E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
M 235i - It's here! Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
looks like an audi
Was thinking the same thing. Audi A5

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #42
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: M 235i - It's here! Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Side profile isn't bad actually.

Front is fugly as hell. Swoopy doopy lines, ugly gray plastic, and ridiculous hood creases makes it look tall and bloated. Reminds me of a Nissan Juke.

That new 4 cyl is boring as hell too.
Have you actually driven it? You are one of only a few people I have ever seen speak negatively of it.

tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
well at least it's not as ugly as the 1 series.
my thoughts. i kinda like it. and the option for a LSD is big IMO.
however it's going to be hard choosing this over an sti
Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #44
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
my thoughts. i kinda like it. and the option for a LSD is big IMO.

I wouldn't think too many people would be cross shopping an STI with a M235i.....two totally different cars, in my opinion.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
tachi1247

Quote:
No different than choosing a 135 over an sti. BMW has never provided maximum performance for the dollar. That is what Japanese brands do best. BMW provides an exceptional chassis with best in class handling and luxury refinement. The target audience is quite different for the two cars.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I wouldn't think too many people would be cross shopping an STI with a M235i.....two totally different cars, in my opinion.
eh not really. similar quality. similar pricing. similar performance.
i mean i guess yeah they're different in that one is a sedan and is awd. but performance wise it should be similar.

eh anyway, i will have a hard time choosing between this and an sti. maybe no one else will. lol
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
No different than choosing a 135 over an sti. BMW has never provided maximum performance for the dollar. That is what Japanese brands do best. BMW provides an exceptional chassis with best in class handling and luxury refinement. The target audience is quite different for the two cars.

honestly, i'm not a japanese guy. i'm in love with all cars german. but i drove an sti recently and it seriously blew my mind. absolutely a blast. and with the quality of interiors they have now it's a seriously competitor for the 1/2 series now.
anyone curious should go down to their local subie dealer and sit in a new wrx or sti. things have gotten a lot better in the past few years interior wise. and that was always their weak suit.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Looks better than the 1 Series, but I'll need to see it modded and/or in ///M guise before I can truly comment.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
evolved

Quote:
honestly, i'm not a japanese guy. i'm in love with all cars german. but i drove an sti recently and it seriously blew my mind. absolutely a blast. and with the quality of interiors they have now it's a seriously competitor for the 1/2 series now.
anyone curious should go down to their local subie dealer and sit in a new wrx or sti. things have gotten a lot better in the past few years interior wise. and that was always their weak suit.
I owned an Evo VIII some years ago and the performance/dollar ratio was astounding. The thing was just an absolute blast to drive even in stock form. With that said, same stereo that comes in base lancers, a slight step up from the base interior of a base lancer, unforgiving ride, no cruise control, horrific gas mileage, etc. But again, one isn't buying an Evo/STI for the luxury, lol.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I owned an Evo VIII some years ago and the performance/dollar ratio was astounding. The thing was just an absolute blast to drive even in stock form. With that said, same stereo that comes in base lancers, a slight step up from the base interior of a base lancer, unforgiving ride, no cruise control, horrific gas mileage, etc. But again, one isn't buying an Evo/STI for the luxury, lol.
you have to agree there's definitely worse places to be though. lol
and most everything is soft touch now too. no more hard plastic everywhere

Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #51
tachi1247

Quote:
eh not really. similar quality. similar pricing. similar performance.
i mean i guess yeah they're different in that one is a sedan and is awd. but performance wise it should be similar.

eh anyway, i will have a hard time choosing between this and an sti. maybe no one else will. lol
The performance enthusiasts like us represent a very small
portion of BMW customers now. Sti only comes in a stick and the 235 will probably have a 93% take rate on the auto. Just the nature of the beast, more people want the badge than care about the dynamics. Just like that euro survey that showed 80% off 1 sites owners thought they were fwd.

Quote:
Interior on the current wrx/sti is pretty bad imo. Lots of cheap hard plastic everywhere. It is exactly what you would expect from a car based on an econobox designed in 2007. Subie spent all there money on the performance and none of it on the interior.

I do have high hopes for the upcoming wrx though. Based on the interior available in cars like the new mazda 3 and others I am expecting big performance along with an interior that looks like it belongs in a 30-40k car.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #52
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
How is a 240hp engine that sends the car from 0-60 in 5.4 seconds in any way "boring?"
I drove an F30 328 with the 4 cyl turbo engine. It has a surprising amount of power for a 4 cylinder, but it was incredibly underwhelming. The power delivery is very flat and focused on the mid-range. Gutless until the turbo spools up, and no power up top.

Combined with the fact that these new BMWs are so isolated from the road to the point of having to play engine noises in the car, it's becoming easier and easier to fall asleep while driving.

Also, they have completely devalued the 'M' division at this point by slapping M badges on every damn thing. There is no exclusivity to it anymore.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 10-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #53
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:

As much as I enjoyed driving our '08 Impreza, the interior was awful and the nav system was even worse. The worst part about it, aside from freezing randomly if you selected certain destinations and warrants turning off the whole car to reset, was when it would for no reason produce an ear-piercing screech through all the speakers at max. volume. Apparently some batch of nav systems was borked and needed to be recalled, and in order to recall it the dealer had to be there to hear it. They literally told me to drive it over there and not turn it off if the noise happened again so they could verify

Everything was cheap plastic.

But the drive was very good. Very easy car to drive and extraordinarily reliable. I did enjoy it as your most basic DD.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Also, they have completely devalued the 'M' division at this point by slapping M badges on every damn thing. There is no exclusivity to it anymore.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #55
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
looks like an audi
Watch your ****ING mouth.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Watch your ****ING mouth.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #57
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
I like it, but I think I'll be in the market for a facelift 135i by the time this thing hits stateside.

Fvck Volkswagens, I want a BMW again.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #58
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Low redline, No LSD? WTF?!
If you're basing this of the interior picture, that's a diesel cluster.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #59
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I think it looks quite good. I'm not in the market for a new car but if/when I am I will have to take a look at this.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #60
evolved

Quote:
That doesn't look terrible, no. I guess I'm stuck in the mindset of my Evo VIII that I had some years back. The new Sti's/Evo's have taken a step up, but the starting point was that of a base model Impreza/Lancer, lol.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Tags
2 series, 2 series forum, 2014 2 series, bmw, bmw 2 series, bmw 2 series mods, bmw 2 series parts, bmw f22, bmw f22 2 series, bmw f22 forum, bmw f22 mods, bmw f22 news, bmw f22 parts, bmw f22 pics, bmw forum, bmw news, f22 forum