E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
The Shutdown Aftermath.

These (and other) poll numbers ought to be sobering to the GOP and TP, though for the latter at least, probably not enough so:

Basically this only confirms the plainly obvious that the whole GOP/TP shutdown and debt default gambits were immensely foolish, irresponsible and self-damaging escapades that were deeply unpopular with broad swathes of the American people. All the clever spin and revisionism in the world can't gloss over what a self-imposed disaster this was for these two groups.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
oops

Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Last night I was channel surfing and landed on Hannity. Coulter was on. Hannity said "We need MORE Ted Cruzes." With a straight face. Coulter agreed. I feel like they're trolling their own party at this point.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
while cruz has some points that I agree with, I think he's doing his party a great disservice with some of his recent BS
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
while cruz has some points that I agree with, I think he's doing his party a great disservice with some of his recent BS
he's received a hero's welcome in Texas
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3

Rhumb, when all is said and done, the American people will historically point their finger at Obama for this mess. Come on, you know this. Look at the legacy of Bush...

Everyone forgets that Congress plays a role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
The Shutdown Aftermath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

Truth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:

Rhumb, when all is said and done, the American people will historically point their finger at Obama for this mess. Come on, you know this. Look at the legacy of Bush...

In 30 days everyone will have forgotten about the shutdown and be worried about Black Friday or the latest news about the Kardashians.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Rhumb

Quote:

Well, if the 1995 shutdowns are any guide to the course of history, I wouldn't be so sanguine about that. In both that case and the Bush II lagacy, the American people have been quite astute about assigning the blame to where it belongs, despite desperate GOP attempts at revisionist history to the contrary.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Rhumb

And another damning poll ("Skewed," I'm sure ;-)

Quote:
CNN Poll: GOP & tea party unfavorables at all-time highs
According to a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday, 64% of Americans say they have an unfavorable view of the GOP, an all-time high dating back to 1992 when CNN first asked the question. Only three in 10 say they hold a favorable view of the party.

Fifty-six percent say they have an unfavorable view of the tea party movement, another record high in CNN polling. Only 28% say they see the 4-year-old grassroots conservative movement in a positive light.

The Democratic Party's 43%-51% favorable/unfavorable ratings are basically unchanged from late last month, just before the start of the shutdown.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
the hack is strong with Rhumb

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Rhumb

Please do dispute those points of mine you may feel to be in error or inaccurate. Are you asserting these polls are somehow inaccurate, even "skewed?" Or just my reading/interpretation of them?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:

everyone still looks at congress for the '95-'96 shutdown. At least the people who remember it.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I find the historical correlation interesting. Democrats passed a law (Obamacare) and the republicans are thugs or whatever word-du-jour you'd like to describe them because they are fighting tooth and nail to destroy a law that will harm the country and people. Everyone has their panties in a twist. However, when the republicans were fighting to pass the 13th amendment, and the democrats were fighting to keep slavery, the republicans are heroes.

Quote:
On this day in 1865, the U.S. House of Representatives passes the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, abolishing slavery in America. The amendment read, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude...shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

When the Civil War began, President Abraham Lincoln's professed goal was the restoration of the Union. But early in the war, the Union began keeping escaped slaves rather than returning them to their owners, so slavery essentially ended wherever the Union army was victorious. In September 1862, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing all slaves in areas that were still in rebellion against the Union. This measure opened the issue of what to do about slavery in border states that had not seceded or in areas that had been captured by the Union before the proclamation.

In 1864, an amendment abolishing slavery passed the U.S. Senate but died in the House as Democrats rallied in the name of states' rights. The election of 1864 brought Lincoln back to the White House along with significant Republican majorities in both houses, so it appeared the amendment was headed for passage when the new Congress convened in March 1865. Lincoln preferred that the amendment receive bipartisan support--some Democrats indicated support for the measure, but many still resisted. The amendment passed 119 to 56, seven votes above the necessary two-thirds majority. Several Democrats abstained, but the 13th Amendment was sent to the states for ratification, which came in December 1865. With the passage of the amendment, the institution that had indelibly shaped American history was eradicated.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I find the historical correlation interesting. Democrats passed a law (Obamacare) and the republicans are thugs or whatever word-du-jour you'd like to describe them because they are fighting tooth and nail to destroy a law that will harm the country and people. Everyone has their panties in a twist. However, when the republicans were fighting to pass the 13th amendment, and the democrats were fighting to keep slavery, the republicans are heroes.
So you're saying that the Democrats now are the Republicans of old who were trying to abolish slavery and today's Republicans are the Democrats who used to battle for the status quo?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
So you're saying that the Democrats now are the Republicans of old who were trying to abolish slavery and today's Republicans are the Democrats who used to battle for the status quo?
No. What Im saying is for some reason, people today think it was noble for republicans to fight tooth and nail for whats right (back then it was abolishing slavery) but the very same people think its WRONG for republicans to fight tooth and nail to destroy a bad law that will cripple the nation.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
No. What Im saying is for some reason, people today think it was noble for republicans to fight tooth and nail for whats right (back then it was abolishing slavery) but the very same people think its WRONG for republicans to fight tooth and nail to destroy a bad law that will cripple the nation.
Well in about 200 years the world can look back and determine if today's Repubs are on the right side of history.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
it was a hard sell for a lot of people that slavery was wrong, and should be abolished. But they had a large portion of the country behind them, as well as historical international precedent.

Abolishing the ACA is a really hard sell. If they want to get it removed, they need to sell to the people their vision of why it's so terrible. So far, they have failed miserably at doing that. There is a large chunk of people who support it, the president whose name is on the bill is still in office, and the Senate is opposed to doing away with it.

They have a serious uphill battle to fight, and haven't been able to provide much meaningful argument against it other than tying the democratic president's name to it in an effort to demonize the law.

They want it gone? They need to get the buy-in of the nation, not just their rabid followers.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Well in about 200 years the world can look back and determine if today's Repubs are on the right side of history.
Forget the labels of Democrat and Republican, since we know their positions have reversed and changed on many topics.

Conservative and progressive/liberal? How have they fared through history and who has been proven to be on the right side of history more often?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Thats not the point. The point is the fight itself. Is it noble to fight for what you (50% of the country and the GOP) believe in (or in this case, what you believe is wrong?) Its the core principle Im talking about, not the actual love/hate obamacare debate.