E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 526
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Democrats and Republicans are the same party. They both want the government to run everyone's lives for them. Our "ideology" is that you should be able to run your own life, so we get government out of the way. We aren't pushing beliefs on people, rather we pull government away.
So smaller government is a tenet of your system of beliefs (i.e.: ideology)?

Last edited by badfast; 10-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 526
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Libertarians believe in semi-anarchy. Were they in power, they would impose semi-anarchy. How do they not push their beliefs on other people?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Maybe he believes in an anarchic world people are forced to work together and cooperate?

Last edited by badfast; 10-22-2013 at 02:45 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,391
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I Didn't Know I Was a Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Maybe he believes in an anarchic world people are forced to work together and cooperate?
He's a capitalist. He believes in ruthless competition, not cooperation.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Our "ideology" is that you should be able to run your own life, so we get government out of the way. We aren't pushing beliefs on people, rather we pull government away.
How many Libertarians do you know?

Did you ask them if you're allowed to join the club?

You keep saying "we" and "our", but the Libertarians I know would not have kind things to say about your opinions.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
You just don't get it.




Continued demonstration that you have no idea what you are talking about. Your vague answer has little to do with economics. There is a ton to say about protectionism:

-it hurts the consumer's purchasing power
-typically protected industries are areas where America has lost competitiveness


Those are two economic impacts of protectionism. You haven't even explored the political sides:

-typically pushed by local politicians for voting purposes.
-local politicians are not as mobile therefore they think locally not globally by protecting industry in their area.

Very basic. And that is one side of the protectionist argument. Your stupid standardized "intrusion of government" response isn't even a factor.
You have proven my point. Protectionism hurts the consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Libertarians believe in semi-anarchy. Were they in power, they would impose semi-anarchy. How do they not push their beliefs on other people?
It's allowing people to run their lives as they please. If you want to consider that "pushing beliefs" fine, but it is doing so in the least way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
So smaller government is a tenet of your system of beliefs (i.e.: ideology)?
Yes, ideology, but it's not a new system of government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Maybe he believes in an anarchic world people are forced to work together and cooperate?
You have this strange idea that I'm going to disband the entire government and that this country will become the Stone Age. I'm still going to have government, we are still going to have an army, we are still going to have police, we are still going to have some government services, we are still going to have laws, we are still going to have order!
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
He's a capitalist. He believes in ruthless competition, not cooperation.
Competition isn't ruthless. It improves everyone's lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
How many Libertarians do you know?

Did you ask them if you're allowed to join the club?

You keep saying "we" and "our", but the Libertarians I know would not have kind things to say about your opinions.
Clearly they are not Libertarians. Probably Tea-Partiers or even Republicans.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 526
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
You have proven my point. Protectionism hurts the consumer.
I didn't prove your point. You had no point. You stated that protectionism in an intrusion of the government. WTF does that even mean?!? I provided you points on protectionism. You had no fvcking idea any other way.

Quote:
You have this strange idea that I'm going to disband the entire government and that this country will become the Stone Age. I'm still going to have government, we are still going to have an army, we are still going to have police, we are still going to have some government services, we are still going to have laws, we are still going to have order!
I am asking. In an archaic world would people be more inclined to cooperate?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
GuiltySpark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 389
My Ride: 02 325xi
I Didn't Know I Was a Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
you know nothing, jon snow
I lol'd.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I didn't prove your point. You had no point. You stated that protectionism in an intrusion of the government. WTF does that even mean?!? I provided you points on protectionism. You had no fvcking idea any other way.



I am asking. In an archaic world would people be more inclined to cooperate?
Who do you think benefits from the free market?

It's not going to be an archaic world. But I'm inclined to say that yes, we would cooperate, otherwise we wouldn't have the society that we do today. You can't argue against that.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Clearly they are not Libertarians. Probably Tea-Partiers or even Republicans.
So, anyone that disagrees with you can not be a Libertarian. Can you imagine that someone might understand a little better than you do, what it means to be a Libertarian?

These are people with work experience and military (battle!) experience who have been part of the democratic process for as long as you've been alive.

But what do they know?!
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
So, anyone that disagrees with you can not be a Libertarian. Can you imagine that someone might understand a little better than you do, what it means to be a Libertarian?

These are people with work experience and military (battle!) experience who have been part of the democratic process for as long as you've been alive.

But what do they know?!
You haven't provided enough information on them to make a decision either way. Of course there are Libertarians who are more or less radical than myself. Of course, because anyone who has work experience or military experience is always right.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I had never heard of libertarianism before so I started researching and found out that I wasn't the only one who thought this way and that I didn't have to conform to one of the two parties. When I heard the term "Independent" during an election, it basically meant they weren't a serious candidate. l]
Who told you independents aren't serious candidates? It basically means myself and many others don't form an allegiance to one party or one set of beliefs/ideals/agendas, but rather what is best for the majority and this country.

That being said, I'd probably be a Republican if they didn't have all the social issues they do.
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
this thread.


Marshmallow, you exhibit exactly what people don't like about the younger Millennial generation.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
this thread.


Marshmallow, you exhibit exactly what people don't like about the younger Millennial generation.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
this thread.


Marshmallow, you exhibit exactly what people don't like about the younger Millennial generation.
Sad part is, is that there's only about a 5 year age difference between him and I.
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Who told you independents aren't serious candidates? It basically means myself and many others don't form an allegiance to one party or one set of beliefs/ideals/agendas, but rather what is best for the majority and this country.

That being said, I'd probably be a Republican if they didn't have all the social issues they do.
The fact that they were never highly regarded by anyone or the media told me they weren't anyone to consider. When it comes to Presidential debates its Democrat vs Republican. The independent doesn't get a say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
this thread.


Marshmallow, you exhibit exactly what people don't like about the younger Millennial generation.
I'm glad I'm making waves. The old people I talk to about this really like my ideas.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #37
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Sad part is, is that there's only about a 5 year age difference between him and I.
And probably a 5 year difference between me and evolved.

Also, you're 23?
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I'm glad I'm making waves. The old people I talk to about this really like my ideas.
You're not making waves. You're just entertainment for a few people online.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,012
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
You're not making waves. You're just entertainment for a few people online.
Just wait until I get into the public eye.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 526
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Who do you think benefits from the free market?

It's not going to be an archaic world. But I'm inclined to say that yes, we would cooperate, otherwise we wouldn't have the society that we do today. You can't argue against that.
That is a liberal idea. Of course the flip side of the argument is that men seek power and therefore will position their interests over others in a power struggle (i.e.: realism).

You don't even know the source of your own beliefs. Most under qualified person to be involved in any discussions in this forum.

Last edited by badfast; 10-22-2013 at 03:21 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use