E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Clear coating CF Hood?

So I have had a Seibon Carbon fiber hood on for about three weeks, and I want to protect it as best as possible. I have seen to many of these hoods that look terrible because of yellowing. How would I go about Clear Coating and applying a good sealant. If anyone can find a DIY on clearing CF I would be very pleased. I would also like to know some product recommendations on Sealant and other products to use. Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
Clear coating CF Hood?

Here's a DIY.

Take it to a professional, he will clear/sand/polish it. If you're competent you can install it yourself.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
BlazingWildBill

Re: Clear coating CF Hood?

I can install it myself, I installed it the first time. Not hard at all, just had to transfer components from my old hood and that took about twenty minutes. Easier than an oil change. And do you know how much an average shop charges for this? I know it varies by location but just a rough estimate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
whyismycarsodirty?

My Ride: Protege5, soon e46
Unfortunately each shop is different, but on average, I know to sand and prep a hood is $400, but since you are just getting the hood cleared it could be less. The problem with CF hoods is that they are mostly gel coat when you receive them, so they are not made to withstand the harsh UV that the sun puts off. Why is this? Because it is cheap and looks good upon initial purchase.

I would say as far as polishing, most body shops dont have a single clue as to what constitutes proper finishing of a sanded surface. They try, but they just end up filling the surface with oil that will be removed upon the first or second wash.

As far as protecting it, yes a wax and or sealant will keep it protected after you get the work done, but i would strongly consider looking into a coating such as cquartz, opticoat, or any other coating.
whyismycarsodirty? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
BlazingWildBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyismycarsodirty? View Post
Unfortunately each shop is different, but on average, I know to sand and prep a hood is $400, but since you are just getting the hood cleared it could be less. The problem with CF hoods is that they are mostly gel coat when you receive them, so they are not made to withstand the harsh UV that the sun puts off. Why is this? Because it is cheap and looks good upon initial purchase.

I would say as far as polishing, most body shops dont have a single clue as to what constitutes proper finishing of a sanded surface. They try, but they just end up filling the surface with oil that will be removed upon the first or second wash.

As far as protecting it, yes a wax and or sealant will keep it protected after you get the work done, but i would strongly consider looking into a coating such as cquartz, opticoat, or any other coating.
The thing I have is that the cost of the hood is only $100 more than the quotes I was getting from shops. I was at a car meet where a guy with a WRX had a Seibon Hood and Trunk and they both looked new. He said he did not get a clear coat but waxes every week. Plus, his is always outside. Mine is in my garage most of the time. Thank you for providing a well thought out answer though! Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
whyismycarsodirty?

My Ride: Protege5, soon e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingWildBill View Post
The thing I have is that the cost of the hood is only $100 more than the quotes I was getting from shops. I was at a car meet where a guy with a WRX had a Seibon Hood and Trunk and they both looked new. He said he did not get a clear coat but waxes every week. Plus, his is always outside. Mine is in my garage most of the time. Thank you for providing a well thought out answer though! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome!

Sadly, each production run of a hood is different as well. While they have to keep some sort of consistency during production, im sure mixtures are never the same when changing out the molds. Some carbon fiber hoods may never incur any uv damage and may always remain looking prestine, but the majority will suffer from some sort of damage. I know it may be more of an expense then you wanted to have to deal with, but the hassle of trying to keep it pristine by making sure you have a "waxing" calender just gets annoying and in the long run may just delay the inevitable. The majority of cars that I have worked on that had aftermarket carbon fiber had some sort of UV damage that could not be fixed by buffing/polishing, and did require a clear coat sprayed on.

I wont say proper maintenance wont keep it looking very good for a long amount of time, because you may end being able to keep it looking like new for as long as you own it, but at the same time, dont want to print pictures of grandeur only to have your hood fade within a few months or years.
whyismycarsodirty? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Clear coating CF Hood?

Shouldn't cost you a lot. I payed for mine to get painted and clear coated and I only payed $350.

Picks of my hood are here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/masiabd/

Mine is the carbon black on bronze wheels.

ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
BlazingWildBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
Shouldn't cost you a lot. I payed for mine to get painted and clear coated and I only payed $350.

Picks of my hood are here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/masiabd/

Mine is the carbon black on bronze wheels.

Looks good! I'm most likely going to wait until spring to do painting as i plan on getting new body kit pieces as mine are sh*t right now. It would just be easier to do it all at the same time.