E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
That would be your e-brake, sir
Not if it's only when he takes turns.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
That would be your e-brake, sir
you probably should stop giving advice

every single post that comes from your account needs correction

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Koyo makes the factory e39 bearings. I wish I could get koyo bearings for my m3, I really wouldn't be surprised if they were superior
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
Mr.Philadelphia

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
I think you typed F.A.G. without using periods between the letters. Censored!
Yes, shame on me.
Mr.Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
I got the Koyo's

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
Mr.Philadelphia

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Koyo makes the factory e39 bearings. I wish I could get koyo bearings for my m3, I really wouldn't be surprised if they were superior
You can use the Koyo assemblies for your front end. The M3 assemblies by F.A.G. have three centering pins on the hub flange that make wheel changes a bit easier, but they're not essential.
Mr.Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
WDE46

Just for anyone's future reference, I used a 36 mm socket to press against the inner race and then smacked the bearings on with a 2.5 lb engineer's hammer.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Re: Timken Front Wheel Bearing/Hub from Autozone

Hmmm, ok, I'm going to YouTube it. So much to do.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1383344531663.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	533039  

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
ssl-3

My Ride: E36 325i
Talking Works for me.

In shopping for wheel bearings for my E36, I happened upon this thread.

Wow! Timken. About $80, shipped, for two Koyo hub assemblies delivered FedEx from autozone.com. (The local Autozones do not normally stock BMW parts. It is very sad. I had to buy a Fram oil filter to get the price over $100 to save 20%, and I hate Fram, but they don't make these filters themselves either.)

Thank you, Internet!

Regarding the black marks on F.A.G. vs. Koyo: I agree that it looks like induction heating. The Koyo hubs I received (well-packed, I must add) in Timken boxes have much more black visible than that pictured on the first post in this thread. (I'll reply with pictures if requested.)

I'd like to submit that the reason why the F.A.G. hub has so much black, and the Koyo has so little, is as follows:

F.A.G. does their final machining before the hub is heated and the bearing is inserted, and so much of it remains black.

Koyo does their final machining after the hub is heated and the bearing is inserted, and so much of it remains plain: Most of the black has simply been machined off.

6 in one, half-dozen in the other. *shrug*

Which one is better, long-term: F.A.G. or Koyo?

I frankly don't care: These were only $10 more per side than the cheapest Chinese bearings I could find (all of which were very ugly, saving "excess" steel at every step on this critical part, with dimples behind the wheel flange and other nonsense that, while perhaps good for unsprung weight, cannot possibly be good for reliability), and as stated elsewhere, there isn't a single thing wrong with either F.A.G. or Koyo (or Timken in general: whatever they sell is always likely to be quite good, and they did invent the tapered roller bearing...).

So thanks again, Internet! You've earned your monthly fee yet again. Actually, I think you've earned your fee for at least a few months. Good job, Internet!

(Another Autozone secret: Duralast belts are all made by Dayco. And Dayco belts are generally regarded to not suck. Since some/most/all of our cars have two belts, buying generic and getting good name-brand quality makes for twice the beer in savings over most other cars. )

Last edited by ssl-3; 11-11-2013 at 11:47 PM.
ssl-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
ssl-3

My Ride: E36 325i
Oh, and for folks talking about the ABS sensor ring being cast or machined (it might have been in another thread, maybe even on another forum): On these Timken-branded Koyo bearings, it is a separate part, stamped from sheet metal, and pressed onto the end of the hub. It is therefore neither cast, nor machined.

Looks fine to me, though, and perfectly adequate to modulate the Hall Effect sensor that is the ABS wheel-speed dongle for many years to come. (Esp. with the two dust shields, and the tight-fitting wheel-speed sensor: Not much can happen to it in there, especially with frequent bouts of heat to drive out any water that might occur.)

Again, pics upon request. (I don't like taking photos that nobody ever looks at.)

(Oh, and dust shields. I ordered one of each for each side, and a new "castle nut" (that isn't a castle nut at all, because it does not resemble a rook). Also ordered a new brake dust shield for the one that I butchered after it got deformed once when removing a wheel and noisily rubbed the rotor. Do the rest of you tend to replace these parts, or keep them? Mine are 18 years old, so I thought it best to replace them.)
ssl-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I first heard of the Timkens as a viable option back in 2010 with this thread, but back then they were about a hundred bucks a piece. They were a good deal then, but they're a ridiculous deal now. When did it go down btw? I wanted to go OE but I figure there was nothing wrong with F.A.G. (which is what I got in this bearing lottery) and an extra 300 bucks in my pocket.

Thanks again to the board for the tip.

Untitled

And got me some extra gloves with the change. Nothing wrong with my old ones.

Untitled

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl-3 View Post
Oh, and for folks talking about the ABS sensor ring being cast or machined (it might have been in another thread, maybe even on another forum): On these Timken-branded Koyo bearings, it is a separate part, stamped from sheet metal, and pressed onto the end of the hub. It is therefore neither cast, nor machined.

Looks fine to me, though, and perfectly adequate to modulate the Hall Effect sensor that is the ABS wheel-speed dongle for many years to come. (Esp. with the two dust shields, and the tight-fitting wheel-speed sensor: Not much can happen to it in there, especially with frequent bouts of heat to drive out any water that might occur.)

Again, pics upon request. (I don't like taking photos that nobody ever looks at.)

(Oh, and dust shields. I ordered one of each for each side, and a new "castle nut" (that isn't a castle nut at all, because it does not resemble a rook). Also ordered a new brake dust shield for the one that I butchered after it got deformed once when removing a wheel and noisily rubbed the rotor. Do the rest of you tend to replace these parts, or keep them? Mine are 18 years old, so I thought it best to replace them.)

The ABS sensor target strip is a stamped piece on the OE F.A.G. Hubs. These were never machined. That would be absurdly expensive. I found that the F.A.G. I got matched EXACTLY with the parts I removed from my car.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
So this is what you guys are buying right?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=386476
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
So this is what you guys are buying right?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=386476
yes

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #35
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
AutoZone??? These aren't hondas people.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #36
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
I got those same bearings for my m. Yes they were koyo bearings in a timken box. Only have 2 tabs on them, as opposed to 3 on the f a g bearings. The koyos r for e46 non m's. I had some wheel shake after about 2k miles. Took off the tire and noticed that the hub wasnt centered anymore. Almost as if that third tab was needed to keep things centered on the m. I returned them and bought some skf's from pepboys. Opened the box, f a g bearungs inside. Dont cheap out on your wheel bearings. Go with skf or f a g if u have an m.
Oh and btw, autozone has remanufactured m front brake calipers for 65 bucks each. If u look at the pics on their website, u can see the ///m on them

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #37
Cayne23

Oops, not " the hub wasnt centered anymore" the brake disc wasnt centered anymore on the hub

Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
WDE46

What tabs are you talking about?

I have over 10,000 miles on my F.A.G. and Koyo bearings. Both are fine.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
Cayne23

The 3 tabs on the outside of the hub that the rotor sits against. Non m's have 2, m's have 3