E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Ultimate E46 Restoration Thread

BMW E46 M3 restoration

Over the past year and a half my 2003 E46 M3 has suffered the worst kind of neglect, sitting unused. Worst still it has been sitting outside and time and New Englad weather has taken it's toll. The toll has been rust, rust in a big nasty, four letter way. The time has come to take action!

This restoration is now months in the making. It all started out with as a simple project with my friends at BimmerWorld to refresh the M3 for the spring. The spring came and went but my car didn't. Sitting firmly on it's winter tires occasionally getting taken around the block or to the store. Little did I realize just how busy my summer would be and just how bad my poor M3 had become.

This thread will chronicle the return to greatness of my M3. With 100K miles on the clock it will never be a new car but by the end every major system will have been replaced, renewed or recovered to give me another 100K miles. The major restoration points include:
  • Derustification of everything
  • Complete front suspension overhaul
  • Complete rear suspension overhaul
  • Complete brake overhaul
  • Complete fluid refresh
  • New wheels and tires
  • 4 wheel alignment
  • S54 valve adjustment

This isn't going to be an open the wallet and promise you first born child build with no expense spared. It is a common sense, replace what you must, restore what you can enthusiast build! Aftermarket parts will be used where the cost makes sense, OEM parts will be replaced when rusted and expensive parts will be salvaged and restored.

Subscribe to get updates as I make progress, get parts in, screw up or find something else that needs replacing. Lets get into the nitty gritty and get going.

How it started
The rear suspension is to blame for this transforming this from a few DIYs into a massive rebuild project. In the spring of 2013 I noticed the lower rear trailing arm ball joints (part 3 below) had gone bad. While replacing the lower joint it also makes sense to replace the upper joint as well (part 2 below).

BMW E46 M3 rear trailing arm ball joints

BimmerWorld supplied me with the new ball joints and Mango, the resident maintenance guru, lent me his awesome $500 rear ball joint tool. With parts and tools in hand you're looking at a 2 hour tops job. I dive into the project and am assaulted by the first onslaught of rust. The entire rear rotor, caliper and caliper bracket are a disaster.

BMW E46 M3 rusty rotor

My heart breaks a little seeing this, but I have a job to do so I plow on with the rear ball joint project. Little did I know the entire scope of this project was about to change. I dig deeper in and the rust just keeps on coming. The pictures do not do justice for how much rust has taken hold of the car. By the time I get down to the dust shield I know I can't let this go and something drastic must be done.

BMW E46 M3 dust shield

The dust shields are more rust then metal, they must be replaced. When I made the decision to replace them I didn't realize that meant removing the rear hubs and replacing the wheel bearings. But it must be done, my anger at the rust was driving irrational decision making at this point. I get a beer and hatch a plan to replace or restore everything that is rusty. The following is the result of several beers and lots of emails with BimmerWorld about bringing my baby back to glory. The restoration has been broken out into the major mechanical systems.

Brakes
Rusty and neglected the entire brake system is being ripped out and replaced. A big brake kit was considered but this is a street car and while a set of Performance Friction, Brembo or StopTechs would look great the costs could not be justified. The stock M3 brakes are great for the street, they just needed to not look like they came from the bottom of the ocean.

BMW E46 M3 brake replacement

A set of used OEM M3 rotors from an E46Fanatics member was a cost effective way to get new rotors. The calipers are AutoZone Duralast rebuilds that will be painted black with G2 epoxy caliper paints, stainless steel brake lines from BimmerWorld replace the factory rubber lines and a new set of Performance Friction brake pads, also from BimmerWorld round out brake system.

The mounting brackets have been removed, sand blasted and painted with G2 Brake Caliper Paint. So far I've been extremely impressive with the G2 paint, stay tuned to see how it holds up over the winter. In the rear the rusty dust shields will be replaced with new OEM parts. Thankfully up front the rust is limited to the rotors, calipers and brackets so no additional parts are needed.

E46 M3 brakes painted

Front suspension
The E46 chassis is notorious for it's need of front end suspension maintenance. The control arm bushings are a constant replacement item and the ball joints on the control arms go out in 50K miles or less. New control arms from BimmerWorld and a set of new style (more on that later) Powerflex bushings take care of the main front end maintenance with an added bonus that Powerflex bushings are lifetime bushings and won't need replacing. The steering arm ball joints are also likely on the way out at 100K miles so those will be replaced as well.

The stock front struts are well past their prime so the springs and struts will be replaced with a set of Bilstein PSS10s. This is one of the few places I sprung for high end aftermarket parts. The E46 M3 is old and out dated in many regards but still a blast to drive because it is visceral. I wasn't going to skimp on parts that make the driving experience, and I've always wanted a set of coilovers.

Rear suspension
Starting with new upper and lower trailing arm ball joints this project has spiraled out of control. In the process of trying to remove the rusty ball joints I burnt and bent the factory lower arm and it now needs replacement. Replacing the arm requires removing the rear diff, making for another parts order and more wrenching. What I am going to replace the arms with is still to be determined. Look at how rusty the lower ball joint was. That is two pieces that have fused into one rusty mess.

BMW M3 rear trailing arm ball joints

With the diff coming out it will have the leaking output seals replaced and will be cleaned up. As I will have access to the upper control arm as well the inside bushing will also be replaced. At the front of the trailing arms the trailing arm bushings (RTAB) will be replaced with Powerflex poly bushings. All said and done every suspension bushing on the rear suspension will have been replaced. The handling improvement will be substantial.

As in the front the rear factory shock have seen 100K miles and are done. Billstein PSS10 springs and shocks will replace them. My nemesis rust was busy with the rear suspension as well, look at the condition of the rear spring.

BMW E46 M3 rear spring broken

As mentioned above the brake shields in the rear were completely rusted and will be replaced. That project requires the removal of the rear hubs so the rear wheel bearings are being replaced with OEM *** units from ECS Tuning.

Fluids
One of the easiest and most effective forms of maintenance is to keep your fluids in good shape. With this much work being done on the brakes a full brake fluid flush is a must. Brake fluid from BimmerWorld will complete the brake overhaul.

Under the hood I'm leaving the engine stock but all the fluids are being replaced. Red Line from BimmerWorld is my fluid of choice and it is going everywhere. 15W50 Red Line will keep the engine happy with a new OEM filter. Red Line power steering fluid to go with the suspension overall. In the middle the transmission is getting Red Line MT-90 as I have a UUC lightweight flywheel and clutch. Out back the diff gets Red Line 75w140.

Wheels and Tires
The factory 19"s are a great set of wheels but I wanted something to make this stand out as a modified M. Wheels are one of the easiest ways enthusiasts identify each other and I felt wheels were a must. I've been a huge fan of VMR wheels ever since getting one of the first sets of CLS style rims from them for my E46 330i almost 10 years ago.

VMR V710s

I ordered up a set of VMR V710s in 19x8.5" for the front and 19x9.5" for the rear finished in gun metal. Another place where I was willing to spend money, this was cosmetic but wheels make such a difference in appearance.

The VMRs are wrapped in Toyo Proxes T1s 245/35/19 in the front and 275/30/19 in the back.

BMW Toyo proxes T1s

Alignment and Service
After the entire suspension has been taken apart and put back together the alignment specs are going to be way off. The car will be professionally aligned at all four corners once there is a suspension to align. While in for the alignment I will also have the S54 valves adjusted.

Project Ongoing
Writing this out has me worried about just how much I have taken on with this project. None of these are on their own monumental DIYs but together this has become many nights and weekends of work. Many of my friends ask why I didn't have a shop do the work but to me as an enthusiasts this is the ultimate connection with my car. I know that when this is all done my M3 will be in the best shape it's been since leaving the factory and I can't wait to get behind the wheel again.

I am getting parts in constantly and will be updating this as I go. Subscribe to get updates as they happen.

Big, huge, this couldn't be done with out them, thanks to BimmerWorld, VMR and getBMWParts.com!

Last edited by tim330i; 10-21-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1382389819
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Re: Ultimate E46 restoration thread

Looks good Tim! Take care of your cars. What do you park in the garage?

[bimmerapp]

Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Good thread with lots of info and pics. This will be fun to follow.

One note... the rear dust shields are a pain to replace, as you mention, because the wheel bearings and hubs need to be removed to replace them. In case you are wondering why the front shields didn't rust, it's because of BMW's weight savings plan for the E46 (vs E36). BMW uses aluminum for the front brake shields! Awesome!

Those wheels look great. Perfect color.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
HOLY RUST!

glad I ended up in cali in 84 and not boston like I was supposed to.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Ultimate E46 restoration thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382110531.294882.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	531296

Parts delivery! Rear wheel bearing replacement kit from ECStuning.com and new rear brake rotor shields arrived.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Nice. Hope you have the harbor freight wheel bearing tool kit on standby (as I've advised WDE) as well as very heavy duty snap ring pliers for those snap rings. Harbor freight ones won't work =( I used two screwdrivers in a pinch after destroying the harbor freight snapring pliers...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382111698.335934.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	531297

Just picked this up from Harbor Freight. I have a decent set of snap ring pliers. Hope they hold up.

Tim

Last edited by tim330i; 10-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Excellent. you will love that tool kit

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Parts and tools, it's like christmas
Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
+1 on that kit.
First bearing job done by shop, he hammered the crap out of the bearing. Destroyed in 2500 miles.
Second bearing, I jigged up the tool and installed. Crapped out in 6000 miles.
Third one, I used that HF tool. Took me 4 hours, but it was because the exhaust had to be dropped.
So, yah I went through 3 bearings in a year.
All F.A.G. bearings from BMA. BMA was really good on the replacements though.

Good luck man.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
ahhh Tim, you should have popped this up in the New England section! I already have that HF front wheel bearing kit and am in Mass!

Subscribing to this baby so I can see where else the rust pops up.

No rust on the body panels at all? That is the thorn in the side of my existence now.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382121020.400388.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	531306

Another parts delivery thanks to Evan and Jason at www.getBMWparts.com! Lots of replacement bolts for the brakes and other odds and ends.

Sadly there is some rust on the body as well. That will be addressed. Not sure if that will happen before the winter or if I will wait until the spring. The way this project budget it growing I'll probably wait and do a couple more things in the spring while it is in the shop.

Last edited by tim330i; 10-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Ahhh, nothing like a $100 bag of bolts! I had one of those when I tackled my wife's oil pan gasket. And boy was I glad I got so many new nuts and bolts! what is that piece in the lower left corner?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Ahhh, nothing like a $100 bag of bolts! I had one of those when I tackled my wife's oil pan gasket. And boy was I glad I got so many new nuts and bolts! what is that piece in the lower left corner?
Yep and I have another box of bolts and bits coming that will be at least $150. I'm getting nutted and bolted to death on this project! I could reuse some of the nuts/bolts but at $1 or so each the peace of mind is worth it.

Lower left is brake line brackets. They're not as rusty as I thought but they were ~ $5 so I figured while I'm at it, might as well replace them.

Tim
Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

^Great job on being thorough. I wish I had new camber bolts when I did this job but oh well. Next time I'm in there replacing stuff! Mine came out easily though probably because I've had a few alignments and it never got a chance to fuse to eachother.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
First time I can remember anyone doing it all before being told to do it all by you know who!

Nice thread...and have fun!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
05Mdriver

My Ride: 05 M3.
Good luck with the rebuild man !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
5W50 and a Red Line filter for the engine oil
Not trying to derail the thread - but why redline 5w50 and not castrol 10w 60 motor oil ?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
Good luck with the rebuild man !

Not trying to derail the thread - but why redline 5w50 and not castrol 10w 60 motor oil ?
Thanks! I'll have more details on the engine oil once I get to that step. Stay tuned!

Tim
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382373755.373335.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	531624Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382373762.739310.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	531625Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382373770.371909.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	531626

Christmas in October! Bilstein PSS10s from BimmerWorld - http://store.bimmerworld.com/bilstei...ems-p1466.aspx

Last edited by tim330i; 10-23-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382388618.404536.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	531658

Rear shock mounts and reinforcement plates. Another E46 common maintenance item that will be replaced. I got these parts from getBMWparts.com a couple years back and general maintenance. Finally getting to install them.

Tim

Tags
best m3, bimmerworld, bmw, bmw e46, bmw e46 forum, bmw forum, e46 bmw, e46 fanatics, e46 forum, e46 m3 forum, m3 forum, m3forum, m3post