E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Bino5150

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bboosted View Post
Really? When I was looking at it it was 400 for build your own and not even the MS xtra
I guess it depends on what extras you need for your particular application. None of the kits we used went in the $400 range, but like I said, that was a almost a decade ago (hell, I remember when MS2 first hit the scene lol)... and we used it to control just about everything... fuel, ignition, VRIS (which would be our DISA), VVT (vanos), launch control, staged nitrous, boost controller, electric fans, removed the MAF, switch from distributor to coil on plug, wide band O2's, etc, etc...

It seemed there was no limit to what it could do. Once people got it up and running, there was almost always power increase and better fuel efficiency. The boys who spent thousands on their plug and play stand alones always scoffed at it and talk smack, but in the end, they couldn't do what it could.

I thought for sure by now MS would be at the top of the food chain for engine management. I guess it's been a slow boogie.
Bino5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
It takes a very concerted effort to make the driveability comparable to the stock setup. Even with the MS3 and *a lot* of time with an experienced tuner the behavior just off idle isn't 100% sorted in my car. Granted, it overall drives a ton better simply because of the elimination of the electronic throttle, but it's not as polished as OEM.

To make this work you really need an in-depth understanding of how all the stock BMW systems work if you want to go to Megasquirt. For instance the e-fan is a PWM signal. Do you know what frequency of operation makes that fan happy? The BMW E46 training manual does, and your oscilloscope will tell you, but if you don't have either of those things you'll spend a lot of time on trial and error.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 10-30-2013 at 01:28 PM.
SoloII///M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
Bino5150

Yeah, that's the thing about MS; it was all trial and error. There were a few guru's of the platforms that were pioneering the way, but it's different for each platform. Hopefully someone will unlock the magic with the E46.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
If you search around there is a member who has done the ms3 on his turbo car. He had a build thread and like mazdero was saying had the ms3 and dme running in parallel. It's a ton of work, and from the homework I've done (and advice I've received) you're on the right path trying to get the engine management sorted before dropping in a boosted engine. Search around and you'll find the thread.

Also on a side note for the guys running the ms3 only cars with no dme, is there anyone who's got a working stereo? I know you loose a/c, and traction control etc, but for something that will be a daily driver, does losing the dme affect your audio setup as well?

Last edited by autospeed_01; 10-30-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: had to word question better
autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
SoloII///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino5150 View Post
Yeah, that's the thing about MS; it was all trial and error. There were a few guru's of the platforms that were pioneering the way, but it's different for each platform. Hopefully someone will unlock the magic with the E46.
Well, it doesn't have to be trial and error is what I'm saying. The E46 training manual is out there (my tuner has a copy) and it goes into detail about every system on the car.

MS definitely unlocked the magic in my car but it was a lot of work to get there.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
Bino5150

Yeah, well granted the Mazdas and Nissans were a bit easier to tune, but once a few people got the basics worked out, good "base tunes" began floating around that really expedited the process. And then came the US/JDM (our US/euro) tables, which were and easy swap once the basics fundamentals of the car were under control. You could just go dl, for instance, a factory ZHP/euro tune that would start your car and retain functionality of all the DME controlled electronics. From there all you had to really worry about was the actual "tune" (fuel mapping & ignition tables), or tweaking things like if what RPM your VRIS (DISA) opened, or the crossover point of the VVT (VANOS). All the extra features (launch control, boost control, staged nitrous, etc.) were application specific. But if you were good with the wiring, you could have your car up and running just as good, if not better than stock, in a weekend.

Probably just as helpful as the E46 training manual, if not more so, would be a good functional MegaTune .msq file from a tuned, running E46... Even if the mapping is bone stock.

I know some MS geniuses who pioneered this since version 1 came out. If they put their heads together with a knowledgeable BMW tuner, I think magic would happen.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
SoloII///M

Megasquirt on e46 325ci? or any cheap standalone/piggyback?

What I'm saying is that we are there already. :-).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
Bino5150

Can you send me an .msq file to look at?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
SoloII///M

Send me your e-mail address: johnvitamvas at gmail

And yes, we were up and running in less than a weekend. Started at noon on Saturday with a well-running car with an Epic Motorsports tune, finished up Sunday afternoon with the same car running E85. Plug and play

I can't take any of the credit - all the credit goes to Peter at PFtuning. I would recommend anyone looking down the megasquirt route to not waste time figuring it out on their own - just go to peter and he'll set you up.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 11-01-2013 at 01:51 PM.
SoloII///M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
Bino5150

That's awesome. So Solo, you didn't lose any function, correct?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
SoloII///M

Megasquirt on e46 325ci? or any cheap standalone/piggyback?

No. But the car doesn't have A/c or a radio. But VANOS works, fan works, gauges work...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app