E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Vic Harder

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
foreign object stuck in mechanism

I think I have a problem not seen here before. The top is in excellent working condition. I was installing a child seat. The tether goes under the headrest and latches behind it. Unfortunately, unlike the previous times I did this, the plastic and metal part of the tether got in between the soft top storage compartment lid as I was closing the to and the top was unable to close all the way.

It will keep trying if you push the (now flashing red) close button, but because of the obstruction, it won't finish the cycle. The storage compartment lid is about 1 cm from being all the way closed.

The top will not open using the button. The emergency release button does nothing because the front latches are not latched yet. The small hand crank can't move the top storage lid because it appears to have so much torque on the gears that it is jammed.

Dealer can't is so busy they can't see the car for two weeks.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787 - Copy.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	531043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5789 - Copy.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	531044  
Vic Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
I'm confused what you're trying to do. If you want to open the storage lid to remove the obstruction then push the release button under the rear seat and turn the motor. If it is tough to turn in one direction, turn the other way.

I'm willing to bet the front latches have engaged a bit and are forcing the top down onto the storage lid. Can you bend the top nearest the windshield? If no, then get out the allen key and turn the front until this latch disengages:

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Vic Harder

thanks for the quick reply. No, the header is not latched. I tried to get to latch by assisting it with some hand pressure, no go. I can lift the header end as well as the back end up a good distance (I can get the back end with the rear window to go about vertical) by hand. The deck lid is pressing very firmly on the baby seat tether and won't budge. I've tried moving the deck lid using the crank... with a lot of pressure, both ways. I have an allen key socket that size, so I could attach it to a breaker bar, but that seems like it might bust something else.

Somehow I need to tell the top mechanism that it is fully closed so that it will try to open it again.

Last edited by Vic Harder; 10-16-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Harder View Post
not sure how much force to put on that?
As much as needed. Remove your rear seat bottom, open this cover and check the position of the cables. If they are NOT like this the motor has latched the lid and you need to disengage it to get the cables into this position.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
The crank under the rear seat turns one way (I think clockwise) to move it both up and down. If you keep turning, eventually the latches will release.

Once it's open, replace the popout gear and the auto function should resume.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Vic Harder

They were not in that position. Once I had the seat out and the cover off to look at the cables I could see that the button incorporates a ball bearing in the release mechanism. I pushed on the button REALLY HARD, and it let go. The tether mechanism has been removed so now the obstruction is gone. Yeah!

Is there a special procedure to get the top working again now that the mechanism has been released?

Or do I just push the button and it magically closes?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Harder View Post
Is there a special procedure to get the top working again now that the mechanism has been released?

Or do I just push the button and it magically closes?
No special procedure, the top should recognize what position it is in and start from there. I would manually move the top to the closed position, then push the close button until it latches to the windshield.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Vic Harder

yep... just cranked the mechanism to ensure the button had popped up again, positioned the top to mostly closed, and pressed the close button until in latched. Then cycled it all the way open to be sure it was happy.

Yeah!

Thanks, this forum rocks!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
taylor192

Glad you got it solved.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
kerriwarwick

My Ride: 04 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to kerriwarwick
Hi chaps , my top got stuck halfway up ! and after reading your answers to a million other top stuck Queries , it turned out to be the green and white wire in the header rail a nice solder job and I am topless once again ..thank you thank you !!! kerri
kerriwarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
careful with the topless comments