E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
carlc

My Ride: 330xi
330xi front end shake

HI all, I have a 2005 that started to shake on acceleration at freeway speeds and uphill so badly I thought it was going to fall apart. Could limp home if I stayed out of it on hills and just used minimum power sort of like coasting uphill but by the time I reached home (about another 70-80 miles) I was going up hill with flashers on at about 30- 40 mph on freeway. Only happened after 100 miles or so. Shop I use couldn't repeat (due to long warmup), but we talked it over & thought it was automatic transmission. Replaced it and shudder shows up later. It only shows up after significant miles and under strain. If it cooled down the shudder was gone.
Fast forward... and have replaced several front end parts including axles. Vibration is now more rapid and does not need long warmup miles to appear. Also, now if I do a hard right circle in a parking lot it will shudder, consistently without warming up. What do you know about this?
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Kevinnku20

My Ride: 325xi
May not be your problem, but when I had violent shaking in the front end, it was my ball joints.
Kevinnku20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Check front diff fluid level. It's probably fvcked already but see if a drain and fill can help out.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
TakaSuti

My Ride: 325xit
Just had the same problem and then cv axel broke off
TakaSuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
carlc

TtHANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS... I WILL UPDATE PROGRESS
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
carlc

330xi front end shake

OK... here is the update. I've been back to the shop and drove it around hard right turn with service guy. He found a left motor mount broken and replaced both front mounts. Problem solved I think!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Kevinnku20

330xi front end shake

What does the engine mount replacement run ? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth diy or just paying someone to do it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kevinnku20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Crazyone4

Dude, I have the Same problem. AVG Mechanic won't be able to help you.

Check your Bushings on the Front of your Car for Rips. Bad Bushings will wear out your tire, Bad Tire will put Stress on your Bearing and CV Joint, Stressed out CV Joint will heat up the inner shaft Greece and then Cause your Vibration.

Center Bearing won't take 30 Minutes to vibrate. Guibo only during Initial 0 to whatever will pop. If it was the transmission, problem will show up when its cold.

So, Inspect your Front End under the microscope and see what you find.
Crazyone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
Mflara20

My Ride: 2002 330xi
330xi front end shake

I'm planning to change my front wheel bearing on my 02 330xi do you guys have a good DIY and tools I need I perform this job?

Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #10
Mflara20

330xi front end shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyone4 View Post
Dude, I have the Same problem. AVG Mechanic won't be able to help you.

Check your Bushings on the Front of your Car for Rips. Bad Bushings will wear out your tire, Bad Tire will put Stress on your Bearing and CV Joint, Stressed out CV Joint will heat up the inner shaft Greece and then Cause your Vibration.

Center Bearing won't take 30 Minutes to vibrate. Guibo only during Initial 0 to whatever will pop. If it was the transmission, problem will show up when its cold.

So, Inspect your Front End under the microscope and see what you find.
I have this problem too. Recently I have changed control arms and bushings, inner ball joints and right axle, my front tires were getting bold from the inside. You say this would put stress on cv joints and bearings, should I change my wheel bearing too?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Crazyone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I have this problem too. Recently I have changed control arms and bushings, inner ball joints and right axle, my front tires were getting bold from the inside. You say this would put stress on cv joints and bearings, should I change my wheel bearing too?

I would not Change anything unless it is broke or makes noise. Stress is no big deal as long as you catch it in time.

You only change parts if the Part is bad, not if you think it is bad. It will Cost you. This is the Good and bad of German Cars. Tight tolerance. A cheap tire will last 30,000 Miles. Inspect those Bushings very close.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Crazyone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyone4 View Post
I would not Change anything unless it is broke or makes noise. Stress is no big deal as long as you catch it in time.

You only change parts if the Part is bad, not if you think it is bad. It will Cost you. This is the Good and bad of German Cars. Tight tolerance. A cheap tire will last 30,000 Miles. Inspect those Bushings very close.
Interesting Reading.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/RTAB.html
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
Mflara20

330xi front end shake

I changed them cause they were toast and made my inside of my new tires almost bold.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
mvance30

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlc View Post
HI all, I have a 2005 that started to shake on acceleration at freeway speeds and uphill so badly I thought it was going to fall apart. Could limp home if I stayed out of it on hills and just used minimum power sort of like coasting uphill but by the time I reached home (about another 70-80 miles) I was going up hill with flashers on at about 30- 40 mph on freeway. Only happened after 100 miles or so. Shop I use couldn't repeat (due to long warmup), but we talked it over & thought it was automatic transmission. Replaced it and shudder shows up later. It only shows up after significant miles and under strain. If it cooled down the shudder was gone.
Fast forward... and have replaced several front end parts including axles. Vibration is now more rapid and does not need long warmup miles to appear. Also, now if I do a hard right circle in a parking lot it will shudder, consistently without warming up. What do you know about this?
most of my front suspension is of course used but in decent shape. my right axle is shot though and my car is doing the same thing.
mvance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
carlc

cost of the motor mounts (2) was about $330. I still have a hard shudder/shake in a tight right hand circle and when accelerating. Thanks to all for your experiences.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
carlc

UPDATE on the SHUDDER: had both original front axles rebuilt and it is now gone!!! No More Shudder. Only use OEM or rebuilt OEM as all the others are going to shudder.... this direct from a service writer at dealership... he has had many come to him with the replaced aftermarket ones and it seems they just wont work! He has always had my trust... I was just tired of paying the price at the dealer so tried someone else. Ended up solving the problem... just took a lot longer. I am now using a shop that races BMWs, and so knows a ton about them. I will have the front end closly re-inspected next trip in to the shop. Thanks to all for adding in on this!
Carl