E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Uncle Scotty

My Ride: 2004 325i
I can only afford ONE set of tires, so......

I'm getting to the wear bars on my current Bridgestones, and am wondering what I should be putting on the 325i for the upcoming winter.

Is there a "recommended" (i.e. most popular amongst readers, here) "all-season" tire that represents the "best value/best performance" overall?

I realize this is a "dreamland" request.....and, of COURSE I'd love to have enough moolah lying around to have a pair of Blizzaks for winter and a nice pair of sticky Conti's for summer......but, don't have the cash OR the room for storing the "other" set in either season.

Ideas? Tips? Hints? Thanks, guys.

Michael
(P.S. I'm in southern Ontario and experience cold weather from now til March end...but roads are most often centre-bare in winter. Although... :-) )

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package

$60 rebate,

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
I'm running the Gmax tires right now. Don't go with those. I'm not too confident driving when it snows. Gonna give something else a shot, when they wear out.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter

Last edited by moiz21; 11-06-2014 at 04:50 PM.
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty

Really? ........You'd put a set of Hankooks on a Bimmer???
Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Really? ........You'd put a set of Hankooks on a Bimmer???
Wow, that's the thanks i get for giving you some tire info.

To answer your question YES, i ran a used set of Hankook Z-214's on the street for a few months in dry conditions, they had more grip than any other tire i've ever used.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 11-07-2014 at 12:09 AM.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Uncle Scotty

Sorry, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Wow, that's the thanks i get for giving you some tire info.

To answer your question YES, i ran a used set of Hankook Z-214's on the street for a few months in dry conditions, they had more grip than any other tire i've ever used.
Didn't mean to offend! :-)

It's just that I put a set of Hankooks on my 07 Camry once (wifey's daily commuter) and they felt like the car had been turned into a Flintstone-mobile.

Don't know if it was just one bad tire.....or a bad balance job or what it was, but I got them off quick and put on the Michelins I should have bought in the first place. $300 more.....but what a difference.

Not hearing from many people out there.

What.....no one PUTS new tires on their E46?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
fraserp

My Ride: 2006 e46 Cic
I had Hankooks for about 3 months, big mistake. First hard braking and tires were DONE. Now I am wearing Toyo, no complaints. From past experience Continental DWS and Toyo are very good tires. From my recent experience with Tire Rack I would recommend you stay away.
fraserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I'm getting to the wear bars on my current Bridgestones, and am wondering what I should be putting on the 325i for the upcoming winter.

Is there a "recommended" (i.e. most popular amongst readers, here) "all-season" tire that represents the "best value/best performance" overall?

I realize this is a "dreamland" request.....and, of COURSE I'd love to have enough moolah lying around to have a pair of Blizzaks for winter and a nice pair of sticky Conti's for summer......but, don't have the cash OR the room for storing the "other" set in either season.

Ideas? Tips? Hints? Thanks, guys.

Michael
(P.S. I'm in southern Ontario and experience cold weather from now til March end...but roads are most often centre-bare in winter. Although... :-) )
At the end of the day, all season tires are good for almost nothing with RWD. With AWD you can obviously get away with it, but not RWD.

Not to sound like a dick, but if you were to get a mid grade winter tire right now, so... not spending $600ish on Blizzacks... you can't budget for the next 5 months to get a pair of summer/all season tires?

I never skimp out on winter tires. For me, with RWD you can't put a price on safety bud.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
At the end of the day, all season tires are good for almost nothing with RWD. With AWD you can obviously get away with it, but not RWD.

Not to sound like a dick, but if you were to get a mid grade winter tire right now, so... not spending $600ish on Blizzacks... you can't budget for the next 5 months to get a pair of summer/all season tires?

I never skimp out on winter tires. For me, with RWD you can't put a price on safety bud.

^ This.

Oh and for the record, I'm currently on a set of Hankook R-S3 245/40-17 in a square setup. They're a great set of summer tires.....

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
I just bought a set of Michelin Alpin PA3 snow tires from Tire Rack. They get installed tomorrow.
I'll let you know how they compare to Michelin Primacy All Seasons that came on the car.

But if you drive at all in the snow, I agree with JJR: the cost of snow tires is the price of doing business with a RWD car.

I understand being jammed up on budget, but I think if you watch the classifieds here between now and May, you can find a set of wheels with summer tires pretty cheap.

Last edited by avincent52; 11-16-2014 at 07:18 PM.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Uncle Scotty

Quote:

OK.....I know where you guys are all coming from; like I said, if money were no object, I'd have a nice set of wheels for each season!

Let me ask ONE MORE cheapster question:
Does anybody out there think I can get away with snows on the back only?

(Be kind!) :-)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
That is horribly dangerous and illegal in a lot of places. I would rather see you with 4 all seasons through winter then 2 winters in the back only.

03 Carbon Black X5 4.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I have Continental DWS , quiet, drive great, I play around occasionally the they are predictable street traction.
Snow and rain performance is excellent. Would I run them on a race car? no.
But until I find something that's a fair price that lasts longer they are here to stay..
Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
OK.....I know where you guys are all coming from; like I said, if money were no object, I'd have a nice set of wheels for each season!
Let me ask ONE MORE cheapster question:
(Be kind!) :-)
Another option, you just need to deal with putting them on (About 3 min per tire) & taking them off.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=10

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
That is horribly dangerous and illegal in a lot of places. I would rather see you with 4 all seasons through winter then 2 winters in the back only.
Thanks for your comment......but, easy there!

Illegal in some places?

Maybe on the Roger's Pass coming through the Alberta Rockies.....where they don't let you in without proving you've got chains in your trunk......but, I can't imagine any other jurisdiction where they have a LAW about the type of tires you have on your car.

Please do send a link to that section of your Highway Traffic Act.

Where you AT, anyway? :-)
Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Another option, you just need to deal with putting them on (About 3 min per tire) & taking them off.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=10

Rob43
Oh THAT ain't gonna happen!

I'll do a lot of things to make sure I don't get stuck in the snow.....(like carry a bag of kitty litter in the trunk for weight and traction).......but having chains thrashing around inside my wheel wells on my baby Bimmer is not one of them!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #17
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Oh THAT ain't gonna happen!

I'll do a lot of things to make sure I don't get stuck in the snow.....(like carry a bag of kitty litter in the trunk for weight and traction).......but having chains thrashing around inside my wheel wells on my baby Bimmer is not one of them!

Again with dumb assumptions.

They're Not chains, they're a thin cable. SCC designed them for Audi, BMW, & Mercedes.

Based on this thread of yours, you might want to do more research on things first before you put up some of the posts you have.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Listen man, I'm trying to help. In a perfect world money would be no object for everyone, however if you budget and save say, $100 a month... come spring time you will have your money for your summer tires. Not sure how much more simple I can make it. If you are on that tight of a budget I guess there are no real options.

Good luck. Do things the right way, you dont' need to buy the best of the best but get tires that work for the climate. You want to be safe.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Listen man, I'm trying to help. In a perfect world money would be no object for everyone, however if you budget and save say, $100 a month... come spring time you will have your money for your summer tires. Not sure how much more simple I can make it. If you are on that tight of a budget I guess there are no real options.

Good luck. Do things the right way, you dont' need to buy the best of the best but get tires that work for the climate. You want to be safe.
Appreciate your comments. I'm in the unusual situation of facing the first purchase of new tires for the Bimmer.......AND being in a climatic environment that is pretty rare as well. (Here in Niagara Region, Ontario, we've got one of those macro-micro climate things going on.....which, yes, makes it great for the grape growers, but tough for making tire decisions.)

Might just go ahead and do what that gentleman dwtaylorpdx suggested....with the Contis. Seems like a nice compromise. Thanks, Dave.
(Wow.....that Rob guy's got attitude, doesn't he?! Thanks for being so friendly, Rob. Nice post to a newcomer in need. Who moderates this forum anyway?)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
I tend to be very, very light handed in moderating as E46F has always been a place people can speak bluntly and directly without the heavy moderation found at other sites. We draw the line at name calling and other serious remarks/offenses, of course.

To confirm your decision, the Conti DWS is your best option for an all season tire for this car with good light snow traction.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is online now   Reply With Quote