E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
badfast

My Ride: A Car
The Tea Party and National Security

http://nationalinterest.org/print/co...-security-9264

Quote:
Much is being said and written about the impact of the government closure and debt crisis on everything from workers’ salaries, to the availability of statistics that are critical for the management of businesses and farms, to the slowing of economic growth, to the weakening of America’s overall financial position at home and abroad. There has been far less focus on effect of the Washington stalemate on American national security, not merely in terms of the size, shape and composition of the defense budget, but, more generally, on international perceptions of American stability and reliability in light of the scorched earth policies of the Tea Party and its Congressional sympathizers.

It is not just that foreign diplomats, officials and analysts echo a common question and a uniform manta about what has been going on in Washington, the question being, “what is wrong with you people” and the mantra, “you have all gone mad.” It is that the ability of the military to engage with its counterparts overseas, a key element in America’s alliance strategy, is being seriously compromised.

A prime example was the last-minute cancellation [3] in early October of the International Seapower Symposium in Newport, RI, for the want of a few hundred thousand dollars that were unavailable as a result of the shutdown. The ISS, as it is called, is the world's largest meeting of world naval leaders, involving over one hundred commanders of foreign navies. The cancellation not only embarrassed the Department of Defense, the Navy, and, of course, Admiral Jonathan Greenert, the Chief of Naval Operations, but also robbed him of the precious opportunity to advance naval cooperation with America’s allies and friends.

Political pundits tend to argue that the Tea Party’s adherents are isolationist and therefore are indifferent to America’s international relations. That is not entirely correct. Senator Ted Cruz, whose meteoric rise as a public figure owes much, if not all, to his Tea Party sympathies, recently was honored by an ultra-pro-Israel group called EMET with its “Speaker of the Truth Award,” for “daring to stand with Israel.”

The issue is not a matter of ideological isolationism but rather of pure and utter ignorance. The Congressional Tea Party crowd simply does not understand that American prosperity depends on its security; that its security depends on its ability to preserve a stable world order; that its ability to do so depends on maintaining and sustaining its relations with allies and friends; and that, in turn, depends on their perception of American reliability and consistency. By forcing the government into crisis on a quarterly basis, the Tea Party is reducing the United States to the equivalent of the Fourth French Republic; a nation with whom agreements were always in jeopardy because governments stood and fell with unnerving regularity.

Some long-standing American allies and friends may tolerate Congressional behavior as a peculiar Washington peccadillo, but others may not. In particular, Asian states, already doubtful that there will ever be an American “pivot” to their part of the world, may become more willing to give way to China, including its claims of sovereignty over the South China Sea. Some Middle Eastern allies may seek to enhance their relations with Iran, as is already the case with Turkey. Others in the region may increasingly look to Russia and China as their primary arms suppliers, thereby reducing America’s ability to support what is left of a stable Middle Eastern order, and, for that matter, to help deter threats against Israel, for whose defense Senator Cruz wins awards. Even some European states may seek to accommodate an increasingly assertive Russia, given their perception of American unreliability.

There only way to stop the Congressional Tea Party coterie from undermining American security, is for Republicans both in and out of Congress to push back against this increasingly disruptive force. In particular, neoconservatives and Republican realists, who differ on so many issues, must recognize that they both share a commitment to American leadership abroad that the extreme Right is beginning to undermine. Most internationalist Republicans, of whatever stripe, have serious disagreements with the Obama administration’s foreign policy; they believe that it has created an image of an uncertain and weak America. The Tea Party is reinforcing that image in spades. With time, Republicans will be in a position to reverse the administration’s policies, much as Ronald Reagan reversed those of Jimmy Carter; but Republicans can ill afford to wait while the Tea Party does so much damage to America’s status as the leader of the Free World that it will be beyond repair.
I really find these two quotes interesting.

Quote:
Senator Ted Cruz, whose meteoric rise as a public figure owes much, if not all, to his Tea Party sympathies, recently was honored by an ultra-pro-Israel group called EMET with its “Speaker of the Truth Award,” for “daring to stand with Israel.”
Is this "daring to stand with Israel" equivalent to the rhetoric about the "war on Christmas" and the "war on Christianity"?

And...
Quote:
Some Middle Eastern allies may seek to enhance their relations with Iran, as is already the case with Turkey. Others in the region may increasingly look to Russia and China as their primary arms suppliers, thereby reducing America’s ability to support what is left of a stable Middle Eastern order, and, for that matter, to help deter threats against Israel, for whose defense Senator Cruz wins awards. Even some European states may seek to accommodate an increasingly assertive Russia, given their perception of American unreliability.
Perhaps some will realize these games of brinkmanship do have their costs.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I feel like it is far more "daring" to not stand with Israel.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
yep, SecDef Hagel is already trying to reaffirm commitments to our partners because of this.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I feel like it is far more "daring" to not stand with Israel.
I feel the same. But I guess, according to select groups, we would be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
yep, SecDef Hagel is already trying to reaffirm commitments to our partners because of this.
You would think those that believe that American power keeps the world safe would engage in actions that breed trust and confidence with our allies. Recent actions demonstrate the opposite. I certainly believe the world is a safer place in a unipolar setting (or one superpower among many great powers). I think the world would be a worse place moving towards a bipolar or multipolar setting. With the rise of China and the resurgence of Russia, a few American political agitators are moving America in the wrong direction.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Well, at least they all agree on that.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
on a related topic, I'm debating if I really want to go to AUSA convention today.