned to spec
New Wipers (Bosch Icon)
Coolant flushed!

Put 800 highway miles on it in the last week Averaged 32-33mpgs and it held coolant temp perfectly the whole trip. Now that a lot of the maintenance stuff is flattened out I am starting to trust things a lot more. Boy are these steel rims are ugly though.

Last edited by compcrasher86; 12-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.