E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #41
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
We should have totally defaulted on the debt.
dissolving the country would probably work better. No America? No American debt. Let all the states spin off into sovereign nations.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #42
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
We should have totally defaulted on the debt.
Fortunately, the mature, rational adults finally stepped in to stop this nihilist plunge into the financial abyss.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #43
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Fortunately, the mature, rational adults finally stepped in to stop this nihilist plunge into the financial abyss.

That's a joke right? This situation should have never happened. There was a cause and effect. I still hold every politician accountable. The view must be great on that horse of yours.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 10-17-2013 at 02:32 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #44
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
The Republicans failed on every level here.

It is like a kid that is told that he cannot go to a party. He wants to go, so he sneaks out of the house. He arrives to the party, doesn't even go in, and has a change of heart and goes home only to be caught by his parents and punished for sneaking out. Maroons, lose-lose

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #45
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Yes, of course this situation never should have happened, but neither do I buy into the false equivalency meme the Republicans so often try to slide on. One side and one side only was responsible for perpetrating this failed extortion scheme by holding the functioning of our government and then our whole economy hostage to their particular policy demands.

The GOP/TP didn't get their way regarding ACA or how the budget looked through the normal democratic processes - because they lost in the 2012 election in the House (lost seats and actually received about 1mil fewer total votes), Senate and White House -- so they subverted to tools of those processes to create nothing more than a hostage/extortion situation. These weren't requests for "negotiations" or "compromise" in any real, normal sense of the terms but rather, a desperate gambit to force compliance and capitulation by holding a gun to the head of our government and economy, threatening disruption and far worse unless their demands were met. This was far outside the normal rough and tumble give-and-take of our democratic process.

Fortunately, this odious overreach by the TP, aided and abetted by the GOP in general (if out of fear of the TP), failed miserably and the TP and GOP will take a well-deserved big hit on their already cratered public approval ratings, a wound that may well haunt them in the 2014 elections and beyond.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The Republicans failed on every level here.

It is like a kid that is told that he cannot go to a party. He wants to go, so he sneaks out of the house. He arrives to the party, doesn't even go in, and has a change of heart and goes home only to be caught by his parents and punished for sneaking out. Maroons, lose-lose
how does that example even compare?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
It is the only way he can relate to it
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #48
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Come on. How do you not get it. The Republicans are the maroons.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
NOVAbimmer

so are the democrats the parents? or the kids already in the party that the kid who snuck out is trying to get in to?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #50
'busa

Who's bringing the alcohol?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #51
Act of God

Quote:
Really?

Ok, the republicans did something they knew would get them in trouble (trouble here = losing votes, seats, etc.). The rub is that they were sacrificing getting in trouble to get something that they wanted (aka go to the party). At the end of the day they got in trouble for nothing, accomplished nothing and are worse off.

In other words, they got in trouble and got nothing that they wanted. This is pretty basic.

aka

shutting down government - sneaking out of the house
getting punished - losing seats
party - delay obamacare/more cuts to spending/etc

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #52
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Party at Brian Holloway's house?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #53
'busa

Quote:
Really?

Ok, the republicans did something they knew would get them in trouble (trouble here = losing votes, seats, etc.). The rub is that they were sacrificing getting in trouble to get something that they wanted (aka go to the party). At the end of the day they got in trouble for nothing, accomplished nothing and are worse off.

In other words, they got in trouble and got nothing that they wanted. This is pretty basic.

aka

shutting down government - sneaking out of the house
getting punished - losing seats
party - delay obamacare/more cuts to spending/etc
You're as bad at analogies like a guy who goes to get to the store to buy dog food but then gets yelled at by his wife because he forgot to throw out the garbage.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
You're as bad at analogies like a guy who goes to get to the store to buy dog food but then gets yelled at by his wife because he forgot to throw out the garbage.
yeah no, you're just not smart.

there's no reason to go through this entire thing just to give up at the end for nothing. Complete stupidity.

Last edited by Act of God; 10-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #55
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Media sold the Republican approach as strictly tied to Obamacare.
Maybe that's because the Republicans, specifically the elected Tea Party reps, kept putting forth a resolution that had changes to Obamacare, such as asking for a year's delay, to nix the medical tax, etc.

In sum, Republicans did that to themselves.

And yes, I read one of the CR's put forth by the House and the 6 versions of it - one the member ti317 posted on here.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 10-17-2013 at 05:04 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #56
'busa

Quote:
yeah no, you're just not smart.

there's no reason to go through this entire thing just to give up at the end for nothing. Complete stupidity.
Oh, I get it. It's kind of like if the Republicans are a kid who isn't getting what he wants. He walks over to the wall and starts banging his head into the wall.

You're saying it's idiotic to stop banging your head before you do too much damage. Better continue to bash your head into the wall until you pass out or you get your way. Whichever comes first.

Makes sense. You're smart.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #57
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Oh, I get it. It's kind of like if the Republicans are a kid who isn't getting what he wants. He walks over to the wall and starts banging his head into the wall.

You're saying it's idiotic to stop banging your head before you do too much damage. Better continue to bash your head into the wall until you pass out or you get your way. Whichever comes first.

Makes sense. You're smart.
perhaps if I put it in whatever language they spoke in the sh!tfvckdick eastern european country you came from you'd get it

Last edited by Act of God; 10-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Maybe that's because the Republicans, specifically the elected Tea Party reps, kept putting forth a resolution that had changes to Obamacare, such as asking for a year's delay, to nix the medical tax, etc.
Why do unions and businesses get a delay and why is that ok?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #59
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Why do unions and businesses get a delay and why is that ok?
sorry, not sure what you're getting at?
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #60
'busa

Quote:
perhaps if I put it in whatever language they spoke in the sh!tfvckdick eastern european country you came from you'd get it
That's a smart joke coming from a smart person. Don't be mad because my analogy is better. Get a helmet, though.