E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Mannydog

My Ride: '02 330Xi 5spd
Front axles and Suspension-do at the same time?

I've got 110,000 on my 330xi sedan. I've had it since 64k, so I assume the front components are original.

I've had noticeable clunking noises for a while, most obvious at low speeds like speed bumps and rough pavements in parking lots.
I figure its time to do the control arms and CABs, possibly the sway bar links and strut bearings.

I had the car jacked recently and tried to see what was worn/loose, but couldn't tell much.

I did notice that the drivers outboard CV boot was ripped. No noises yet, but I figure on swapping axles, not messing with repacking/new boots.

I've started looking at the various DIYs, but my main question is whether to do the suspension and the axle(s) at the same time, or if it's better as a two weekend deal.

This car is my daily driver, don't have a 2nd car (except for my e28, which is 2500 miles away).

FYI, I'm a veteran DIYer, but currently have a tiny garage, and live in a small town without many resources.

'02 330xi 5 spd
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Mflara20

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Front axles and Suspension-do at the same time?

I would do everything that need to be done at once so you don't have to go through that pain twice.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Mannydog

I guess the heart of my question is how much of the two jobs is redundant, (aside from getting the car up in the air).

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydog View Post
I guess the heart of my question is how much of the two jobs is redundant, (aside from getting the car up in the air).
Don't go crazy with it. It might be something cheap and very simple like the stabilizer end links (which are very prone to early failure). Get down there and shake things around by hand and order what you need. Jack up one side and use a large crowbar to torque areas where there are bushings and check for major play.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydog View Post
a good amount is redundant. You will already have everything disconnected from the bottom of the strut to do the axles. It's been awhile, but I believe that just leaves unbolting the strut from the top and the whole thing will come out.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
longtallsally

My Ride: '02 325xi
I took the whole passenger side out when doing front boots since I couldn't get the axle out of the hub. I'd do it all at once as MiniXP there is quite a bit that is redundant.
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Don't go crazy with it. It might be something cheap and very simple like the stabilizer end links (which are very prone to early failure). Get down there and shake things around by hand and order what you need. Jack up one side and use a large crowbar to torque areas where there are bushings and check for major play.
+1, most likely the clunking is the sway bar connecting links.

I replaced the entire suspension becasue I need to drive the car another 50,000 miles without down time.

I did both axles because both outer boots were torn and it looked like for a little while.

To do the axles and the suspension bushings at the same time makes sense if they are worn, the swaybar bushings and struts can be changed without going that deep.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Mannydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
I replaced the entire suspension becasue I need to drive the car another 50,000 miles without down time.
I'm in the same boat philosophically, two years ago at 90k, I did the entire cooling system, including a Stewart WP, to feel like I would have everything covered for a while.
I live in the boonies, and need to go long distances (2 hours to Seattle, 4 hours to Portland) on a regular basis, and don't want to be stranded in a blizzard.

All that being said, $$ is very tight right now (with promise of things getting better soon). if I could get by with just sway bar links, then go back in and do it right in a couple months or even better, this spring, that would be great.

I'm gonna try and check out the SB links tonight...

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
If money is tight don't bother replacing anything unless it's broken or unsafe or is going to cause you to be stranded somewhere. Your front suspension, while it might be worn, is probably fine to drive on for a while without issue unless springs are cracked or shocks are leaking. If you can't see any movement or obvious wear in the CAB bushings or ball joints, they are probably worn but fine and same for the strut bearings.

Your clunking issue is textbook sway bar end links. Replace them to get rid of your clunk and call it good.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Mannydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
If money is tight don't bother replacing anything unless it's broken or unsafe or is going to cause you to be stranded somewhere. Your front suspension, while it might be worn, is probably fine to drive on for a while without issue unless springs are cracked or shocks are leaking. If you can't see any movement or obvious wear in the CAB bushings or ball joints, they are probably worn but fine and same for the strut bearings.

Your clunking issue is textbook sway bar end links. Replace them to get rid of your clunk and call it good.
Yeah, that's what I am coming around to figuring.
I took off the drivers side SW link last night, and it seemed a little loose. Interestingly, it was only when I popped off one of the boots that I could feel slop.

I decided to try the Moog links. I've seen both good and bad reviews, but I have a credit on Amazon, so I am getting the pair of them for $15, so I figured it's worth a shot (since Amazon doesn't have Lemforders).

'02 330xi 5 spd
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Mannydog

So I ended up doing the sway bar links and that cleared up the low speed clunking.
I figure myself a fair to middling shade tree mechanic, but I've never been good at diagnosing suspension parts.
Thanks for the nudges to try the cheap option first!

FYI, I did have to take the links off to feel the slop. On the driver's side, as I said above, it still didn't feel loose until I popped the boot off, though on the passenger's side, it was worse, and I could feel it pretty easily without de-booting. A hugely satisfying fix, the clunking was really getting to me.

Will do the drive axle soon.

'02 330xi 5 spd