E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
MK153

My Ride: '01 330ci TiAg
Question How to adjust steering weight?

I've been fighting some tramlining issues with my e46 for about 6 months. I've replaced all of the control arm and trailing arm bushings with powerflex, replaced the steering coupler and then had it professionally aligned to spec (minus the -1deg of camber I kept).

While it drives straight on flat road - the steering wheel flys all over the place on road crowns and bumps. So I test drove a e93 a few months back thinking I might upgrade - what I loved about it the most was how heavy the steering feels. My Cayenne also has that nice heavy steering. The e46 feels extremely over boosted in comparison - especially when getting it off-center.

I ran across this post: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-heavy-t55956/

But I can't really find more information about it - or where that nut is even.

Does anyone know more about this? I'd love to stiffen up the steering feel.

Thanks in advance.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
lovemy330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci topaz blu
you and me together, man i have an 01 cooupe and my mechanic told me there is play in the steering rack. not to mention our year model steering rack was the worst overboosted rack bmw put in a 330ci
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I know there was a change in the PS pump at some point in our model run. I have one of the first pumps (original, still) but I believe you might have one that has a superseded pump to correct the issue, so that might be one solution.

Another would be getting an underdrive pulley (a smaller pulley). Don't recall anything about a nut you can tighten...didn't check that link of yours (tl!).

...and it could be your control arms and/or bushings (latter is a very common issue explaining 'going all over the place).

hth...and a bump!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 10-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK153 View Post

I ran across this post: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-heavy-t55956/

Thanks in advance.
My e30 had e36 rack and I had to adjust the said nut to my liking.
This nut is located on the rack, just above where the the steering shaft crosses the rack. You need 17mm socket and fancy adjustable ratchet to turn it. Adjusting this nut will make the steering either loose or tight, but there is catch. If it is to tight, you steering rack will loose the ability to come back to centre after the turn. Too loose will introduce bump steer. If it is tooo lose your steering will lock (like gear teeth will over run each other).
Try playing with this, see if you like the results. Usually 0.25-0.75 of the full turn is enough to feel the difference.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
MK153

My Ride: '01 330ci TiAg
Awesome - so I just take off the skid plate - get under the steering coupler area - and look up to find this?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK153 View Post
Awesome - so I just take off the skid plate - get under the steering coupler area - and look up to find this?
Should be on the rack itself. have a flashlight with you.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
nl318

My Ride: 318i 2000
Re: How to adjust steering weight?

How are your tires? Enough thread left, and properly balanced?

After changing my coupler, struts and having an alignment my car still had a moving/loose steering wheel. After fitting new tires with roadforce balancing, it was as nice and tight as it should be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by nl318; 10-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
nl318 is offline   Reply With Quote