E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
davidlau

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Help!!

HELP!! The coolant light came on after a few seconds when I turned the heat or even the heated seat... Also some strong burn smell came under the hood. Cannot figure out what happened; sent to the dealer they said they the coolant level is fine and the reason might be air enter to the engine?? estimated 5 ot 6 grant to fix it, not worth it....

It is a 05 330xi, everything is so perfect till this problem came up...

Need help talents..... don't want to give up... Thanks***65281;***65281;***65281;***65281;

I also noticed that beside the smell, there is some kind of light smoke at the location just above the BMW sign as shown here (looks like came out from the small cap on the left end of the pipes going across the cabine)
davidlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I think you probably have a VCG leak and a coolant leak too. Try and figure out where the coolant is coming from. What did they want to fix for $5000?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Jeebus, for $5-6k they should just hand you a new car or a new engine at the very least.

Agree with Kubica on VCG and coolant leak. Both are easy to fix once you find the coolant leak. When's the last time you replaced any cooling system parts? Start by checking radiator hoses/connections, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank/connections, and sensor o-rings.

If you recently worked on the cooling system, you may not have bled the system of air properly so re do that. You might want to just re do that anyway since it's fairly inexpensive to do. Double check that the coolant level is in fact fine and if it is, you may have a bad coolant level sensor.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-28-2013 at 03:41 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
davidlau

Thanks Kubica, not sure if there is a coolant leak yet. It was overfloat when topping off. I brought it to the the local dealership, probably they just don't want to spend time on checking it and scared me off... will see if I can find a local mechanic this weekend..
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
davidlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Jeebus, for $5-6k they should just hand you a new car or a new engine at the very least.

Agree with Kubica on VCG and coolant leak. Both are easy to fix once you find the coolant leak. When's the last time you replaced any cooling system parts? Start by checking radiator hoses/connections, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank/connections, and sensor o-rings.

If you recently worked on the cooling system, you may not have bled the system of air properly so re do that. You might want to just re do that anyway since it's fairly inexpensive to do. Double check that the coolant level is in fact fine and if it is, you may have a bad coolant level sensor.
Not sure if it is related, but when I bought this car 2 years ago,the engine light came on after a week and I did replace the thermostat... but this problem just came up a few weeks ago, will it be a problem from 2 years ago??
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
neutron325

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlau View Post
Thanks Kubica, not sure if there is a coolant leak yet. It was overfloat when topping off. I brought it to the the local dealership, probably they just don't want to spend time on checking it and scared me off... will see if I can find a local mechanic this weekend..
Be careful not to over-fill the coolant tank. There's a possibility that over-filling it will cause it to crack due to a pressure spike as it tries to dump coolant through the pressure regulating cap.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
YaSureYouBetcha

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Help!!

Coolant light is one thing, but what's the temp gauge telling you? +1 on all the above. Go through the cooling system with a fine tooth comb. If you have 100K miles and have not done any cooling system maintenance, I'd strongly suggest replacing the expansion tank, water pump, upper & lower radiator hoses, temp sensor, and low coolant sensor. Sounds like you may have replaced the thermostat, if not replace that too.

I had an ECS cooling system refresh kit in a box at 108k last winter and kept putting the job off, and my system failed, causing the temp to climb wayyyyy to fast. Thankfully no damage to the engine.

Anyway good advice in the prior posts. As far as the. $5K to fix, simply ridiculous, I think you need to find a good Indy mechanic!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
YaSureYouBetcha is offline   Reply With Quote