E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
TuckerLM

My Ride: 2000 323i
e46 Clutch - Foreign object found near Flywheel? Any Ideas?

I have a 2000 323i that has a new(er) Clutch that was replaced about 15k miles ago. That isn't the problem: the problem is that I discovered the mechanic who was supposed to have changed out the slave cylinder on the clutch control (as a preventative maintenance when the clutch was out), did not do so.

The slave cylinder recently failed, and I learned the hard way that replacing with a sub-par non-bmw part from a local parts retailer (store name unmentioned) is not a good idea, after installing and starting to bleed, the piston blew out and had brake fluid all over the place. I made sure to remove the piston from behind the fork, cleaned up all the brake fluid, and sprayed brake cleaner as much as I could inside the clutch behind the fork and drained out all of the brake fluid from the bell housing. I, then, ordered a new slave cylinder from AutohausAZ.com, and everything went great.

The next day, I start hearing this pinging noise (like a loose bolt on metal), and could feel it co-insiding by feeling the vibration with the noise on the clutch pedal. I immediately stopped driving the car, and just took out the transmission last night (standard 5-speed BMW Getrag). Here is where I am concerned after I removed the transmission (see pics)

1. I found this "piece" of something metal, with rubber notches in it, and I am wondering if it is from the failed after-market POS slave cylinder I tried to install at first. any ideas?

2. Look at the arrows I placed on the transmission housing... It appears the input shaft is undamaged, but there is clear damage to the input housing. Will I be okay if I reinstall in this condition?

3. Look at the arrows on the pressure plate - The metal is marred in many places, but not dented, and the flywheel looks good and there are no bends in the forks or anything. Again, am I safe to reinstall in this condition?

I am planning on replacing the input and output shaft seals, installing new pilot bearing, fork, etc, as shown on Bavauto.com's step-by step. I just want to be sure that these 'cosmetic' damages aren't going to bite me down the road.

I am fairly new to working on manual gearboxes, and any input / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and be well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	533146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	533147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	533148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	533149  

TuckerLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
I am wondering if it is from the failed after-market POS slave cylinder I tried to install at first. any ideas
That is the piston from slave cylinder. It is impossible for the piston to blow in unless the slave is installed improperly. What you did is put a slave at an angle so the rod missed the fork, then you tightened the two nuts, then when you try to bleed it the rod and the piston blew in. what you removed was the rod with the seal and not the piston. This is all your fault. The after market slave cylinder is not POS, you are POS mechanic.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
e46 Clutch - Foreign object found near Flywheel? Any Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
That is the piston from slave cylinder. It is impossible for the piston to blow in unless the slave is installed improperly. What you did is put a slave at an angle so the rod missed the fork, then you tightened the two nuts, then when you try to bleed it the rod and the piston blew in. what you removed was the rod with the seal and not the piston. This is all your fault. The after market slave cylinder is not POS, you are POS mechanic.
Wtf is up with you being a total dick to everyone?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
TopasE46

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Re: e46 Clutch - Foreign object found near Flywheel? Any Ideas?

Not sure what that is, it very well may be the slave piston. You'll be fine reinstalling the trans, the damage to fluting on the bell housing isn't going to affect anything drastically.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TopasE46; 11-02-2013 at 10:06 PM.
TopasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
pbotz2000

My Ride: 2002 330ci
if it was the piston to the slave cyl you would have brake fluid all over as it would have spilled out or blown out once you pressed the clutch and it failed.
Did that happen or do you see brake fluid. In the pictures it looks dry
pbotz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
TuckerLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbotz2000 View Post
if it was the piston to the slave cyl you would have brake fluid all over as it would have spilled out or blown out once you pressed the clutch and it failed.
Did that happen or do you see brake fluid. In the pictures it looks dry
Yes. There was a big puddle of brake fluid on the ground after I did 'carefully' (to appease the moody nitpicker that earlier responded) install the 1st replacement O'reilly brand slave cylinder, and the shaft that hits the fork would not retract.

Upon further inspection, it also appears the throw-out bearing and clip that hold the fork in place is toast. Also, after I got the new slave from Autohausaz, you can easily see the build quality difference between OEM and aftermarket O'Reiley's. Last I have never had luck with mechanics in Arizona, as they all seem to be about cutting corners. The mecahnic that replaced the clutch, did just that: replaced the clutch. on a car with 155,000 miles on it, one would think that an ethical and honest mechanic would have actuall replaced the slave cylinder as I had aske, and also suggested replacing the throw-out bearing, seals, etc while it was apart.

I chalk it all up to learning, and thank you all for your feedback.

As for HakenTT? you were so honed in on saying something negative that you never even answered my question. Go to a doc and get some Prozac or something.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
pbotz2000

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Don't stress someone else's bashing you. It was a mistake and you learned.
Its not usually common either to replace the slave cyl on a clutch job.
Normally the hydraulic system does not get opened or touched.
pbotz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
TuckerLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbotz2000 View Post
Don't stress someone else's bashing you. It was a mistake and you learned.
Its not usually common either to replace the slave cyl on a clutch job.
Normally the hydraulic system does not get opened or touched.
I agree, however when I bought the car with 155,000 miles on it, I wanted it done and asked to have it done.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
how did you get the housing apart? did you use a car lift?

Last edited by Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo; 11-14-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
TuckerLM

I didnt have to seperate the housing. I was able to relace all that i wanted, including the 545 short shift kit. Car drives like new!