E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
Alexander13

My Ride: 328ci
Not personally sold on those CF door trims yet. However the rest looks fantastic and the cage design gave me every idea I needed to finalise mine! Looking forward to after winter mods to this.

P.s. I feel sorry for your winter, where I am in Australia we might get. Cold month but the rest is still shorts and a jumper weather!
Alexander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
peter*g

My Ride: E46M3, X5, Evo IX RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander13 View Post
Not personally sold on those CF door trims yet. However the rest looks fantastic and the cage design gave me every idea I needed to finalise mine! Looking forward to after winter mods to this.
Function over form in this case. I care less about what they look like and more that they seal off the opening with the lightest material possible.

I spent an hour on the phone this weekend with James Clay @ Bimmerworld scheming for exactly what I should do to make the car fast and reliable. I'm excited for my first event.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
peter*g

My other passion has always been endurance racing. This upcoming weekend is NASA's 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I've been competing in this event since it began over 10 years ago, and for the last 5 years I've competed with the same team -- now called El Diablo Motorsports. We managed a hard fought class win (and 4th overall) last year, and are returning this year hoping to repeat.

Here is full coverage of last year's event:

You can follow our progress this year on Facebook. I'll also post pics when I return.

Last edited by peter*g; 12-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
peter*g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #44
Alexander13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter*g View Post
Function over form in this case. I care less about what they look like and more that they seal off the opening with the lightest material possible.

I spent an hour on the phone this weekend with James Clay @ Bimmerworld scheming for exactly what I should do to make the car fast and reliable. I'm excited for my first event.
You're right, the door trims are exactly function over form and look good too!!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter*g View Post
My other passion has always been endurance racing. This upcoming weekend is NASA's 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I've been competing in this event since it began over 10 years ago, and for the last 5 years I've competed with the same team -- now called El Diablo Motorsports. We managed a hard fought class win (and 4th overall) last year, and are returning this year hoping to repeat.

Here is full coverage of last year's event:

You can follow our progress this year on Facebook. I'll also post pics when I return.
awesome video!
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #46
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
That's badass, I'd love to run Thunderhill one day.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #47
Mad_Scientist

My Ride: '04 325Ci
i plan on doing this to my coupe eventually after its no longer a driver.. nice pattern to follow what are you doing about engine/transmission power and reliability
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #48
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
i plan on doing this to my coupe eventually after its no longer a driver.. nice pattern to follow what are you doing about engine/transmission power and reliability
For power, I have the following mods on the car already:
  • aFe Intake
  • Bimmerworld Silicone Intake Hose
  • Dinan Throttle Bodies
  • Evosport Headers
  • High-Flow Cats
  • UUC Corsa Exhaust
  • Evosport Pulleys
  • Bimmerworld ECU tune

For reliability, I have an upgraded aluminum radiator with electric fan and plan to install the Bimmerworld upgraded oil cooler. I also plan to upgrade the clutch assembly at some point, although the stock set-up has been fine for me so far.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #49
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Such a cool build, that cage is a monster!
I will be following this thread.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #50
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
OP, I am speechless. Wonderful wonderful build.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #51
peter*g

Thanks! I'll take the car out of storage at the end of the month to finish prep for the Empire State Performance Rally.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #52
Alexander13

Is there any chance of some more photos of the door trims? Haha even if I said previously I wasn't overly keen. Got a cage built off your photos and yep the door trims don't fit haha
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #53
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander13 View Post
Is there any chance of some more photos of the door trims? Haha even if I said previously I wasn't overly keen. Got a cage built off your photos and yep the door trims don't fit haha
Ha! It's just flat sheets of carbon fiber. What do you want to see?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #54
ams07r

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Subscribed to see an amazing build!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ams07r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #55
peter*g

Thanks! I was planning to take the car out of storage this weekend to get back to working on it, but it's still insanely cold here and I have no heat or insulation in my garage! I'm going to have to wait a few more weeks, so looks like it's going to be a bit of a mad dash to finish the prep for ESPR!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #56
ams07r

My Ride: E46 325Ci
I have a similar problem where I live. My remedy is a space heater I keep underneath my car. When I get cold, I just crawl under the car for a few minutes. You just have to wait for the car to absorb some neat first. That and a good skull cap keep me chugging along.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ams07r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
peter*g

Yep, that's what I do as well. Still sucks to be laying on cold concrete when it's 15 degrees outside.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #58
peter*g

Alright folks. The weather is finally starting to turn around here in Massachusetts, and we're only about 6 weeks away from ESPR, so I'm getting back to working on the car.

--

I started off by getting the car in the air so that I could do the brakes. I swapped over to new Hawk Blue race pads and flushed the brakes. I chose the Hawk Blue because they work well when cold and have predictable bite.

I've been using the Motive brake bleeder for over 10 years. It just makes the whole process of bleeding brakes so much easier. If you're still bleeding brakes manually, you're really missing out.

--

The next project for me was removing the factory trunk latch mechanism, and replacing it with Sparco spring latches. Being that the spare and jack, the battery, the first aid kit, etc. are all in the trunk, I didn't want the power trunk latch to make access a problem. It also saves a tiny bit of weight.

Note that the latch is at an angle to give room for pulling down the spring latch. I could have gone the other way (mounting the latch to the chassis instead of the trunk) to make the angle more natural, but it would have been a much more complicated process.

--

The last thing I did was to start adding some of the race vinyl. I already had my driver name stickers and flags, so I applied them to the rear windows. I'm still waiting on the co-driver stickers from Rallygrafix.com.

I used painter's tape to make sure I had the best alignment of both my name and the flag.

I also applied the first of my sponsor decals; a Falken banner on my back window. Falken Tire stepped up and is providing me their awesome Azenis RT-615K street tire for my events this year. This tire made it's name in the street tire class in SCCA Autocross, so I've got high hopes for it's performance on the tight and twisty tarmac stages at Targa.

--

Next up for me is much more substantial work -- removing the AC system and installing an upgraded oil cooler. Watch this space for updates.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #59
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Looks good! Your flag sticker is on backwards, though! Never retreat!

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #60
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
Looks good! Your flag sticker is on backwards, though! Never retreat!
I know, I know. I ordered the "correct" direction flags for that side of the car. They're coming with the co-driver names.