E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
- My Progress -

Well I've been lazy with comprehensive exams coming up and such. I want to get back into fitness and start making some gains. Also swim season started so I need to get into better shape for that. It is highly motivating when you guys notice the small gains so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Starting Monday this will be my workout schedule. I listed the compound lifts with the days they are going to be done. It's a pretty basic A B schedule. I just put arms on leg day so that I have something to do besides just legs. I hate going to the gym and not getting an upper body pump

This might not be the best workout schedule but I like it and I'll change it if I feel the need to.

Monday
7:00 pm

Chest - Back - Traps - Shoulders - Forearm
Bench
Deadlift

Tuesday
9:30 am

Legs - Glutes - Arms
Squats

Swim Practice

Wednesday

Bench
Deadlift

Thursday
2:00 pm

Legs - Glutes - Arms
Squats

Swim Practice

Friday

Bench
Deadlift

Saturday

Swim Meet or Run

Sunday

Legs - Glutes - Arms
Squats

Last edited by Torok.Designs; 10-22-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Torok.Designs

Here is my everyday meal schedule. Please criticize.

Goal Macros From IIFYM to lose fat
Carbs : 307 Protein : 200 Fat : 80 Fiber : 40 Calories : 2636

Morning
Supreme Protein Bar 30g carbs 30g protein 14g fat 370 calories

Meal #1
4 eggs 4g carbs 24g protein 18g fat 280 calories

Post workout
2 scoop whey 12g carbs 50g protein 6g fat 300 calories

Meal #2
.5 cup refried 16g carbs 6g protein 0g fat 90 calories
.5 cup beans 22g carbs 8g protein 0g fat 120 calories
1 tortilla 36g carbs 6g protein 4.5g fat 210 calories

Meal #3
8 oz chicken 0g carbs 48g protein 6g fat 240 calories
.25 cup white rice 35g carbs 3g protein 0g fat 160 calories
1 cup veggies 14g carbs 4g protein 0g fat 100 calories

Bedtime
2 scoop casein 12g carbs 50g protein 6g fat 300 calories

Total Macros
181g carbs 229g protein 54.5g fat 2,170 calories

Last edited by Torok.Designs; 10-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Torok.Designs

Saved for monday's first progress picture.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
///TRNSPRTR

My Ride: 07 Tundra, 02 M3
Are you planning rest/recovery days?
///TRNSPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
pics *******!
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: - My Progress -

Need stats, pics and a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're new into things, you'll see a change no matter what you do as long a you do it, but if you want to see any real quality results i don't think your routines will do it. In my eyes you're combining to many muscle groups and different compound lifts, so the body will be too strained to really hit any particular muscle group hard enough. Just my 2 cents.

Nonetheless, welcome to the community and good luck on your way. We don't all start with a perfect layout. Get at it and don't give up!
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Torok.Designs

haha this is Dom on a new account.

But again my stats are: 6' 0'' 195-200lbs 21 years old.

As for rest days I believe in CT Fletcher's idea that there is no such thing as overtraining. Kind of... But seriously I think that between workouts is enough rest for me. It might not be optimum and might be stupid for a pro bodybuilder, but I'm just doing this for a hobby and aesthetics. I think I'll be fine. If I find that I'm too tired or feel like I'm overtraining then I'll add more rest.

I'll take my starting progress picture soon.

I want to get a lot more muscle but also a six pack.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Torok.Designs

Oh also, I've been trying the EC stack and love it. Bronkaid and caffeine. I've been slacking on everything lately though. I'll buy more of everything and start on Monday the 27th.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
But again my stats are: 6' 0'' 195-200lbs 21

There's only certain muscle groups ct's philosophy works with.

If you want to gain substantial size I'd definitely recommend not doing full body workouts like you have planned. You won't be able to stimulate the muscles like they need to be to trigger quality growth. I dedicate all my workouts to 1 main muscle group. If you're working the muscle properly and hard enough to gain, you shouldn't physically be able to to bench on day 3 after benching on day 1 (if i bench Monday my chest isnt usually good again until middle of Thursday). My advice would be to focus on less at each workout, but focus on that individual part more intensely.

These are things i wish i knew when i started. Again just my 2 cents....
Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Trashcan

I'd also recommend a full meal post workout if you can, instead of just a shake. Post workout you have about a 45 minute window to fuel your body to maintain optimum results.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
- My Progress -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
I'd also recommend a full meal post workout if you can, instead of just a shake. Post workout you have about a 45 minute window to fuel your body to maintain optimum results.
Broscience

This window is a made up thing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Trashcan

Touche'. Google definitely supports your claim. Nonetheless this will always remain part of my routine.

It does have some real legitimacy for people that workout fasted though.

Last edited by Trashcan; 10-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Torok.Designs

I'll try what I have for the first week or two and see how I feel. I understand what you are saying and if I feel the need after that first week or two then I'll switch it up to focus on less body parts each day.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #14
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Phil Heath, Kai Greene, Dennis Wolf, Jay Cutler, Branch Warren, Ronnie Coleman, Flex Wheeler, Ahhnold, etc etc. They all incorporate rest days. Dana Linn Bailey, first ever female Ms. Olympia uses rest days. There is a legitimate reason for them, and it's for recovery and regeneration of energy stores, and elimination of lactic acid. CT Fletcher is an icon of sorts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything he says is good or makes sense.

Quote:
Monday

Bench
Deadlift
You're doing all of that in one day, 3x per week? If it's working, expect the law of diminishing returns to kick in pretty quickly. That whole workout right there takes me 3 separate days to do. Most other people here who are big lifters are probably in the same boat as me. If you want to develop better results, you need to do less body parts and more for each body part for each day. Seriously. The fact that you're doing it 3x per week is going to have adverse affects.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #15
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
haha this is Dom on a new account.

But again my stats are: 6' 0'' 195-200lbs 21 years old.

As for rest days I believe in CT Fletcher's idea that there is no such thing as overtraining. Kind of... But seriously I think that between workouts is enough rest for me. It might not be optimum and might be stupid for a pro bodybuilder, but I'm just doing this for a hobby and aesthetics. I think I'll be fine. If I find that I'm too tired or feel like I'm overtraining then I'll add more rest.

I'll take my starting progress picture soon.

lol
try to keep up your workout schedule for more than a month or two and then come back and tell us if there's no such thing as overtraining

i was so eager to get in the gym and did not schedule any rest days
eventually my body let me know that i needed to rest

that's assuming you're going all out and actually training like you want to reach your goals
if you take it easy, then you can keep at it for a while ... but you won't get the results you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Phil Heath, Kai Greene, Dennis Wolf, Jay Cutler, Branch Warren, Ronnie Coleman, Flex Wheeler, Ahhnold, etc etc. They all incorporate rest days. Dana Linn Bailey, first ever female Ms. Olympia uses rest days. There is a legitimate reason for them, and it's for recovery and regeneration of energy stores, and elimination of lactic acid. CT Fletcher is an icon of sorts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything he says is good or makes sense.

You're doing all of that in one day, 3x per week? If it's working, expect the law of diminishing returns to kick in pretty quickly. That whole workout right there takes me 3 separate days to do. Most other people here who are big lifters are probably in the same boat as me. If you want to develop better results, you need to do less body parts and more for each body part for each day. Seriously. The fact that you're doing it 3x per week is going to have adverse affects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
lol
try to keep up your workout schedule for more than a month or two and then come back and tell us if there's no such thing as overtraining

i was so eager to get in the gym and did not schedule any rest days
eventually my body let me know that i needed to rest

that's assuming you're going all out and actually training like you want to reach your goals
if you take it easy, then you can keep at it for a while ... but you won't get the results you want
I used to do an "A upper body B lower body" workout schedule and didn't notice any adverse affects.

Also you might not have understood my slight sarcasm when I talked about CT Fletcher.

We'll see how it goes. Don't get upset with me lol, like I said I'm just going to try this for a week or two and see how it goes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Reedo302

What you do is going to be subjective to your own body and needs, but also what you want to accomplish. If your goal is to make gains in strength and size, I'll post up a routine that works.
This is a routine straight from 4x Mr. O, Jay Cutler using his book, "CEO Muscle".

BEGINNER ROUTINE

Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Day 2: Back & Biceps
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders, Traps, Abs & Calves

Also, here is an excellent excerpt from that book:
Quote:
Pretty Common Beginner Pitfalls
The biggest mistake I see beginners making is overtraining - staying in the gym too long, doing too many sets, training too many times a week. But the reality is that too much work or too many sets with insufficient rest outside the gym lead to a complete lack of progress. So moderate your training to include rest, rest, and more rest. Rest days are the days you grow. Although it might seem like you're growing in the gym right then and there, that's only because your blood volume is pumped into your muscles. The days off when you rest are the days your muscles heal, repair, and grow new cells, so make sure to include plenty of rest in your routine.
-CEO Muscle, pg. 56

INTERMEDIATE WORKOUT

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders & Traps
Day 3: Arms
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: OFF

As a variation, here is the routine that IFBB Pro Fouad Abiad helped me put together:

Day 1: Legs (main emphasis on quads)
Day 2: Arms
Day 3: Shoulders & Traps
Day 4: OFF
Day 5: Back & Hams
Day 6: Chest

Abs every day or every other day, depending on how you feel

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-23-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Dom, you seem to have very good genetics plus from what I remember your a collegiate athlete. You're not exactly on the same level as some normal gym rat. Throw in some rest days from time to time and you'll be good to go. We tend to over think these things and they people saying to rest, eat perfectly, don't over train are the exact people CT Fletcher makes fun of and I find it pretty funny.

Not calling anyone out here at all. Just saying that in more cases than not, rest isn't the issue, it's the intensity and consistency.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Reedo302

Every time I watch a CT Fletcher video, I always try and think of a way that I can be like him and get popular on the internet by yelling loudly, calling everyone a motherfvcker and using single-instance anecdotal circumstance to countermand decades of clinical studies and professionally-proven methodologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Not calling anyone out here at all. Just saying that in more cases than not, rest isn't the issue, it's the intensity and consistency.
Here's the thing- if you're going to church and giving it your all in there on every exercise, you need the rest days.
So, under what circumstances would that not be necessary?

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
What you do is going to be subjective to your own body and needs, but also what you want to accomplish. If your goal is to make gains in strength and size, I'll post up a routine that works.
This is a routine straight from 4x Mr. O, Jay Cutler using his book, "CEO Muscle".

BEGINNER ROUTINE

Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Day 2: Back & Biceps
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders, Traps, Abs & Calves

Also, here is an excellent excerpt from that book:

INTERMEDIATE WORKOUT

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders & Traps
Day 3: Arms
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: OFF

As a variation, here is the routine that IFBB Pro Fouad Abiad helped me put together:

Day 1: Legs (main emphasis on quads)
Day 2: Arms
Day 3: Shoulders & Traps
Day 4: OFF
Day 5: Back & Hams
Day 6: Chest

Abs every day or every other day, depending on how you feel
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration after I try this out for a week or two and see how I feel. I did however make a second workout routine after hearing what you all have to say. It has slightly less muscle groups per day.

Like I said I'm starting monday so I'll let you know which one I choose to go with on monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Dom, you seem to have very good genetics plus from what I remember your a collegiate athlete. You're not exactly on the same level as some normal gym rat. Throw in some rest days from time to time and you'll be good to go. We tend to over think these things and they people saying to rest, eat perfectly, don't over train are the exact people CT Fletcher makes fun of and I find it pretty funny.

Thanks, and you remember correctly. I swim for my college. This is why I post, responses like this help motivate me.

Last edited by Torok.Designs; 10-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.