E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Nabs

My Ride: AW/IR M3
Nabs' Maximum PSI turbo install/build

Hi Everyone! My name is David, all my friends call me Nabs, and I recently purchased Maximum PSI's stage 1 turbo kit back in September and I thought I'd share my experience and current progress as I finish up my install.

A bit of background:
My first car was a '99 323i which made me fall in love with BMW's, mainly the E46 M3. After a year and half that car was totalled in a parking lot. Fast forward 1 year later and I was still searching for the perfect M3, Alpine White with Imola Red interior, 6 speed with less than 60k miles. I finally found one in October 2011 and flew to New York to pick it up and drive it back to Northwestern Ontario. Since then I've modded the car quite a bit with my main goal being to use the car on the track.

I first contacted Maximum PSI near the end of August regarding the development and availability of their E85 Stage 2 kit. Luke and Mike were very quick to respond to any question I had and I eventually settled on purchasing the stage 1 kit now and upgrading to stage 2 at a later date. The whole process went very fast; less than a week after payment the kit was shipped, within 2 weeks of initial inquiry the kit was delivered. I must say that Mike was very accommodating of my situation since I was the first in Canada to purchase the kit and was having it shipped to the border so that I could pick it up after a HPDE & drag racing weekend in Minnesota.

I didn't start the install until 2 weeks ago since I wanted to drive the car N/A for just a little bit longer and finish up the autocross season. Anyway, on to the pictures!

The massive box of parts was delivered strapped to pallet. There was hole on the side of the box but luckily nothing was damaged in the box. When I first opened the box there was a personalized letter, as well as instructions for sending the DME to Nick of Technique Tuning in Florida and the instruction manual for the install on a flash drive.

The first order of business was to send the DME to Nick. Then came time to pull everything apart. At the time that I ordered the kit I decided that it would also be a good time to do Inspection II as I wasn't sure if it had ever been done and I was just about to hit 50k miles. I started with the valve adjustment and everything looked good and all the valves were within spec, then I remembered to look at the VANOS hub...

I was very happy to catch that before anything worse had happened although it did set things back by quite a bit. I was able to pull everything apart and keep the tab from falling into the oil pan but I was also greeted by some damage on the oil pump disk. I ended up ordering all new seals and the rattle kit from Beisan Systems, a new turbotoy V3 hub and I took the disk to get 2 new holes drilled

The next day I finished up the rest of the inspection and drained and refilled the differential and transmission with OEM fluid and changed the fuel filter

Then I started working on removing everything to start installing the kit. I started out with the engine bay and removed the intake.

I didn't really do things in order and decided to tackle the intercooler mounting next. I removed the front crash bar and intake grill to install the mounting studs. Then I had to remove and cut part of the intake to fit the intercooler. It turned out I didn't take off enough so I have since removed it and will be cutting some more. As you can see I had Mike anodize the intercooler black since I wanted to keep an OEM look as much as possible.

I next moved to the spark plugs and then the injectors.

All the smaller items came in sealed and labeled bags which was a great help and made things a lot easier

Old vs new (I live on a dirt road so my car tends to get dirty pretty fast)

Due to the increased height of the injectors a spacer was required for the fuel feed line and as well as a slight modification to the mounts

It was a little tricky getting the injector harness and vacuum rail back on but with a little bit of finesse they both went back in place.

After that came the intake manifold. There were a few little things that were needed to be done before the manifold went in. These included plugging the oil drain for the stock manifold, running the turbo oil feed, installing a check valve in a vacuum line and installing the new mount for the manifold. Here it is in place

With all the major stuff done in the engine bay it was time to crawl under the car and start removing the exhaust manifold. Anyone want some Statud Gruppe, Swain Tech coated headers?

With the header out of the way I went ahead and installed the new rally road motor mount. The new mount came with a new motor mount as well but I tried to see if my Vibra-Technics mount would still fit. The mount cleared the turbo but didn't sit properly with the new mount so I installed the provided one.

I loved the look of the white headers in the engine bay so much that I decided to paint the turbo manifold white as well. The new manifold also required the longer E36 manifold studs in order to be properly tightened. It was very easy to get the turbo manifold in being that it was one piece compared to a normal set of headers.

Drilling and tapping the oil pan was quite scary but with a bit of patience I got through it with no issue.

TURBO TIME!

At this point I was advised by a few friends that instead of running the provided fittings and hose for the oil drain line, I should run a stainless braided line. After an attempt to do so which slightly failed I was also advised to clock the turbo to get the line to fit. I talked to Mike yesterday about this and have decided to go with the provided fittings and line. Should I have an issue in the next year, I doubt it, I will go to a stainless line.

I haven't done much since then due to midterms but this weekend I'm hoping to have most of what's left installed. Yesterday I went across the border to pick up what was needed to rebuild the VANOS unit and the DME. I accidentally damage one of the teflon seals for the VANOS pistons so I have to wait for a new one. My goal is to get it on the road by next weekend at the latest, before they salt the roads and the snow actually stays on the ground.

New turbotoy V3 hub and VANOS goodies.

Here's the list of what still needs to be done:
  • Rebuild VANOS unit
  • Fix and reinstall the fuel pump
  • Vacuum metal shavings from the oil pan
  • Install the turbo oil drain line
  • Install wastegate and downpipe
  • Remount intercooler
  • Install charge piping
  • Run all the vacuum lines
  • install boost controller and wideband
  • Cut and remount underpanels and front bumper
  • Refill all the fluids
  • Enjoy!

Last edited by Nabs; 10-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Solid Parts! Looking forward to your impressions!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Enjoy in good health, welcome onboard.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Awesome write up. Keep us updated

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Nabs' Maximum PSI turbo install/build

Very well documented ...keep up the good work and keep us in the loop. Good to see another fellow Canadian lay down some power

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by being3; 10-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
In for the build.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
nek0

My Ride: e85 turbo m3
very nice, are you gonna run any aftermarket clutch?
nek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Nabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Solid Parts! Looking forward to your impressions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Enjoy in good health, welcome onboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Awesome write up. Keep us updated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
In for the build.
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Very well documented ...keep up the good work and keep us in the loop. Good to see another fellow Canadian lay down some power
Thank you! This is actually the condensed version. I've taken close to 400 pictures so far and on my local forum I included a bit more of the tear down and a few more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek0 View Post
very nice, are you gonna run any aftermarket clutch?
Thanks! I decided to stick with the stock clutch for now. There's only 51k miles on it and it's never been driven hard on other than a couple drag events. I also wanted to minimize the amount of work initially so I could enjoy the car a bit sooner. When I upgrade to E85 I will also upgrade the clutch.

Last edited by Nabs; 10-27-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Rudbari

My Ride: m3
Great thread , I am also interested in getting maximum psi kit . Looking forward to see more update
Rudbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
Awesome writeup! You're almost there
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Great writeup OP... seems to be exactly everything I have planned within the next year. Was there absolutely no way to get the Vibria-Technics to fit with the kit? That is one issue I was worried about myself, since I have these mounts and really enough them actually. The whole mount itself also makes me a little worried, as far as being performance oriented...

Always great service by Mike and the guys at MaxPSI.... Cant wait to get with them in the near future... Also anticipating the completion of the E85 kit

Last edited by cosmos///m3; 10-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.
cosmos///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Nabs

It is possible to get the Vibra-Technics to fit but it would require slight modification to the mount arm. It cleared the turbo with no issue. You can actually see in one picture, 4th from the bottom, that I still had the Vibra-Technics mount in with the turbo in place.

To get it to fit you would simply have to expand the existing slot or notch the slot on the left as it is slightly offset from the OEM position. I wasn't sure if it would mess with the integrity of the mount so I decided not to. The newer mount is also designed to sit lower than the OEM position, so with the Vibra-Technics mount it caused the engine to sit a bit higher. I've attached the pictures from Rally Road showing the difference in height and position.

Maybe Mike can chime in on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rallyroad_E46M3_MOUNT_OVERLAY03.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	532409   Click image for larger version

Name:	rallyroad_E46M3_MOUNT_OVERLAY04.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	532410  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
djtrini

My Ride: 04 M3 & 05 330i ZHP
Looks good so far! Looking forward to your final impressions of this kit!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
It is possible to get the Vibra-Technics to fit but it would require slight modification to the mount arm. It cleared the turbo with no issue. You can actually see in one picture, 4th from the bottom, that I still had the Vibra-Technics mount in with the turbo in place.

To get it to fit you would simply have to expand the existing slot or notch the slot on the left as it is slightly offset from the OEM position. I wasn't sure if it would mess with the integrity of the mount so I decided not to. The newer mount is also designed to sit lower than the OEM position, so with the Vibra-Technics mount it caused the engine to sit a bit higher. I've attached the pictures from Rally Road showing the difference in height and position.

Maybe Mike can chime in on this.
Yeah I would like to have a bit more insight on this personally. I realize the product itself is fine otherwise they wouldn't market it. I am curious though how if any it alters the performance? If any alterations were to be done what would it take in order to use my VT motor mounts as well and keep the 'usability' of everything else.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
The V-T mount is the same size as the OEM mount. It is changed to a smaller mount for turbo fitment purposes. If you start throwing different height mounts you will change exhaust alignment, etc. If you use the V-T mount on the pass side you need to modify the motor mount arm, and you will have clearance issues with the intake coupler to the turbo.
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
why do you guys want to alter the kit to make your v-t mount work? I'm sure the mount that is given with the kit would be better than altering the kit to make it work for your mounts...
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
why do you guys want to alter the kit to make your v-t mount work? I'm sure the mount that is given with the kit would be better than altering the kit to make it work for your mounts...
I think its more or less a question for me about having 2 different mounts and 2 different mounting arms. Though it may not make a noticeable difference, for personal piece of mind if at all possible I would prefer to keep my VT mounts if modifying the new mount arm were possible without losing any of its functionality and strength.

Does that make sense and clarify? Not sure if I'm making sense to only myself
Old 10-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Nabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
If you start throwing different height mounts you will change exhaust alignment, etc. If you use the V-T mount on the pass side you need to modify the motor mount arm, and you will have clearance issues with the intake coupler to the turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
I thought it was worth a try to see how much work would be involved in making it work. I ended up putting in the provided mount so I wouldn't run into issues later down the road.

What Mike said about the exhaust alignment didn't really occur to me until he mentioned it. I was putting in the downpipe a few days ago and had to bend the heat shield just to get it to fit properly. You definitely would have to modify the mount arm extensively just to get the V-T mount to fit, or go with a custom made arm which kind of defeats the purpose of the kit.

I didn't really do much on the weekend as I was slightly discouraged after damaging and having to wait for a new VANOS seal. I ended up vacuuming the oil pan to get rid of the metal shavings from drilling and tapping, although I think I may have missed a spot. It's quite tricky to get anything in there to vacuum out the shavings and its one of those things you want to make sure is done properly and completely. I kept having to shove my phone into the pan to try and see what was left.
Just to give you an idea of what it looks like in the pan

I ended up having to completely pull the turbo out as there was one bolt on the turbine housing which would interfere with the last mounting bolt for the turbo to manifold. After that was fixed I got the turbo back in and put the wastegate on.

Then I remembered I still had to pull the O2 sensors from the headers and route them before I put the downpipe in. Of course with my luck one of the sensors that I screwed, by hand, decided to strip itself on the way out.

Since the kit runs on a single bank conversion I took the bank 2 sensor 2 and swapped the plug with the bank 1 sensor. That took a while since I had to also transfer the heat shielding for the wires.

After all that was done I got to mounting the down pipe. At first I was worried it wouldn't fit since it was hitting the heat shield but it went in after a bit of bending the heat shield. It was still a bit of a tight fit but it wasn't touching.

That was it for the night as it was freezing and my garage isn't heated. I tried to get the second part of the downpipe in but it was just too cold to do anything.

Last edited by Nabs; 10-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Good work, I know exactly how you feel. For some reason I always run into unexpected problems when I work on my car.

Keep up the good work, take your time and do it right.

Also did you consider dropping the oil pan? I assume u decided against this because you didn't want to buy a new gasket...

I probably would have tried washing out the metal by pouring oil into the pan and letting it drain out....

Last edited by BDUB328I; 10-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Nabs

Thanks! After seeing the DIY for dropping the oil pan I immediately decided against it. It requires much more work than I wanted to deal with right now. The instruction manual recommended running a tube connected to a shop vac while drilling to catch the shavings but I didn't do that so it was a bit of my own fault. I got most of it with the shop vac and tube afterwards, then was able to run my fingers on the bottom to double check and get even the tiniest shavings, I just forgot to get the back area which, no matter how long I let it drain, has some oil pooled up there.

My replacement Beisan seal should be delivered to the border tomorrow and I'll be going to pick it up on Friday morning. I can't thank Raj enough for sending a replacement so quickly and without question! I also should be having a friend come over to help this weekend, so fingers crossed it will be done and running this weekend!