E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
POLL: Have You Signed Up for PPACA

1. How many have signed up for the PPACA (ObamaCare) Insurance?
2. Has your health insurance premium gone up? (how much)
3. Has your healthcare insurance deductable gone up? (ho much)
4. Have you been able to keep your current healthcare insurance and doctor?
5. Have your hours been reduced due to PPACA?
6. Did your employer stop providing healthcare insurance for employees?
7. Has anyones health insurance gone down $2500?

Interested in others experiences so far, if any, with the PPACA.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. No

Obamacare is transparent to me.

Last edited by Zell; 10-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Re: POLL: Have You Signed Up for PPACA

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. No

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
1. How many have signed up for the PPACA (ObamaCare) Insurance? I haven't, nor do I need to since I have employer provided health care.
2. Has your health insurance premium gone up? (how much) Mine went up about as much as it would have regardless of ACA (the increase was right in line with the typical annual increase).
3. Has your healthcare insurance deductable gone up? (ho much) No.
4. Have you been able to keep your current healthcare insurance and doctor? Yes, why wouldn't I?
5. Have your hours been reduced due to PPACA? No. From my reading this is not happening on a widespread basis. Sure, it's happening in some places, but they are not the majority in any sense of the word
6. Did your employer stop providing healthcare insurance for employees? Negative, ghost rider.
7. Has anyones health insurance gone down $2500? I don't think that was a promise for everyone.

Interested in others experiences so far, if any, with the PPACA.
Answers in red.

What are your responses to the questions?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
This crudely fabricated and statistically invalid survey is sure gonna convince me of whatever agenda you're pushing.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
From my company's webpage:

Quote:

As part of the Affordable Care Act, the new Health Insurance Public Marketplace opened on October 1, 2013 with coverage starting on January 1, 2014. Everyone in the U.S. (with a few exceptions) will be required to have health insurance or pay a penalty. More information can be found at: Health Insurance Public Marketplace

Please remember that if you are eligible for a (employer) health plan, you are not eligible for federal financial assistance (tax credits) to help you buy an insurance policy for yourself in a Health Insurance Marketplace as (employer's) plans meet the health reform law's "minimum value" and "affordability" standards.

We realize that selecting the right health insurance is a complex decision, and we will continue to update you with more information about the marketplace as it becomes available. If you have questions about the health reform law, please visit www.healthcare.gov.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
This crudely fabricated and statistically invalid survey is sure gonna convince me of whatever agenda you're pushing.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I kept my insurance (BC/BS of NY) and my premiums went up as did my co-pays. Affordable care act my butt!!

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I just got back to the office from a presentation on the ACA. My understanding is that everyone's rates are going to be the same (within a given plan/level of coverage), and that health will no longer be a consideration when signing up for insurance. Instead, premium subisides will be available for lower-income folks, so people who make less will pay less for healthcare coverage. In CA, subsidies phase out after about $90k of income for a family of four.

So, basically, if you make more you will subsidize the health care insurance of those who make less. It's very much like how healthy people have historically subsidized the health care of those who were less healthy--but one metric has been substituted for another. And, of course, participation is mandatory.

Last edited by VaderDave; 10-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdave View Post
i just got back to the office from a presentation on the aca. My understanding is that everyone's rates are going to be the same (within a given plan/level of coverage), and that health will no longer be a consideration when signing up for insurance. Instead, premium subisides will be available for lower-income folks, so people who make less will pay less for healthcare coverage. in ca, subsidies phase out after about $90k of income for a family of four.

so, basically, if you make more you will subsidize the health care insurance of those who make less. It's very much like how healthy people have historically subsidized the health care of those who were less healthy--but one metric has been substituted for another. And, of course, participation is mandatory.
$62,000 for family of 2.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
badfast

My Ride: A Car
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. No
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
$62,000 for family of 2.
The obvious answer for you is to start pumping out the kids as fast as you possibly can.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I just got back to the office from a presentation on the ACA. My understanding is that everyone's rates are going to be the same (within a given plan/level of coverage), and that health will no longer be a consideration when signing up for insurance. Instead, premium subisides will be available for lower-income folks, so people who make less will pay less for healthcare coverage. In CA, subsidies phase out after about $90k of income for a family of four.

So, basically, if you make more you will subsidize the health care insurance of those who make less. It's very much like how healthy people have historically subsidized the health care of those who were less healthy--but one metric has been substituted for another. And, of course, participation is mandatory.
So from what you were told:
- everyone's rates are going to be the same;
- health is no longer a factor (I assume this refers to pre-existing conditions?);
- subsidies will be available for lower earners.

So how are those new subsidies for lower earners paid for, if nobody's rates are going up? I don't understand how that can possibly be true.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 10-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
So from what you were told:
- everyone's rates are going to be the same;
- health is no longer a factor (I assume this refers to pre-existing conditions?);
- subsidies will be available for lower earners.

So how are those new subsidies for lower earners paid for, if nobody's rates are going up? I don't understand how that can possibly be true.
People making over $200,000 are being taxed, companies are being taxed, and I think indoor tanning salons are being taxed like 10%, which is a smart move because who the **** is going to complain about that
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
The obvious answer for you is to start pumping out the kids as fast as you possibly can.
twins I need twins
Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
People making over $200,000 are being taxed, companies are being taxed, and I think indoor tanning salons are being taxed like 10%, which is a smart move because who the **** is going to complain about that
John Boehner is probably super pissed. Him and his Super PAC of teenage blond girls are totally going to start a Facebook petition, or something.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Yet another aspect of life where I have to pay for someone else's shortcomings.

p.s - I thought the promise was that this law would lower everyone's rates?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 10-16-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
VaderDave
Invictus

My understanding is that the goal is to lower everyone's rates over time by having a larger pool of insureds. In addition, the new law provides for some level of regulation of health care procedure rates--providers will have to provide some level of justification/support for the rates they charge. This will, supposedly, help to combat excessive charges and lower costs across the board.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

fix what doctors and hospitals charge first.

one band aid costs $10. how do you justify that?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

p.s - I thought the promise was that this law would lower everyone's rates?
I wasn't aware that this was a "promise" to everyone, but I do remember seeing that if someones rates went up less than they normally would have, then that = lowering someones rate. Mathematically it's true, I suppose.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig