E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
trade you my left kidney?..
Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
peter*g

My Ride: E46M3, X5, Evo IX RS
Did a bunch more work to the car over the past few days. Flushed the cooling system, safety wired the harness clips, cleaned up some of the wiring and add plastic loom cover, and some other odds and ends. I also wired up the horn to my Momo wheel and did some more rally prep, all detailed below.

Wiring the Horn Button
Wiring the Momo wheel was fairly straightforward (FYI: this specific wheel is the Momo MOD 80 Evo). I had originally removed the SRS reel, but re-installed it and found the contacts for the horn. Thankfully it was pretty straightforward; bridging the first two contacts in the middle of the reel sounds the horn. I found some small speaker connectors that slipped over the pins easily and ran wiring to the horn buttons.

Carbon Fiber Storage Plate
I also fabricated a plate to hold the required warning triangles and tow rope -- one that could be easily removed when I want to switch the car to a road race spec. I used the spot opposite the battery as my mounting location:

I then cut a piece of carbon fiber plate to fill the spot. I used a cardboard template to check the size and placement, before cutting the carbon and adding slots to slip straps through.

With it bolted into place, the triangles and tow rope are now easily strapped down and in reach.

Two triangles can be mounted anywhere in the car, but at least one needs to be within reach of the co-driver. I used the sub belt hole in the seat to run a strap through to hold the triangle.

Door Pull Straps
One last little "nice to have" that I added is a simple strap between the door and the cage. This make it easier to close the door when you're strapped in. Having already forgot to get the door within reach once while strapping in at the test weekend, I figured it would be worth the effort.

Next up are the door panels, rally computer, and a very special rear view mirror set-up. More to come.

'02 BMW M3 (racecar build in progress)
'01 Audi S4 Avant (daily driver)

Last edited by peter*g; 11-28-2013 at 07:33 AM.
peter*g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
Alexander13

My Ride: 328ci
Very very interesting! Can you still run the factory door cards with that cage?
Alexander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
peter*g

Unfortunately, no. Even my CSL door panels stuck out too far. I'll be covering the openings in the door with sheets of carbon fiber.

Last edited by peter*g; 11-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
peter*g

Finally got around to making door panels over the weekend. The rulebooks I'm adhering to all require some sort of covering of the "sharp metal edges" in the door opening that is typically left when you remove the factory door panels. I was able to find some inexpensive sheets of carbon fiber on eBay, so I decided to make my own door panels.

I started by making my own template out of cardboard. I used that to refine the dimensions, shape, and how/where I would mount it. Once I had the cardboard shape right, I transferred it on to the carbon fiber using painter's tape to mark where I would have to cut.

I then used a Dremel and a small cut-off wheel to trim the carbon fiber. The small tool let me go slow and be precise in my cuts. And here is the result:

Putting it on the car was a simple matter of pop-riveting it into place. I first duct-taped the panel on to the door where I wanted it, and then drilled through the carbon and the metal of the door to install rivets. Easy.

I know the photos are crap, but this is what you get for taking pictures with your iPhone late at night. I'll take some nice pics of the work with a better camera in sunlight before it goes into storage for the winter.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Man this is definately an interesting project but sweet none the less! Good job man!
5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #27
SC98MaximaSE

My Ride: is still a NISSAN
are these oem e92's?

SC98MaximaSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #28
Feuerbach

My Ride: E46 M3
Loving that CF door panel
Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #29
peter*g

The 19" wheels are OEM replicas.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #30
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Re: and now for something completely different... E46 M3 rally car

Subscribed, this is really cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
MiamiVice ZHP

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP Vert
and now for something completely different... E46 M3 rally car

Talk about race car feel

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MiamiVice ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #32
tks

My Ride: slower than yours

these are my favorite kinda threads!!
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Subscribed.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
peter*g

My last big project before I put the car into storage is installing the rally computer. I use a TimeWise that was custom built for us to run in Targa. It's a hybrid of their 547b that added a couple of extra TSD functions.

It took me quite a while to find the correct wire to pull a vehicle speed signal from in the car. The best signal I found is from one of the outputs from the ABS sensors. It's a yellow wire with a green stripe that can be found at the back of the instrument cluster (in addition to the ECU and ABS computer). I tapped into that wire and ran the signal to the TimeWise and it worked like a charm.

As for mounting, I was able to use a pair of Joe's Racing mirror brackets bolted to a dash bar that we installed when we put in the cage.

I fabricated a simple aluminum bracket that I could bolt between the brackets and secure the rally computer to. It isn't pretty, but it's functional.

This will be my last post on the build for a few months, as the really cold weather has finally settled in here in New England, and I don't have a heated garage. I have a long list of to-do's, but they'll have to wait until I get closer to my first event next year.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter*g View Post
I fabricated a simple aluminum bracket that I could bolt between the brackets and secure the rally computer to. It isn't pretty, but it's functional.
Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there's a really easy way to anneal aluminum back to T0 temper in the shop. Draw a line with a sharpie along your bend line, then heat it up with a torch. When the sharpie line disappears, you've hit the right temperature. It's helped me get some nice, sharp bends out of scrap aluminum with just a vise and a hammer before.

I like that computer mount, that's very slick.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there's a really easy way to anneal aluminum back to T0 temper in the shop. Draw a line with a sharpie along your bend line, then heat it up with a torch. When the sharpie line disappears, you've hit the right temperature. It's helped me get some nice, sharp bends out of scrap aluminum with just a vise and a hammer before.

I like that computer mount, that's very slick.
That's a new one for me. Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
pgiliver

My Ride: 323ci

This is awesome! When the car's ready, leave some details about the events you'll be running it in. This is probably my favorite thread on this entire site.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pgiliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
peter*g

My plan at this point is to compete in the following events:

I'll also try to do a GTS Challenge race or two. I'm actively seeking sponsorship right now for the main events above, so that will somewhat dictate how much I can get out and do.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #39
Rayn325

My Ride: 325i, 325ci
Impressive build. I hope I see this car at least twice when its done - Once in competitive race and again in 20 years in a vintage event.

I'm wondering what the plans are for the underside and front? With all those easily damaged plastics are you going to do metal plates and a push bar?
Rayn325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #40
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn325 View Post
Impressive build. I hope I see this car at least twice when its done - Once in competitive race and again in 20 years in a vintage event.

I'm wondering what the plans are for the underside and front? With all those easily damaged plastics are you going to do metal plates and a push bar?
Since I won't be running on gravel, underbody protection is less urgent. I'll stick with the factory plastics for the most part, but I'll likely add a skid plate in place of the stock belly pan and will do something to protect the fuel and brake lines. The oil pan on the M3 is pretty nicely protected with the stock metal plate, so I'll really just focus on protecting the oil cooler and radiator with the belly pan.