E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

It’s pretty cheap and easy to upgrade the Bluetooth microphone for the Eonon D5150 by installing an external microphone, for those of you with Bluetooth call quality issues. This mod adds a 2.5mm (or 3.5mm) female audio jack to the back of the Eonon unit and wires directly to the internal mic location after removing it. Any passive external microphone can then be plugged into this port.

Here’s what you’ll need for this mod:

External Microphone (I used this $13 2.5mm jack Blaupunkt mic -- any comparable passive mic will likely work, just make sure it has enough cable length to route to your desired location. You can search for “bluetooth car microphone” on Amazon to find other similar options. I like this particular mic’s form factor and small size. Active microphones with power requirements would take additional wiring to get them to work properly so be careful what you buy.)

Audio Extension Cable (~18”, 2.5mm female end -- or 3.5mm depending on the mic you get.)

Small Phillips & Flat Screwdrivers (hobby size small)

Small Solder Iron and Solder (hobby size small)

Small Needle Nose Pliers (hobby size small)

Wire Strippers/Cutters (hobby size small)

Desolder Braid or Tool (helpful but not required)

Hot Glue Gun (optional)

1) As much as I like voiding warranties, I know that many people do not; so for this mod there is no need to remove the back panel, breaking the warranty sticker. There are no permanent modifications in this project that cannot be restored to factory conditions (as long as you don't melt anything with poor soldering techniques that is!)

2) Start by removing the 4 phillips screws holding the faceplace on:

3) Locate the PCB with the attached internal microphone:

4) Disconnect the ribbon cables by loosening the black tabs from the white connectors with a flat screwdriver:

5) Remove the volume knob. It pulls off easily:

6) Remove the microphone PCB with a small phillips screwdriver to reveal the culprit. There are four screws:

7) Here you can see the port the microphone fits into and how much smaller the external hole is relative to the mic. This is likely why some people have been successful at getting better reception by drilling this hole larger.

8) Remove the culprit microphone by first absorbing the solder with a desolder braid or desolder tool. Then continue heating the mic pins with your iron while pulling the mic out with needle nose pliers:

9) Chop the end off your 2.5mm extension cable (or 3.5mm cable if you are using a 3.5mm mic), leaving the female end plus ~18" of cable. Polarity doesn't matter a whole lot for this application, but if you are a stickler for that I've labeled everything:

10) Thread the cut part of the extension cable through the empty opening in the back of the Eonon unit next to the GPS antenna, then out the front and over to the microphone PCB:

11) The white cable is for a stereo plug, but the Eonon unit and Blaupunkt mic are both mono so you can chop this off. You'll want to trim the wires to your desired length and strip the insulation off. I like to keep everything short and tight:

12) Verify the polarity (again this doesn't really matter if you get it wrong for this particular application, but it's easy to do it right). Adding a bit of solder to the tips of your wires will make soldering a lot easier if both connections have solder on them prior to connection attempts:

13) Solder it in place:

14) OPTIONAL - I like to add some hot glue to the connection to insulate it and give it support. Hot glue is nice because it's cheap, easy to work with, and completely removable.

15) Reassemble everything the same way you took it apart. (Note: reattaching the ribbon cables to the mic PCB was a little easier before screwing it into place than it was afterwards.)

NOTE: It is possible to solder on an external mic WITHOUT removing the internal mic, but the call quality is not as good.

Call Quality:
Internal Mic only = Muffled + Static
Internal + External Mic = Clear + Static
External Mic only = Clear + No Static

There are many variables to consider with bluetooth call quality and the Eonon unit is only one of them. Your specific phone may also have poor bluetooth reception which will affect the final quality, even if you purchase an amazing external mic. My Nokia phone's internal mic and speakerphone still sound better than bluetooth with the external mic. It is possible that a much higher quality (and more expensive) external mic would sound a lot better than the $13 one that I purchased. Keep in mind that no small passive microphone will ever sound as good from 2 feet away as it does from 3 inches away (which is where you normally hold your phone).

I am happy with the quality boost from this mod and the microphone that I chose. It's not theater quality audio, but it is very clear and usable for a phone conversation. Definitely a big jump up from the internal mic.
Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
chaos11624

My Ride: e46 M3
Nice tutorial , thank you for posting this
chaos11624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
wicked_ink

My Ride: 2002 325i
I will definitely give this a shot once I get my D5150. Thank you very much for the awesome tutorial!

-Mike
wicked_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

Very nice write up. I'm glad the mic is on a small removable PCB. That makes it much easier to work with. Well done, where did you end up placing the microphone out of curiosity?

Similar work could be done to the USB for those concerned with the lack of a rear usb.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
lovemy330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci topaz blu
is this better than the dynavin
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Parrott DIY may be of interest to some reading this.

Last edited by MacFady; 10-24-2013 at 08:13 AM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
DrZoom

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Great DIY!

I am still toying with trying a different internal Microphone element but this is a great solution for an external.
DrZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Excellent DIY! I will add a link in my 5150 install thread.

After looking at the photos I might try removing the face plate and drilling the Mic hole larger. My BT seems to work pretty good if I have the windows up and speak fairly loud.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

After looking at the photos I might try removing the face plate and drilling the Mic hole larger. My BT seems to work pretty good if I have the windows up and speak fairly loud.
I drilled mine out without removing the faceplate. The internal mic sits 1/2" back from the faceplate. That is probably the reason people sound like they are in a tunnel. The internal mic is in a mini tunnel.

KingArthurs mod looks likes an easy solution for the EONON guys to do in future models. sort of like the CAN2 bus.

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Very nice write up. I'm glad the mic is on a small removable PCB. That makes it much easier to work with. Well done, where did you end up placing the microphone out of curiosity?

Similar work could be done to the USB for those concerned with the lack of a rear usb.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Haven't actually placed it yet wanted to test different locations first. From what I've researched it seems that the stock BMW bluetooth location is probably the best (in the center headliner next to the overhead reading lamps).
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy330ci View Post
is this better than the dynavin
No but it's less than half the price.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
Parrott DIY may be of interest to some reading this.
Nice! Thanks for the link
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro_the_Pilot View Post
I drilled mine out without removing the faceplate. The internal mic sits 1/2" back from the faceplate. That is probably the reason people sound like they are in a tunnel. The internal mic is in a mini tunnel.

KingArthurs mod looks likes an easy solution for the EONON guys to do in future models. sort of like the CAN2 bus.
I think adding this functionality would be a great feature but they would need to implement additional circuitry to support both an internal and external microphone with software updates that support switching between the two. One or the other is easy, but supporting both internal and external can get complicated.

I suppose they could just ship it with an external mic only and remove the internal mic altogether. Another option.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

Sweet. Let us know if the larger opening helps.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
You're the man!!
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Very nice. Thanks for the work and DIY.
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Excellent DIY! Not to complicated, thankfully...but someone had to be THE FIRST! And you were! Thank you!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Thekingarthur

No problem guys. Thanks for all the compliments. It really wasn't very difficult though, even figuring it out for the first time. Should be super easy with this guide.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post
Sweet. Let us know if the larger opening helps.
Will do...
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #20
EononCarDVD
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post
I think adding this functionality would be a great feature but they would need to implement additional circuitry to support both an internal and external microphone with software updates that support switching between the two. One or the other is easy, but supporting both internal and external can get complicated.

I suppose they could just ship it with an external mic only and remove the internal mic altogether. Another option.

Hi Thekingarthur, thanks a lot for sharing with us your detailed DIY tutorial! It's very useful and professional! I am sure it will benefit millions of guys!

And thanks for your nice suggestion and it is so great to hear the voice from you guys. I will reflect it to R&D, and Eonon will definitely make the external MIC available in the near future!

Tags
bluetooth, d5150, eonon, mic, microphone