E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
lovemy330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci topaz blu
*pics* so my car sits higher in the rear after Koni/Eiback set up. any suggestions?

installed my new suspension over the summer, and everyones telling me the Rake look is really noticeable.. so what should i do?

get thinner rear spring pads?
remove the spring pads themselves?

any help will be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260580.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	531988   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260583.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	531989   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260582.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	531990   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260584.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	531991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260581.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	531992  

Last edited by lovemy330ci; 10-23-2013 at 06:07 PM.
lovemy330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
-fixture-

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
not to sound rude, but you did install the fronts in the front and rears in the rear? Other than that, I know Eibachs do sit a little higher in the rear, then H&R does.
-fixture- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
lovemy330ci

nope, im an apprentice at a bmw indy, it was done correctly.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
so my car sits higher in the rear after Koni/Eiback set up. any suggestions?

Pics?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
lovemy330ci

will take one tommorow, its too dark in nyc to take a pic at the moment.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
I doubt the rear sits higher than it did before(as in it probably isn't a higher height from the ground when compared to stock springs), but yes, your car probably has more rake than it did before. Basically your car has a natural rake (illusion) from factory, but since the lowering springs drop the front more than the rear... you are left with a more noticeable angle from front to back. Both options you listed will help your situation. Thinner pads will help a little with the "raked" look while the complete removal of the pads will help the most, but you will most likely experience loud noises from the metal on metal contact from the rear springs and their perches.

Last edited by Teddy7; 10-22-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Re: so my car sits higher in the rear after Koni/Eiback set up. any suggestions?

Yeah, I went from stock to koni yellow sports and H&R springs, same thing, front lowered and the rear raised. That's actually what I was assuming to happen so it wasn't a big deal.

I was actually looking to get the rake back and I'm glad I did, it handles just like it's supposed to when it comes to squat and dive.

Green

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
greenskycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskycity View Post
Yeah, I went from stock to koni yellow sports and H&R springs, same thing, front lowered and the rear raised. That's actually what I was assuming to happen so it wasn't a big deal.

I was actually looking to get the rake back and I'm glad I did, it handles just like it's supposed to when it comes to squat and dive.

Green

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, your rear did not "raise." For example, (I'm using extreme number changes) say stock front height equals 200mm and rear height equals 200mm. When you install lowering springs, most companies will drop the front more than the rear. So, maybe the new front height is 120mm and the new rear height is 180mm. Your rear will be "taller" than the front, but you haven't gained any height. Your overall car height was actually reduced, just biased more towards the front. They are called "lowering" springs for a reason, not "heightening" springs.

Last edited by Teddy7; 10-22-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Re: so my car sits higher in the rear after Koni/Eiback set up. any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy7 View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, your rear did not "raise." For example, say stock front height equals 50mm and rear equals 50mm. When you install lowering springs, most companies will drop the front more than the rear. So, maybe the new front will be 40mm and the rear will be 45mm. Your rear will be taller than the front, but you haven't gained any height. Your overall car height was reduced, just biased more towards the front. They are called "lowering" springs, not "heightening" springs.
Teddy,
You're probably right. I did measure from the top of the fender to the center of the wheel hub before and after the install and it did go from 12.25" before the install to it's current height of 13.5". I'm sure I did something wrong when measuring because like you said, there's no way that the rear was raised, probably just an optical illusion between the gap over the back wheel getting larger and the way I was looking at the tape measure.

Thanks for clearing up my misconception of my car.

Green

greenskycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskycity View Post
Teddy,
You're probably right. I did measure from the top of the fender to the center of the wheel hub before and after the install and it did go from 12.25" before the install to it's current height of 13.5". I'm sure I did something wrong when measuring because like you said, there's no way that the rear was raised, probably just an optical illusion between the gap over the back wheel getting larger and the way I was looking at the tape measure.

Thanks for clearing up my misconception of my car.

Green

My bad man. Didn't mean to come off that way. Just never thought the lowering springs raised the car. I'm glad you measured though so we aren't stuck arguing over subjective stuff. This way I can admit that I'm wrong. Sorry dude.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
What eibach springs did you get? My sportlines have a slight rake, but thinner pads do help. My rears have almost no gap.
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
lovemy330ci

eibach pro kit, said equal drop 1.4 inches on each side, i am not seeing this, how hard is it to remove rear spring pads
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy330ci View Post
eibach pro kit, said equal drop 1.4 inches on each side, i am not seeing this, how hard is it to remove rear spring pads
From what I heard the pro-kit barely drops it at all compared to stock sports suspension. My sportlines had a minimal drop in the rear. Maybe someone with the pro-kit can chime in!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #14
lovemy330ci

well in the front its a very noticeable drop, the rear looks almost stock, which is bothersome, i thought it would be an equal drop all around as advertised
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
ahhh the rake look aka general lee stance... hate it
Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
lovemy330ci

yeah true. now i have pics to show yous what i mean,
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
yeah true. now i have pics to show yous what i mean,
Hmm thats a pretty significant rake... other pro-kits that I have seen didn't have that much rake. Positive no installation error?

Here is my car with sportlines. You can still see the slight rake... but not as significant.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
lovemy330ci

your car looks perfect.im just gonna take out the pads, and see how it is, if its too squeeky without them i wil get zhp 5mm pads, if your car is a ZHP then it had the thin spring pads, and your sport lines are a lower drop than the pro kit
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
your car looks perfect.im just gonna take out the pads, and see how it is, if its too squeeky without them i wil get zhp 5mm pads, if your car is a ZHP then it had the thin spring pads, and your sport lines are a lower drop than the pro kit
I do not have a ZHP, but I already had 5mm pads. What I recommend doing is getting some rubber hosing, and covering the bottom coils with that. In that way you won't have any noise. I'm not sure how much lower it will make it... but try it out! Good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
lovemy330ci

thats a pretty great idea i must admit! will check in when it is done, how hard is it to get the pads out and the springs so i can put the rubber hosing