E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
AndyFL

My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert
My horror story with Khoalty

I purchased a pair of HID D2S headlight bulbs from Khoalty to replace my OEMs.

Their website advertises these bulb as being exactly the same as the OEMs, "Your BMW E46 factory Xenon bulbs uses the same bulb we are selling here", is their exact wording. I ordered them in confidence expecting they would deliver as advertised. However, that was not the case. Instead of receiving a pair of D2S, I received D2C type bulbs, which have similar filament as the D2S, but a completely different base. The main diference between them is that the D2S base have 2 notches, while the one they sell, (as D2S), is a 5-notch, D2C-type bulb.

I was completely unaware of this major difference before buying or even after installing them, only when I ran into some trouble with them, and did some research. Well, upon install, I noticed that the bulbs weren't easy to seat and seal with the supporting ring as my OEMs'. After having to put a little fight to get them installed I finally did, however, the passenger side bulb malfunctioned the very next day.

So here I go again; had to completely unistall the headlights to take the darn bulb out and see what the issue was. Much to my surprise, the right side malfunctioning bulb won't come out. It was dislodged inside the headlight and its ignition element. I tried many times to get the bulb off, but being it had a 5-notch base, it had shifted and simply won't bulge. After trying for 1/2 hr, I had no other choice but to break the bulb with some pliers take it out.

Well, I contacted Khoalty and explained the whole ordeal, and for almost 2 weeks, they just ignored my emails. (I choose not to call to establish a written, paper trail). Anyway, after additional attempts, they finally decided to "step up to the plate" and respond, now requesting pictures of the bulbs, broken or not. I emailed the pictures right away, 3 pictures total, showing the intact bulb, the broken one and another one of the base.

After this, they would not respond, once again. So, exercing my customer right, I went ahead an opened a Not As Described dispute with Paypal and with my credit card. After reviewing all the facts, my CC issuer refunded my money. To pad their claim, Khoalty went as far as lying on their dispute responce saying I broke both of the bulbs and no refund will be issued, slick isn't it? Hello Khoalty, did you not read, understood and assimilate why the lightbulb had to be broken, in the first place??? The truth to the matter is, I only broke 1 of the 2 bulbs, the other bulb came out the headlight w/o issue. Of course, it had to be broken because it got jammed and there was no other recourse to take it out. They claim "they've been selling these bulbs for over 5 years without any issues", but the fact of the matter is the bulbs they sold me, were NOT a direct OEM replacement as they claim, period. I wonder what thier responce would had been is the headlight electronic components would had been damaged due to their crappy bulb, don't even want to think about it.

So the leason to be learn is stay away from this guy, they will only respond to emails before the sale, not when a problem arises. They hate the bad press, but instead prefer not to give the expected good customer service when needed. I recommend not buying these bulbs from them, they are Chinesse-made, eBay-type bulbs of very low, inferior quality. There isn't a brand name even listed on them, that should say it all. Simply put, they will not stand behind their product. SO BUYER BEWARE!!!

Ps. I bougth a true, 2-notch, perfect fit D2S bulbs from TRS and couldn't be happier. They were a few dollars more but well worth it. And their customer service is second to none. I highly recommend them! :clap:

Last edited by AndyFL; 11-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Not even going to bother reading that garbage. Learn to use spacing.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
**** trying to read that.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
I'm siding with Khoalty on this. I have used them multiple times and each time they went above and beyond. I have to question your ability to recognize the product you need and to place the correct order for that product based off of what you typed above. We must bear in mind that Khoalty sells AFTERMARKET parts so fitment and overall quality are expected to be off by at least a small amount. Either way, sorry to hear about your experience. If you plan on using Khoalty to buy xenon bulbs, why not just stick with Autozone or O'Reilly's? No shipping and you can have a face-to-face experience. If not, then see a parts advisor at your local BMW dealership.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 10-31-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Blueandwhite85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro

I hear bad things about Khoalty so I came in here expecting the normal upset buyer thread. But this time, I'm siding with Khoalty. It was just a simple issue that they sent you the wrong bulbs.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
Whatever
Old 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I hear bad things about Khoalty so I came in here expecting the normal upset buyer thread. But this time, I'm siding with Khoalty. It was just a simple issue that they sent you the wrong bulbs.
Really? You're right, a very simple issue they won't take care of. Enough said.

Last edited by AndyFL; 10-31-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
I'm siding with Khoalty on this. I have used them multiple times and each time they went above and beyond. I have to question your ability to recognize the product you need and to place the correct order for that product based off of what you typed above. We must bear in mind that Khoalty sells AFTERMARKET parts so fitment and overall quality are expected to be off by at least a small amount. Either way, sorry to hear about your experience. If you plan on using Khoalty to buy xenon bulbs, why not just stick with Autozone or O'Reilly's? No shipping and you can have a face-to-face experience. If not, then see a parts advisor at your local BMW dealership.
Your right buddy. Believe me, lesson learned.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
AndyFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
Done. Just for you pal...feel better now? :excited:
Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I think you can buy some things from some vendors, other things from other vendors. You have to know which & where. And that comes from experience. I bought E46 replacement standard headlight lenses from Khoalty and was well-satisfied with the fit of the knockoff parts. I usually hate Chinese knockoff parts but these are OK, and much cheaper than OEM. I keep thinking they won't last very long since there has to be something about them that's inferior hence the price(UV clearcoating perhaps), but they have been on for a year and a half and still look good.

OP thanks for posting this information, as it is useful and could potentially save somebody some hassle. Caveat Emptor with these aftermarket parts, some are good some are bad, so it's best to implement a judicious use of them.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
I have to side with Andy. A business STAYS in business by providing good customer service on BOTH SIDES of the sale. When I deal with a mail order business and a screw up occurs, having prompt resolution will always keep me loyal to them. It sounds like they were not so prompt in this case. It is also up to the customer to double check the part BEFORE the install. Most places these days have hired people that don't know their ass from a hot rock.
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
ive ordered from khaolty with no problems, though i do hear that they have their fair share of unsatisfied customers. My thing is why did you buy bulbs from khoalty? wait... it was probably the price, i understand. But there are better options out there when it comes to bulbs for a few bucks more than what you were paying with khoalty. even if they did send you the correct bulbs i dont think you would be to happy with them. hit up lightwerks or the retrofit source. you'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.

Just ordered from them again 2 days ago and already got it.
Never had a problem with them.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Cliffs:

Khoalty sold you a D2C bulb when their site shows a D2S bulb
One of the bulbs broke
You were able to dispute the charge with your credit card company
Khoalty lied, said that you broke both bulbs

That's some siht dude

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
I've bought many items from Khoalty and have always had an excellent service! Sorry to hear that you had issues... but I will definitely be doing business with them again :thumbup:
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
I ordered an Mtech II bumper from Khoalty a few years ago. It came 24 hours late. Should I complain? :rolleyes:

On a side note it could have had better fitment. Next time I get a bumper I will go OEM
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #17
Droopy9

My Ride: 2001 325i
It is good to know this kind of issues.
Cheers,
Droopy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #18
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

Still waiting on a reply message from them from about 2 years ago. So yeah, I can understand the OPs side.
They just don't respond. It's like they roll a dice to decide which emails to read.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #19
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3

That's odd. I've ordered plenty of things and always had great parts. Asked them a question i had about a product after I purchased it and they responded in a few minutes.

Next time make sure you received the right parts before you throw them on.

ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #20
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
That's odd. I've ordered plenty of things and always had great parts. Asked them a question i had about a product after I purchased it and they responded in a few minutes.

Next time make sure you received the right parts before you throw them on.

I just ordered 127 items from ECS. I dread arrival day because I have to compare the invoice to what I actually got. It is an important step that is all too often overlooked
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote