E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
cliftonjay

My Ride: 2001 330 CI
Stuck Even in Manual

Hi All, I'm new to this forum, so hopefully you all can help me. I'm a pretty handy amateur mechanic, but I'm still an amateur. I have had several E46 convertibles, but me current is 2001 330 ci.

History. This conv top has the pinched wire problem in the hinge by the base. I have fixed this about 3 times, and the top then works fine. I can even peek in and see the latest break at the same spot.

Problem. But the broken wire is not my current problem. Current problem is that I cannot get the top to release manually. Yup, I did all the normal things:
- unscrew the windshield locks
- pressed the button and turned the cover release lock

But, the back of the top by the rear window will not budge. I tried a bit of force but don't want to break it.

I'm thinking that the hydraulic pressure is preventing me from releasing the back and in turn the cover. I even waited to see if the hydraulic pressure would subside (like the book says it's supposed to) but no luck.

Another symptom that I don't understand is that the rear trunk lock is no longer activated. I figure that this is some kind of preventive item when the sensors are in the midst of top open/close.

I was thinking that maybe disconnecting battery might help.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. CLIF
cliftonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
I had to go through this yesterday, just keeeeeeep turning. Turn until it gets hard to turn then stop. Then get out of the car and fold the roof by hand. Pull the front latch portion back and then pull the rear portion up. Make sure the storage lid is out of the way. Good luck, it takes some time but you'll get it.
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
We need a sticky on manually manipulating the top. The storage lid is held down by 2 latches operated by cables attached to a motor under the rear seat. The cables must be in this position for the latches to be released. If they are not then push the button and keep turning, left or right, whichever is easier.

If the roof is in an error state the trunk is locked out electronically. Close the top and try the trunk. If the trunk still won't open electronically then likely your trunk harness has a broke wire at the bend between trunk and body. Search, it is a common e46 problem. A broken trunk harness wire can indicate the trunk is open and the convertible top operation will be locked out. Usually that is accompanied by the trunk open light on the dash.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
cliftonjay

Still Stuck

So far no good. I have jimmied with the rear cover with the button with override to manual crack (under the back seat). Still no luck. So anyone know and can advise me on two tactics:
1. Where might I access the cable-based latches to the rear cover? By stripping the trunk or by taking out the back seats.

2. Should I try releasing the hydraulic pressure? If so how would I do this?

thanks...CLIF
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonjay View Post
So far no good. I have jimmied with the rear cover with the button with override to manual crack (under the back seat). Still no luck. So anyone know and can advise me on two tactics:
1. Where might I access the cable-based latches to the rear cover? By stripping the trunk or by taking out the back seats.

2. Should I try releasing the hydraulic pressure? If so how would I do this?

thanks...CLIF
1. Did you remove the rear seat and check the position of the cables as in the photo I posted? If not, go do it now. If the cables are not in the position pictured, push the button and turn the crank till they are. If the crank is tough to turn, try the other direction or find a stronger friend.

2. With the vehicle off there is no hydraulic pressure. The pump builds up pressure when turned on, and releases pressure when turned off. If the lid will not open then it is related to the cables or motor as the design of the latches will release if either the cable or motor fails.

3. I suspect I misinterpreted your initial post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonjay
But, the back of the top by the rear window will not budge.
Can you lift the rear window? If not then you need to crank the motor by the windshield more. There are 2 sets of latches controlled by that motor, the 2 obvious ones that connect to the windshield, and 2 more at the "first bend". If both sets of latches are not released you will not be able to raise the rear window section.

If that solves your issue you owe me a case of Canadian beer.

Last edited by taylor192; 10-22-2013 at 06:48 PM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
cliftonjay

OK, thanks all for your input and help. But now I'm in worse shape because the windshield release crank appears to have broken. I was going to try and turn/open it more so that the hing lock would release. But, now the little allen bolt seems to unscrew! This seems wrong. I tried applying pressure to keep in in/engaged but no luck. So now I can even release the windsheid at all. I am thinking that this is trouble. Getting access to this mechanism looks like a pain.

One alternative that I was contemplating was to open the headliner by the back hing, and get to my broken wire through the back. I know which wire it is bc it broke before.

Any ideas? Thanks...CLIF
Old 10-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
taylor192

Re: Stuck Even in Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonjay View Post
OK, thanks all for your input and help. But now I'm in worse shape because the windshield release crank appears to have broken. I was going to try and turn/open it more so that the hing lock would release. But, now the little allen bolt seems to unscrew! This seems wrong. I tried applying pressure to keep in in/engaged but no luck. So now I can even release the windsheid at all. I am thinking that this is trouble. Getting access to this mechanism looks like a pain.

One alternative that I was contemplating was to open the headliner by the back hing, and get to my broken wire through the back. I know which wire it is bc it broke before.

Any ideas? Thanks...CLIF
Yep, you're screwed. No point fixing the wire if the front latches won't release manually. Search and you'll find some recent threads where members had to cut open the panel to access the latches and motor. If either breaks with the roof closed there's no way to remove the panel, you have to cut it open.

If the Allen key is turning without doing anything then the plastic gear inside the motor assembly is broken and you'll need a whole new motor assembly since the gear isn't available. Again search, a member posted great details about this recently.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
cliftonjay

Thanks for the reply and insight on the windshield motor. I'm going to take a respite on this, bc the car is in CA. When I do, I'll probably take one of those rotozips and cut the plastic cover, and get access to the motor assembly.