E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #61
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Badass!

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #62
Alexander13

My Ride: 328ci
I idolise this car! Sooo good!
Alexander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #63
peter*g

My Ride: E46M3, X5, Evo IX RS
Back at it again today. Only a month out now from my first event, so need to pick up the pace.

--

Got my tires for the event mounted and balanced. Falken provided me with a set of their Azenis RT615K in 265/35-18. I've mounted them on a set of Rota 18x9.5" race wheels.

--

Next up was to remove the A/C system. Air conditioning can be nice in a track car, but it's a whole lot of weight (close to 80 lbs of crap) hanging off the nose of the car. So out it had to go.

You basically have to remove everything in the front of the car to get the A/C parts out; bumper, right headlight, air duct, radiator, etc.

Now that's a whole lot of stuff. I also removed the windshield washer reservoir, as I'll be relocating the tank to the back of the car.

--

I have been dealing with very high temps in the car for some time. The problem was always the same -- oil temps would climb as I got deep into a track session, and then water temp would climb until the car was too hot. Bimmerworld manufactures an upgraded oil cooler for the S54 to deal with just this situation. Needless to say, it was a must-do as I converted the car into a racer.

Last thing to do was to make sure that air makes it into the oil cooler. With the A/C condenser out of the way, there's a gap between the plastic air guide and the cooler. So, I added a sheet of aluminum to make sure that the air entering the bottom of the bumper opening is guided all the way to the oil cooler and doesn't rise towards the radiator.

--

I'm just down to odds-and-ends now before the car is ready for it's first race! Keep watching this space.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #64
unevolved

Those flags are looking good!

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #65
setra

My Ride: BMW M3-R
Great work Peter! Keep it up
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #66
peter*g

Last couple of photos for the weekend. I replaced the CSL flippers with a full-width carbon fiber lip and side splitters. I think the car is looking pretty bad-ass!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #67
unevolved

I love seeing "immature" stickers like Hoonigan on proper badass cars. You've always gotta have fun with cars.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #68
peter*g

I love what Ken has done to promote the sport, and so running some stickers is the least I can do to thank him.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #69
unevolved

Thank you! I can't stand the elitist enthusiasts talking about how he's cheapening the sport.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #70
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
this is absolutely incredible.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #71
unevolved

Also- Goddamn, that's a good looking car. I love seeing aggressive body parts on cars driven in anger.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #72
ams07r

My Ride: E46 325Ci
I sure hope you record some of the events and post them up!
ams07r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #73
peter*g

That's the plan!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #74
peter*g

Almost done!

We're now less than two weeks away from the Empire State Rally, so I'm in the final push to prep the car. Check out my latest:

I created a simple portable jack for the car using an old Porsche 944 aluminum jack. I cut off the tab where you use a crank handle to rotate it and tapped on a socket. The idea is that I'll attach my impact gun to the socket and the jack will raise the car. Voila!

I also added the required first aid kit and a tool roll to the supplies in the trunk. The First Aid Kit is simply bungeed to the framing in the trunk.

The tool roll is strapped to the carbon fiber plate I fabricated earlier. The tool roll itself includes all of the tools you'd find in a factory tool kit along with a an upgraded screwdriver set-up with multiple bits, pliers and cutters, zip-ties, and a blade. It's enough to handle simple on-road repairs.

Also, to clean up the airflow around the splitter, I put some black helicopter tape on the seam between the front lip spoiler and the side splitters.

--

My last major project was to install a fan switch to control the electric fan on the backside of my radiator. I'll only really really need it for when the car is sitting at idle, so there's no need for a fancy temperature switch.

I bought a SPAL fan harness as it would mate right up to my SPAL electric fan.

I mounted the relay for the fan switch near the ABS pump. I powered it from the main positive post. The other wires run out to the fan, and into the cabin for switched power and ground.

The fan switch itself was mounted to the carbon fiber panel I fabricated earlier. The switch on the left is for the fan, while the two switches on the right are for the rally computer and interior lights.

--

To close out the project, I had some custom vinyl cut for the car. James at Bimmerworld was really helpful during the project, and Falken provided tires. The main stickers are to promote the open-source web development software Drupal. I have been working in the project for the last 4 years and (lacking a main sponsor) I decided to help promote awareness of this amazing community and software.

Check out some final pre-event shots of the car:

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #75
unevolved

Looking good! If you're going to use an impact on that jack, you'll want to make sure it's got a real heavy grease. It'll gall like a bitch if you don't.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #76
peter*g

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
Looking good! If you're going to use an impact on that jack, you'll want to make sure it's got a real heavy grease. It'll gall like a bitch if you don't.
Yep. There's a good high temp white lithium grease on it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #77
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
i might have to steal this if I'm ever near Massachusetts...fair warning haha
Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #78
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Awesome build!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #79
peter*g

We're less than a week away now. I finally got the car corner balanced and aligned. I brought it to Turner Motorsport, as their race shop is right here in the North Shore of Massachusetts.

The car weighs a lot more than I was hoping for; 3300lbs with all spares and supplies. That means a full racing weight north of 3700lbs. *oink* *oink*

If I strip out the spare wheel, jack and impact gun, triangles, first aid kit, passenger seat, etc., I can probably get the car under 3200lbs for road racing. Still too freakin' heavy. I may need to take a sawzall to it.

The good news is that the front/rear weight balance is really good. The car should rotate well.

--

Once I picked the car up, i took it to the BMW CCA school at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I volunteered to instruct, which gives me some open lapping to get a feel for the car and for the Falken tires, and to shake out any bugs.

The event was a mixed bag. I ran two solid sessions and the car felt great. The Falken RT-615ks were a bit of a revelation. They definitely lacked the grip of a full race tire, but they were sticky, predictable, and gave really good feedback at the limit. I could push the car confidently and know how much it would slide. They also heat up quickly, which will be helpful at Empire State as the temps are expected to be low and the stages are relatively short.

In the 3rd session, however, I had an ABS/DSC fault and lost the ABS braking. Not sure if you all have felt that before, but the results are disastrous. The brake balance gets out of whack and it's very easy to lock the wheels. I tried cleaning the sensors at the track, but to no avail. The car was basically undriveable at the limit with the brakes in that condition.

I left the track with huge angst. Was it a sensor? Could the ECU be having a problem? Thankfully I have a local repair shop that has a factory-compatible scanner. They traced it back to the left rear wheel speed sensor, and a replacement from the dealer fixed the issue. I ordered the other 3, and will try to get them on the car before Empire State.

Next time I post should be after the rally, so please wish me well!

Thanks for following.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #80
bmxmax

My Ride: M3
Cool project,

It's very heavy. It might be time for some lexan. SAP delete, and cabin filter assembly delete, and kevlar bumper bars would help too.

What is the name of the vendor that sells the carbon fiber panels? I want to do something similar to my door panels.

Keep up the good work
bmxmax is offline   Reply With Quote