E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
breadvanracing

My Ride: E46 328Ci, Z3 MC
Blizzak Decision

I've always driven my beater E34 in the snow, with Blizzak WS-50/60/70 etc. Always loved the performance of these tires in the snow, so I want to stay with the Blizzak.

Now I need to drive my E46 Coupe, sport suspension, stick shift this Winter as my daily. I have a square set of M68 fronts to mount 225/45R17 snow tires on, trying to decide between WS70 and the new LM32. Any thoughts welcomed.

My commute is back roads out in the country, farm roads that blow over with snow a lot, when the snow really hits it can be a few inches deep on the roads, they don't get plowed right away. This makes me lean towards the WS70, but on dry days I'm concerned this might have a little too much wallow for the 3 Series chassis. That said, I've only ever had the WS70 in a narrower width, 205 and below.

So is the wider WS-70 maybe less squirmy? Also, how would the LM32 deal with the deeper snow when I need it too?

Thanks,

Gav.
breadvanracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
EthirD

My Ride: '04 ZHP, '07 X5
I ran the LM25V on my S4 and found that the snow/ice traction was good but not fantastic. The dry road feel was obviously superior, but I found myself getting loose in snow/ice far more often than with the WS series. As I understand, the LM32 is supposed to be similar to the 25 in handling characteristics, so I might be concerned that while your dry traction will be better/more confidence-inspiring, your snow traction could suffer. Quattro disguises a lot of it, but to be honest, the LMs don't feel vastly superior to all-seasons in the snow. I'm sure numbers would suggest otherwise - just my personal impression.

This will be my first winter with the ZHP, and I elected to run the WS. I agree that it's soft and squirmy in the dry, but as I return to RWD in snow/ice, I wanted the max traction in those conditions. I'm also running a 215/50/17 on 4 M68 fronts. It's about 1.7% speedo difference, but on the fresh tires it's giving me essentially a 1/4-inch "lift" over stock, which I hope will help to prevent me losing underpanels. The taller sidewall will not help the "squirmy" feeling, however.
BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
breadvanracing

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I think I'll stick with the WS then.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
If you're used to the awesome ice and snow traction of a Blizzak WS-70, you may be disappointed with the winter traction of performance snow tires like the LM32.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...nter/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
breadvanracing

Thanks Gary. From talking to other people, and from advice in this thread, I'm pretty much set on the WS-70. Will probably take a Saturday morning drive over to see you guys in the near future.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
EthirD

My Ride: '04 ZHP, '07 X5
Definitely check out the tirerack comparison tests and perhaps Gary can shed some light, but it looks like the Continental beat out the WS70 in their comparison. I already bought myself some Blizzaks, but those Contis look like they might be pretty nice as well, and at a good discount compared to the Blizzak.
BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
breadvanracing

Problem solved. As luck would have it, I found a used set of WS-70 225/45R17s from a local Craigslist seller. One season of very light use on them, 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 32ndths on two of them, and the other two still have the tiny ridges on the solid rubber, basically new. $400 for all four. Just need to get them mounted on the square M68 (fronts) that I already have and I am good to go.