E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi
Re: DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post

3) The factory mic may or may not be a passive microphone. Given that this is a BMW we are talking about, my guess would be that the factory mic is a powered noise canceling microphone. I could be wrong of course.
I can confirm there is no way that the factory mic is passive. There are 3 wires going to it, and quite a packed little circuit board in there. Definitely not worth the trouble to try and use it.
LD330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #42
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD330XI View Post
I can confirm there is no way that the factory mic is passive. There are 3 wires going to it, and quite a packed little circuit board in there. Definitely not worth the trouble to try and use it.
Thanks LD330XI.

To use the factory mic, you probably would need to stick with factory radio or nav units. You could always stuff an aftermarket mic into the factory location, but as Linx said, you get worse quality.
Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #43
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Ok so I tried this mod today with no success. Removed the internal mic and soldered in the female input. I checked the coninuity and everything was fine. Called my dad and he couldn't hear a thing. Don't know if it's my mic. It is from a Parrot Bluetooth kit that I had in before the Eonon and it always worked fine. Only thing I can think is maybe somehow it got damaged during my install of the 5150. Gonna try a different mic. Anyone know if Fry's sells these types of mics? Don't feel like waiting for it in the mail. Or any other store?
Linx it could be your microphone. The bluetooth "kits" look like they are usually powered. You could try Car Toys, Quality Auto Sound, or other local car audio shop (That's what we have here in Colorado). They might carry something like that. Best Buy would be another possible option. Fry's or Microcenter might as well. Just look on their websites first.

Last edited by Thekingarthur; 10-28-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #44
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Thanks for the update! Good to know that it works better with a larger hole.

Good thing you didn't drill the hole larger without first removing the PCB, since yours sits much closer to the faceplate!
Ya if I did it would be ruined for sure.

I made several calls today to people I have called before using the Bluetooth and they all verified the call quality is better.

Larger Mic hole...
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #45
wicked_ink

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

I made several calls today to people I have called before using the Bluetooth and they all verified the call quality is better.
That's good to hear! Will be drilling mine out bigger.
wicked_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #46
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_ink View Post
That's good to hear! Will be drilling mine out bigger.
I recommend doing this with the face plate off to avoid damaging the Mic. Mine was approx 1/16" away from the hole, KingArthurs was approx 1/2" away. To do this you will have to remove the unit from the dash.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
wicked_ink

Quote:
I recommend doing this with the face plate off to avoid damaging the Mic. Mine was approx 1/16" away from the hole, KingArthurs was approx 1/2" away. To do this you will have to remove the unit from the dash.
Yep, going to drill it out before installing unit. Mine was just delivered today.
wicked_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #48
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Yep, going to drill it out before installing unit. Mine was just delivered today.
Gotcha. Take a photo of the Mic on the PC board so we can compare. Unfortunately I didn't when mine was apart. I noticed the difference afterward when looking at Kingarthurs photos.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #49
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Ya if I did it would be ruined for sure.

Larger Mic hole...
Things I thought about what would I do when I get my unit.

Step - 1: Check if call quality is good. If it is - do nothing.
Option - 2: If I drill the hole and find out that it's not better (enough) then I would try....
Option - 3: external mic by King's DIY

THING TO NOTICE: in this case there would be a bigger hole gap with nothing inside. It is good not to dispose internal mic and just put it inside its hole (from the inside) and isolate it, or something, from the pcb. It has nice texture, very similar to faceplate's one (judging by Wolf's pic), everything would still look very good, but one would use external mic.

Obviously, you can directly go to option 3. It's easy for me since I already have external mic (passive, aftermarket) close to OEM location...I just have to find its cable to see where and how it is routed. lol I would just have to do some soldering, and taking off faceplate is part of both options. But some people just hate to mess with cable routing (myself included), so option 2 is better for them.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 10-29-2013 at 03:47 PM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #50
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI

If you do drill the hole and then go with the external mic option. Just glue a piece of black felt to the inside of the face plate. For a clean look. I am going to do that either way. I'll post a pic.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #51
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
What size bit are you guys using to do this ?
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Quote:
Linx it could be your microphone. The bluetooth "kits" look like they are usually powered. You could try Car Toys, Quality Auto Sound, or other local car audio shop (That's what we have here in Colorado). They might carry something like that. Best Buy would be another possible option. Fry's or Microcenter might as well. Just look on their websites first.
How can you tell if it's powered? It just has a regular mono 3.5 jack on it. I went to Frys the other day and was only able to find a Garmin mic. It's supposed to work with a select number of their portable navi units. This one has a 2.5 jack on it and I bought an adapter. Haven't had the chance to try it yet but I will this weekend. By the way, the mic I have in my car now is off a Parrott ck3100 (pretty sure that's the model letters). Are you familiar with that and do you know if that mic is powered?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
What size bit are you guys using to do this ?
I do believe the current hole is 3/32. I step drilled it up to 11/64, any bigger and it wouldn't look clean. Just take your time and go slow and straight. Be careful not to hit the screen!

3/32 to 11/64

Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #54
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfn8tr View Post
i do believe the current hole is 3/32. I step drilled it up to 11/64, any bigger and it wouldn't look clean. Just take your time and go slow and straight. Be careful not to hit the screen!

3/32 to 11/64

+1

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #55
zfrog

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
Eonon will definitely make the external MIC available in the near future!
Darn, bought mine too soon..
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
chaos11624

My Ride: e46 M3
Mine too though I gotta give it up to them for making the changes they have and continuing to do so
chaos11624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #57
wicked_ink

Got mine installed a couple days ago and fortunately my mic sounds good according to a few people I've talked to via Bluetooth. No modifications for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using BimmerApp
Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #58
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Got mine installed a couple days ago and fortunately my mic sounds good according to a few people I've talked to via Bluetooth. No modifications for me.
Perfect! Hoping to get the unit from the same batch as you ...if they ever send it to me.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #59
Andythefox

My Ride: 2006 325ci
I have to join wicked_ink in the loud and clear mic club. No issues for me either.
Andythefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #60
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andythefox View Post
I have to join wicked_ink in the loud and clear mic club. No issues for me either.
Great news guys! Glad to see that Eonon has already fixed the issue.

Tags
bluetooth, d5150, eonon, mic, microphone