E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #21
EononCarDVD
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E46
Since the DIY requires open the head unit, which may cause malfunction. As the manufacturers, we have the responsibility to reminder you guys the warranty and after sale issues.
If you decided to DIY the external MIC, here are some tips for your reference :

1. Please take care and avoid damaging the LCD screen when you open the unit.
2. Please use tape to protect the ribbon cable after DIY, which can save the troubles of loosing connection in the future.
3. Antistatic is very important. Please DIY on the Anti static operation table if it is possible or please wash hands before DIY at least.

Hope it will help!

Welcome to check our GM5150 Opel Car GPS with Unique Screen Mirroring feature & D5150!

8 Rounds of Group Buy has been arranged till now! PM me anytime if you'd like to join and save!

Check the awesome Reviews & Installation Guide from our fan here here!

Last edited by EononCarDVD; 10-25-2013 at 06:33 AM.
EononCarDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #22
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi
Re: DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post
I think adding this functionality would be a great feature but they would need to implement additional circuitry to support both an internal and external microphone with software updates that support switching between the two. One or the other is easy, but supporting both internal and external can get complicated.

I suppose they could just ship it with an external mic only and remove the internal mic altogether. Another option.
I don't think it would be that hard. There are 3.5mm jacks that physically disconnect the ground on one side when a plug is inserted. Add a surface jack to the back of the unit and a 3 conductor ribbon to it.. Done. No need for a smart switching circuit.
LD330XI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
Now the question is do you think it's possible to implement this with a OEM mic in the oem make spot on the roof? Does the wires for the mic lead back to the radio? ?

Can someone answer my question...why not use the oem BMW mic ?

Last edited by cyberlando; 10-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
Hi Thekingarthur, thanks a lot for sharing with us your detailed DIY tutorial! It's very useful and professional! I am sure it will benefit millions of guys!

And thanks for your nice suggestion and it is so great to hear the voice from you guys. I will reflect it to R&D, and Eonon will definitely make the external MIC available in the near future!
Awesome thanks!
Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
cyberlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
Now the question is do you think it's possible to implement this with a OEM mic in the oem make spot on the roof? Does the wires for the mic lead back to the radio? ?

Anyone ?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
thanks!
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
cyberlando

Quote:

???

You guys post all around my post but no answer....?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi

Quote:
???

Holy antsy.

No, it will not work. But you can take the grill off and mount a mic behind it.
LD330XI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
cyberlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD330XI View Post
Holy antsy.

No, it will not work. But you can take the grill off and mount a mic behind it.
Why not? It's a mic like any other....?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
cyberlando

I don't see why my question is so far off why would you want to run a mic if you can just buy a oem one with wires already ran??? It makes life so much easier
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI

I removed the grill for the mic and there is nothing there. But if yours has wires go for it and let us know how it works out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
cyberlando

Ill report back then!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #33
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Quote:
???

Probably cut no one is for sure about the answer. But I'll give you my experience. I used an aftermarket mic with a previous Bluetooth unit. I put the mic in the stock BMW location and had many complaints about sound quality. So I pulled the mic to the outside of the same location and it was much better. Again this was a aftermarket mic. So the BMW one might be ok. Sorry I can't answer your other questions as I have no idea.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #34
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Ok so I tried this mod today with no success. Removed the internal mic and soldered in the female input. I checked the coninuity and everything was fine. Called my dad and he couldn't hear a thing. Don't know if it's my mic. It is from a Parrot Bluetooth kit that I had in before the Eonon and it always worked fine. Only thing I can think is maybe somehow it got damaged during my install of the 5150. Gonna try a different mic. Anyone know if Fry's sells these types of mics? Don't feel like waiting for it in the mail. Or any other store?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #35
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP

I noticed in your photo that the Mic is flush with the board and my Mic is 1/2" off my board.
I also drilled my Mic hole out larger to 11/64. It's approx 3 times larger than before. Tested it out and it does make a noticeable difference.

You can see in this photo how close it is to the face plate.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 10-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #36
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
]...I noticed in your photo that the Mic is flush with the board and my Mic is 1/2" off my board.
I also drilled my Mic hole out larger to 11/64. It's approx 3 times larger than before. Tested it out and it does make a noticeable difference....
Hehe, told ya, and again. Good to know it works much better. Basically there are now two options - external mic or bigger hole. Wolf, your last pic shows that with this "mic-flush-with-the-faceplate" your mod looks VERY good.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 10-28-2013 at 02:32 AM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Hehe, told ya, and again. Good to know it works much better. Basically there are now two options - external mic or bigger hole. Wolf, your last pic shows that with this "mic-flush-with-the-faceplate" your mod looks VERY good.
I was suprised to see the difference in the distance of my Mic compared to the OP's. After drilling out the Mic hole and fitting the faceplate back on you can see it's almost flush, maybe 1/16" away. It works really good now.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
I was suprised to see the difference in the distance of my Mic compared to the OP's. After drilling out the Mic hole and fitting the faceplate back on you can see it's almost flush, maybe 1/16" away. It works really good now.
Thanks for the update! Good to know that it works better with a larger hole.

Good thing you didn't drill the hole larger without first removing the PCB, since yours sits much closer to the faceplate!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
Thekingarthur

Quote:
I don't see why my question is so far off why would you want to run a mic if you can just buy a oem one with wires already ran??? It makes life so much easier
Patience grasshopper, been super busy this weekend.

I see a few potential problems with this route:

1) You must already have the factory bluetooth upgrade option installed in your car for this to even be possible. Many people do not.

2) This would require you to locate the wiring and CUT it. This is something most people don't want to do with their BMWs. Splicing into the wiring and not severing it completely would probably work, but could introduce noise into the circuit (you don't know what the other end connects to). BMW's factory installed bluetooth mic is most certainly not going to have a 3.5mm connector on one end. Or any other type of connector that you can easily purchase and plug into.

3) The factory mic may or may not be a passive microphone. Given that this is a BMW we are talking about, my guess would be that the factory mic is a powered noise canceling microphone. I could be wrong of course.

Given the above, it seemed far easier to me to just purchase a $13 disposable mic from Amazon and install it two days later. It was pretty damn easy. I don't think there's really a need to make this process any easier, and I don't think that wiring into BMW's mic (if you have it) would achieve this goal anyway.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD330XI View Post
I don't think it would be that hard. There are 3.5mm jacks that physically disconnect the ground on one side when a plug is inserted. Add a surface jack to the back of the unit and a 3 conductor ribbon to it.. Done. No need for a smart switching circuit.
Ooo I didn't know that. That's fantastic!

Tags
bluetooth, d5150, eonon, mic, microphone