E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
jfp2999

My Ride: 325ci
good advice if you live on the edge 2002 325ci bmw

#1. Did you know that a four door bmw 325i 2002 is the same length as a two door bmw 325ci. Found this one out when I switched exhaust and saw they are exactly the same.
#2. Did you know that if you where to take a 2002 bmw 325i audio amplifier out, which is in trunk on drivers side behind the panel, along with all the speakers and splice this second audio amplifier into any bmw that is the same make and model and year(example bmw 2002 325ci two door) it will double your sound system and give you two times a better sound. it takes a lot of wire and a lot of patience and skill. Your basically pulling out everything from a broke down bmw 325i 2002 and splicing it into another bmw with same make and model therefore doubling sound and power.
#3. Did you know that the shorter your intake is the better air flow you get. When you run a long aftermarket pipe to try and scavenge from cold air on bottom of car you are basically making it worse by increasing the amount of surface area it has to suck through to get air. it like blowing through a short straw or a long short is easier to blow.
#4. Did you know that besides dme programming the only major difference in a 330i bmw 2002 and a 2002 325ci or 325i bmw is the crankshaft. the 330ci's crankshaft has slotted sides basically what I am saying is it is lighter due to its design. now the stroke may be slightly different but I highly doubt it. The 325i bmw 2002 crankshaft does not have these slots on it and you can tell that it is heavier.
#5. Did you know that anytime you are refilling your expansion take coolant basically your engine coolant right in the front is a big plastic screw oyu must open this in order to let the air escape. your system can't and won't be full if you don't open this. you unscrew it a little and start to pour antifreeze in when it is full you will wil see water start to trickle from big plastic screw now oyu know I tis full.
#6. Did you know that on the drivers side underneath the steering column in the firewall there is a electric fan which blows cold air into the computers housing box which is underneath hood drivers side on back firewall. Mine was burned up and replaced with a radio shack computer fan.
#7.Did you know if you are ever wiring aftermarket equipment or anything requiring you to connect to the cars 12v power supply. Underneath the hood, on the passenger side firewall where there is that empty box thing. Inside the box on firewall is where you will find a rubber plug which can be removed and gives you a place to run your wires to the inside cab of car. Once you have got the wires through go to passenger side and behind the housing unit that has numerous relays on it will you locate your wires that you pushed through from underneath hood. This is a big help and gives you a professional look so you don't have to run wires by door or somewhere where they are exposed.
#8.Did you know that when you lower car the first thing to break is the power steering pump pulley wheel. This is the closest thing to ground is plastic and breaks easy. You can completely delete power steering if you want or can look to go with stock height or maybe look into a aluminum pulley. I just took my power steering off and its not that bad and give s you more power.
#9. Did you know if you delete power steering . You can run a shorter length belt and just have your water pump ,alternator and crankshaft hooked up therefore giving you more power.
#10. Did you know that deleting your resonators and muffler make your car sound like ****. The stock bmw exhaust is super quiet and sounds high quality with headers. I have tried both straight pipe and just deleting resonators with stock muffler still on and was very unhappy with that rice burner sound.
#11.Did you know that when working on a bmw you will have to get special fine thread bolts and nuts at parts store. BMW uses weird sizes and every nut and bolt is fine thread. U.s.a. Chevrolet etc. uses opposite and you will be looking for hours if you lose a bolt or nut. do it right and wait to put on right nut or bolt .
#12. Did you know that when installing aftermarket rims they will take special bolts and are near to impossible to find. The holes in aftermarket rims where the bolt goes in recessed and the bolt head has to fit in hole well the factory bolts have a super fat head and don't fit. The special bolts have thin heads to fit inside of hole. Never use anything but the required bolts for rims. If they aren't the right length and size you will break them off in wheel hub. The rim wheel actually will wobble and break bolts that are loose and may require you to replace whole wheel hub and bearing if you can't extract broken bolt. This at the minimum is $150.00 dollars for a complete hub not including install and labor.
#13. Did you know that your engine will misfire if you do not replace all your coil pack boots with new ones. Over time the rubber boots that connect to spark plug degrade and fall apart. This then exposes the head of sparkplug and the spark plug takes path of least resistance and jumps directly to the side of it which is the engine block.
#14. Did you know that you not only have one but two thermostat in the engine cooling system one thermostat is electronically triggered to open which is the engine thermo stat and one which is directly underneath expansion tank which is manual and is for your transmission cooler.
#15. Did you know that when it rains on the top of hood where your air cabin filter is water collects inside the air cabin filter rubber housing leaks down wither to the far left or right and goes straight into your number 6,5, and sometimes four cylinder spark plug holes. 6,5, and sometimes four spark plug holes now unable to fire. You have to pull coil pack blow out water and you should be good. Never remove spark plug before blowing out water form holes or else water will go into cylinder .
#16. Did you know that the alternator will grind a hole in your expansion tank rear if you don't make sure to firmly secure it so it doesn't dislodge and move back.
#17. Did you know that the fuse box inside of car is protected by another fuse box. On the top of fuse box is a black plastic cover remove and you will see the fuses. They are special fuses and will have a colored number on them. If one of these blows a hole block or section of fuse box will go out.
#18. Did you know that if you don't replace the cars front strut rubber bushings your steering wheel will shake violently back and forth and shake the whole car like crazy the faster you go. You can remove by unscrewing two bolts and twisting off depending on how worn they are. The old rubber has to be cut off with a electric grinder because underneath is a metal sleave.
#19. Did you know that below your expansion tank the plastic coolant distribution pipe and plastic part that connects to transmission cooler are designed for failure. Over time the plastic is stressed from pulling on it,heat, moisture, and will split where it is glued together . The engine coolant will leak out within a minute and blow your head gasket. Replace and constantly check for signs of leakage.
#20. Did you know that if you buy any bmw part from the dealership it is going to be four times more expensive then if you where to buy it online. If you don't have never buy from dealership. The internet has way better deals and are oem.

One final note if you ever need to replace engine or transmission and you take it to a authorized bmw dealership a engine replacement is going to cost right around $12,000. They never install used parts so engine will be brand spanking new. Now if you get a used engine on craigslist for $500.00 install yourself or hire a local mechanic to install you are looking at close to a $10,000 savings.
jfp2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
kejobe

My Ride: 2003 325I
Did you know it's hard as hell to read that without any spaces.

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
^^+1

Did you know most of your information is whack?..
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
...tldr?

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
jfp2999

i am trying my best

all I can do is try my best and give you all information that I feel took me a while to learn. I know they aren't the best and I know I never put some $5,000.00 supercharger or put a turbo kit on my 325ci bmw 2002 but in my opinion these tips could very save a person a lot of money one day. thank you all for even taking the time to give your opinion it is much appreciated and I am always happy to get any kind of reply.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
Did you know most of your information is whack?..
Kinda have to agree with this to a point. Some of it is common sense, some if it it just repeating stuff that anyone searching on here would already find ten times over, and some is just..wrong.

Just to point out a few..

#13... really? Kind of obvious that as a maintenance item, if not replaced, they can develop into a misfire. Would be the same on any car.

#14 applies if you have an automatic transmission. Good luck finding the 2nd thermostat under the expansion tank without an auto.

Actually, I just can't keep going down the list, it hurts my brain.

I can appreciate you taking the time to put together what you intended, I'm sure, to be a helpful post. However, when it's not entirely either correct, or in some cases, just common sense, and part of general automobile maintenance, it kind of escapes the realm of "did you know" tips.

Edit: Just to add to the end after reading your response above, well, it goes with what I said. A lot of that is already very easily found on here through a simple search. The cooling system has been gone over a gazillion times. #7 is..a grommet, basically? No huge news there, as most cars will always have some through the firewall, allowing things to run through. And there are a few of your tips, that really aren't entirely accurate. So anyone who does read them, and doesn't follow up with more searching, could be confused. Oh, and I have to ask. How on earth did #16 come into existence? I'm not sure if you meant secure the alternator, or ET? But if either one isn't secured properly, how do you even try to start the car?

A for Effort, D- for implementation.

Last edited by CharlzO; 10-28-2013 at 12:28 AM.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
jfp2999

response

#13. the spark plug coil packs problem surprised me because it took just a little chunk missing from the rubber to cause it to arc with the sidewall. you could hear it, like a ticking from the coil pretty loud too. that is why I posted it just so people would double check.
#14. yes I forgot to specify only on automatics.
#7. yes I know it is on all cars this grommet but what I would always do was get in a hurry and wire through the crack where the door is. this is just to make it easier for people, if they read this, to know where it is located and maybe remind them.
#16. the expansion tank is very close to the alternator pulley, maybe an inch away, and what happens is it starts to grind the back and make a hole in it. a better alternative would be maybe a metal tank.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I actually enjoyed reading these so thanks for posting. Did not know about #7 the wiring prep.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
jfp2999

thank you

you made me smile and I am so happy to help someone. with so many negative responds and so little positive ones i am not lying when i say i appreciate it. i have to continue to fight to gain popularity and respect from my peers. #7. my 2002 325ci bmw automatic mechanical fan clutch stopped engaging and wasn't providing enough suction to cool engine so i decided to go electric. i first started with just a switch wired to inside of car to turn on when car got hot then off when too cold then later switched to a aftermarket thermostat which you could adjust to turn on at different temperatures. well me being a me a dummy i just ran the wires at edge of door into cab of car and was unhappy with the look of the wires. well time went on and when you like to drink and drive expect to mess up car. well i got drunk one day and thought my car was a tank and hit a dirt mound ramped it and went front end first into dirt. everything plastic was broke including the front blower fan. so when i got another one plugged it in it wouldn't ever kick on and couldn't figure out why so i had to wire a switch for this one now too. well i had wires everywhere and when i would shut my door i couldn't because the dam wires were putting in a bind. so whenever i wire something now i make sure that i do it right and find that dam hole grommet whatever its called lol. any ways thanks man i appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Wait, did you just say you 'like' to drink & drive? Do you also like to go to jail? Seriously though, shouldn't post it on the internet. If you ever get caught they will use this to send you to jail for as long as they want. They will burn you at the stake boy. Nobody likes drunk drivers nor does anyone think they're cool. Drunk drivers who boast about enjoying the act of driving drunk will get no quarter in a court of law. You got some serious issues Tex. Can't believe you.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
jfp2999

misunderstood

o trust me guy I have had four dwi's, money laundering, three possession of controlled substance charges, two possession of marijuana, escape, bringing drugs into a prison facility, and nearly was charged with intent to distribute over 5 kilo of cocaine. so I know what all this causes you lose what is most important to you-your reputation. everyday i have to live with people treating me like a worthless peace of ****. even my family hates me but love me at the same time. all my friends are in prison. I STATE THIS NOW I DO NOT CONDONE DRINKING AND DRIVING NOR DO I RECOMMEND IT. i take risks crazy ones and it is cool when it pays off and i can't go through life worrying. when i do mess up for these risks yes i regret it but life isn't always one two three we make choices because we want to enjoy life we never make them to hurt someone it is an accident. am i perfect no do i take risks like everyone else yes. bmw 3 series are so much fun to work on and teach you a lot when i am dying in bed or wherever it is the thoughts and memories that will make me smile the most is the ones where i felt free and alive. i will never stop making more even if that means driving drunk with friends or doing things that people say you can't or shouldn't. thank you all and god bless everyone.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2999 View Post
o trust me guy I have had four dwi's, money laundering, three possession of controlled substance charges, two possession of marijuana, escape, bringing drugs into a prison facility, and nearly was charged with intent to distribute over 5 kilo of cocaine. so I know what all this causes you lose what is most important to you-your reputation.
How are you not in jail?
(Sorry for being brash and sounding like a jacka**, but DAMN

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
TopasE46

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Re: good advice if you live on the edge 2002 325ci bmw

Quote:
o trust me guy I have had four dwi's, money laundering, three possession of controlled substance charges, two possession of marijuana, escape, bringing drugs into a prison facility, and nearly was charged with intent to distribute over 5 kilo of cocaine.
Why would you brag about that? This isn't a website for for people in the "hood" who think that **** is "boss" and that it will gain you "street cred." 99.999% of people on this site will think your an idiot.

And "did you know" your fan probably doesn't work because you either damaged the harness when you got trashed and trashed your car, or the fuse is blown from the motor drawing too much current because the fan blades were mashed up in the radiator?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TopasE46; 10-29-2013 at 01:51 AM.
TopasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
jfp2999

i feel a revolution

people of e46 forums I am hear to bring light just joking. no I am not bragging just the truth and kind of a common thing with the u.s.a.'s known statistics of the high percentage of population incarcerated. must be all these computers lol. any ways yeah everything plastic got trashed and I purchased a used one that may have been my mistake but still to this day couldn't get thermostat to open electronically or get the front blower fan to work. yes you guessed It I hate computers on cars and I hate emissions and if I was rich would drop a small block v8 carberated engine and a automatic transmission with standalone computer and call it a day but I am not. may your future endeavors be fruitfull and you live a long prosperous life.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
TopasE46

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Re: good advice if you live on the edge 2002 325ci bmw

You don't need to be rich, but why would you do it? One of the beauties of the e46 to me is the combination of power, driving experience, and fuel mileage. Putting a carb'd v8 or v6 for that matter, would mess up the power to weight ratio, the weight distribution, and fuel milage. At that point you might as well buy a 70s pinto because you've ruined everything the e46 is.

And There are many engine/trans combinations that work without any electronics.

TopasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
jfp2999

frustration

yeah I know I love them too it's the emissions that kills me. yeah one time I lost all my money in Miami florida and drove all the way to my home west texas on 250.00 of gas thank you bmw 30 to 40 mpg. i just get frustrated but your right it could never match the mpg. my dad is old school and always suggests i do this.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
good advice if you live on the edge 2002 325ci bmw

I'm not sure I believe the post about rain water eventually finding its way into spark plug wells i mean come on man

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #18
jfp2999

why not

wow I am surprised you never had this problem. I have had this happen several times but may be because I didn't tighten the micro air filter housing either way it really happened and more than once. I mean come on they are huge holes with no outlets use your imagination. all I would ask of you is to be careful when changing spark plugs and to not let a simple problem become a big one. thank you
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
am not bragging just the truth and kind of a common thing with the u.s.a.'s known statistics of the high percentage of population incarcerated. must be all these computers lol.
...did you just blame computers for the US's prison population?

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
So much messed up stuff on this thread, a ton of the info you gave is just poor, whether obvious or poorly explained, and drinking and driving and drugs and dropping v8s(with auto transmissions) in BMWs. Don't even know what to say. I have thought about drinking and driving but have never done it because I don't want to put myself or others in danger, and also because I respect my car and if I did anything to hurt it I would be depressed/mad at myself beyond belief. I also don't think that you should talk about how you "enjoy drinking and driving" don't care if you go on to say you shouldn't do it, it throws out a bad idea or thinking to others
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote