E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
peter*g

My Ride: E46M3, X5, Evo IX RS
and now for something completely different... E46 M3 rally car

I've always been a BMW guy. My first car was an '88 528e wreck that I rebuilt, which kicked off a long line of BMWs; an E36 328i, a '95 M3 (which eventually become a road racer), an '88 M3 with an Evo 2.5l motor, the first ZHP 330i in the country, a Dinan S2 X5, and my current E46 M3 (a 2002 model I bought back in '05). During this time I always tracked my BMWs, but back in 2006 I switched from road racing to rallying, running a Mitsubishi Evo IX RS at Targa Newfoundland and then in the Canadian Rally Championship. After taking a job at a software start-up (read-as: no money and even less free time) I decided to take a break from racing. I sold the Evo at the end of 2011, and have had to feed the addiction solely with track days since.

I suspected that wouldn't last.

Track days are fun, but when you're used to racing it's just not enough. So, I've decided to take my beloved 2002 BMW M3 and convert it into a racer. The plan for the car is a unique one; it'll be converted to Rally America spec and raced at the Empire State Performance Rally, the New England Hill Climb series (capped off by the Climb to the Clouds up Mount Washington) and -- if budget allows -- a return for my 6th run at Targa Newfoundland.

This thread will track my progress on the build. So, comment below and follow along as I convert the car. Enjoy!

Last edited by peter*g; 10-28-2013 at 09:41 AM.
peter*g is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
peter*g

Let's start off with some of the "before" pictures. The car started out as a pretty special E46: Imola Red over black leather, with no sunroof and manual heated seats. It's a 2002 with just over 80k miles. The best part? It was purchased to be a track car, and has been so it's entire life.

Going through the Carousel at Sears Point:

Slip-slidin' through T10 at Sears:

In the hot pits at Thunderhill:

At Mosport:
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
peter*g

First things first -- a delivery of some race goodies to kick off the build.

Momo seats, seat mounts, steering wheel and hub, Macht Schnell bases, and a PTG driver's floor pan:

OMP harnesses, spare wheel tie down, and carbon fiber co-driver's foot rest:

I kicked off the work by gutting the interior and getting it ready for the cage.

Interior gutted, dash out to clean up the extra wiring.

Dash reinstalled:

Trunk emptied out:

Seat and steering wheel fitted:

Sitting notably higher with so much less weight:

Last edited by peter*g; 11-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
peter*g

For the cage, i chose to work with Bill Doyle of Cage This. Bill does really nice work for a very reasonable price. It also helps that he's a BMW rallyist with both an E30 and a 318ti.

Here are some photos of the cage build in-progress:

and the final product:

Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
peter*g

With the cage done and seats/harnesses installed, I shook it down at New Hampshire Motor Speedway with the White Mountain BMW CCA Chapter.

As for weight, I seemed to have traded the weight of the interior for the weight of steel tubes:

For the record, my fastest lap of the weekend was a 1:15.3. This lap was with the oval, on 2 year old Nitto NT-01's. Not a bad lap, but there's definitely some more to be had with the car aligned and corner weighted for the new weight of the cage.

Last edited by peter*g; 10-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
peter*g

The car had a double-din navigation stereo installed, so I adapted the original face plate to be a gauge panel. I cut a sheet of carbon fiber to fit the hole and used epoxy to install it:

Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
peter*g

Rally cars are all required to have fire extinguishers, so I bolted a 10BC to the transmission tunnel (using the hand brake bolts for easy mounting):

Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
peter*g

In fitting the co-driver's foot rest, i ran into a bit of a problem: the floor of the M3 is uneven. In looking at ways to fit a bracket to get the foot rest level, I figured out that with a little bit of adjustment I could adapt the old passenger airbag bracket for the purpose!

I also fitted the Sparco drink bags to the seat backs. These are basically a camel back that is easily secured to a race seat and has an extended drink tube you can attach to your harnesses:

Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Awesome, very unique build. Do you have any links to info on your evo? Rally racing sounds like it would be a blast.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
peter*g

You can see the full build specs on the Evo here: http://evolvedperformance.com/?page_id=11 You can also read my blog posts on the build and on events there.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
NICE!!!!!! Love it man. Any way they could have used less tubing to still make the body rigid so some weight could have been reduced?

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Damn.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
NICE!!!!!! Love it man. Any way they could have used less tubing to still make the body rigid so some weight could have been reduced?
Actually, the tubing is all there for crash protection. The only "extra" bars outside of that are for the rear differential, but I believe that's worth the performance advantage.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
car is coming along great
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Wow, badass EVO too. I haven't came across too many rally builds, but it looks like a blast. Keep it up man

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
e46JAB

My Ride: Titan over Tannin
Awesome!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
sub'd for racecar goodness
Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
802Hoop

My Ride: '03 M3
I like where this is going. Looking forward to reading more!
802Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
peter*g

Did a little more work last night; installed a PTG floor pan in the driver's side foot well, and installed a Rennline battery tray and kill switch. Check it out.

Had to trim the panel a bit around the gas pedal, as I chose to lay the floor pan on top of the base of the pedal (instead of cutting a hole in the floor pan to pass the base of the pedal through). I then pop-riveted the panel in place.

For the kill switch, I used a Rennline pull cable attached to the switch, and drilled a hole in the body work to pass the cable through. A plastic grommet keeps things tidy and let's the cable slide freely.

And the finished result.

This is the Rennline battery tray I used (bolted through the floor of the car). It holds an Odyssey PC925, and has a built-in kill switch. You can see the routing of the pull cable in this shot.

Last edited by peter*g; 11-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
peter*g

I changed all of the driveline fluids today in preparation of putting the car into storage later this month (I keep it in a garage off-site). While i was at it, I also installed a navigator's light. It's an OMP rally map light that I mounted to the center console and is powered by the same wiring as the lighted shift knob.

This is now starting to look like a nice office for a co-driver:

Last edited by peter*g; 11-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.