E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

I know my passenger control arm is shot so by peace of mind I'm going to change both at the same time. I want to get Mayles HD control arms but I don't know if they make them for 330xi (by the way it's an 02 330xi.) I want to get Powerflex bushing as well. Thanks guys.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

It's this kit any good?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I know my passenger control arm is shot so by peace of mind I'm going to change both at the same time. I want to get Mayles HD control arms but I don't know if they make them for 330xi (by the way it's an 02 330xi.) I want to get Powerflex bushing as well. Thanks guys.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I would stay away from much stiffer bushings. It's not a track car and the stiffer bushings may just add stress elsewhere. Go with OEM grade bushings, I just did the Febi Bilsteins and I like them.
If you want to tighten up your handling, look into Bilstein HD shocks or Koni FSDs. Go with stock bushings.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

You know a good website to buy them from? Sorry new here


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
YaSureYouBetcha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 130
My Ride: 2002 325xi
Help buying control arms

I use ECS tuning quite a bit, but there are others. Check the site sponsor page for more options.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
YaSureYouBetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Arnezie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 308
My Ride: 04 325XI
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...ntrarmbkit.htm
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...e46-e46cakitxi
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
ECS is good, try these guys too

http://www.rmeuropean.com

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/Saab/SaabParts.php

http://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-parts/index.html?

Remember that the bolts for the "lollipop" brackets and the reinforcing plate, are one time use only and must be discarded. New lollipops come with their own new bolts but you need to get new bolts for the reinforcing.

If they are more than $3 each, shoot me a PM, I have a. Dealership that sells them for about $2 plus shipping. I would buy 2 sets.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

PM sent


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

What do you think of this ones? The manufacturer it's Lemforder.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ntrol_arm.html
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
What do you think of this ones? The manufacturer it's Lemforder.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ntrol_arm.html
Try this, same brand, lower price. Just make sure the same ball joints and bushings are excluded fathom price.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...@Control%20Arm

I would try the dealer info I sent you just to compare genuine BMW pricing.

Edit, price not lower on the link I gave but try the dealer price for giggles.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

Last edited by ti317; 11-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,574
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
WAIT!!! Don't buy anything yet. The Xi and RWD control arms, ball joints, bushings, struts, lollipops, bolts, and basically everything that holds the front of your car up is different from the RWD cars. When it comes to suspension parts, please make sure your advice comes from people with an Xi. Sometimes the RWD guys get lost and drop bad/wrong advice in this forum.

They do not make the Meyle arms or Koni FSD for the Xi. Your choices for the control arms are either OEM from the dealer or Lemfoerder from some other places. I bought mine from FCP Groton.

Go with the powerflex bushings, they last a lot longer and are easier to install than the OE bushings. I wish I would have gone with those to be honest.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
AndrewReaganM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 36
My Ride: 02' 325xi OrientBlue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-E46-Xi-S...cd4326&vxp=mtr

Is this a bad choice? They are only half the price of almost every other place I have looked, and come with more parts than the others. If I did purchase this kit, what else would I need? I have all of the tools I would ever need, and my dad is half german (which should help, lol) and a mechanic so that part is covered.. I just want to know if it is okay that I get this kit instead of the ones that would cost me upwards of $600. I would much rather pay $300 being a high school student. :p
Thanks, Andrew_nr_
AndrewReaganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Help buying control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
WAIT!!! Don't buy anything yet. The Xi and RWD control arms, ball joints, bushings, struts, lollipops, bolts, and basically everything that holds the front of your car up is different from the RWD cars. When it comes to suspension parts, please make sure your advice comes from people with an Xi. Sometimes the RWD guys get lost and drop bad/wrong advice in this forum.

They do not make the Meyle arms or Koni FSD for the Xi. Your choices for the control arms are either OEM from the dealer or Lemfoerder from some other places. I bought mine from FCP Groton.

Go with the powerflex bushings, they last a lot longer and are easier to install than the OE bushings. I wish I would have gone with those to be honest.
http://www.namotorsports.net/Koni/Su...6SedanXISports
News to many people, including Koni.

Power flex may be easier to install but are they better for normal road use?

Maybe if you weren't so positive in your assertions. Just sayin



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,574
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
http://www.namotorsports.net/Koni/Su...6SedanXISports
News to many people, including Koni.

Power flex may be easier to install but are they better for normal road use?

Maybe if you weren't so positive in your assertions. Just sayin
Koni sport adjustable is not the same as Koni FSD. If you look through the Koni catalog for FSD, all the parts will state "excluding Xi" or "excluding AWD". Also, if you are spending $700+ on a set, you're getting ripped off.

Powerflex is better for everything. Going with Delrin bushings is a bad idea though.

I've been around the block a time or two, my assertions are quite positive.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-04-2013 at 04:36 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
tttomttt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2003 330xi
I just ordered from NOPI auto parts. $175 ea for the fronts and $108 ea for the backs Koni Yellow sports for my 2003 330xi.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Help buying control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Koni sport adjustable is not the same as Koni FSD. If you look through the Koni catalog for FSD, all the parts will state "excluding Xi" or "excluding AWD". Also, if you are spending $700+ on a set, you're getting ripped off.

Powerflex is better for everything. Going with Delrin bushings is a bad idea though.

I've been around the block a time or two, my assertions are quite positive.
I stand corrected. Did a search for FSD on the phone. Small screen, didn't catch the text as Sport.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Mflara20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elgin illinois
Posts: 443
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Help buying control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Try this, same brand, lower price. Just make sure the same ball joints and bushings are excluded fathom price.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...@Control%20Arm

I would try the dealer info I sent you just to compare genuine BMW pricing.

Edit, price not lower on the link I gave but try the dealer price for giggles.
I just took a look at the website and they are more expensive than the ones in parts geek. Or I am missing about the ball joints and bushings needs to be excluded fathom price? I don't know what you mean by that.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I just took a look at the website and they are more expensive than the ones in parts geek. Or I am missing about the ball joints and bushings needs to be excluded fathom price? I don't know what you mean by that.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That is why I did the edit. I misread the price.
The way Ron sets it up, you may be surprised at the price for BMW arms. They may be competitive.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
neutron325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 50
My Ride: 03 325xi
I was thinking of going with the powerflex "street" poly bushings, mostly for the long life. Mine are so bad now, I can move the control arm by hand.

Can someone tell me: Does the XI get the same front subframe brace as the RWD models? I've looked through all of the Fiches on RealOEM and I don't see that it takes the brace that has the little door in it to get to the oil drain. If it does, mine is definitely missing.

I need to do a complete refresh (132k miles) but I'm going to start with the control arm bushings and a few similar items for the rear.

I really need some of the engineered failure bolts for the front end. When i did a CV joint boot, I noticed one of the bolts that holds the forward balljoint was bent, but I didn't have replacements on hand.
__________________
03 325xi sport appearance, cold weather, Harman Kardon audio, etc
neutron325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 661
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron325 View Post
I was thinking of going with the powerflex "street" poly bushings, mostly for the long life. Mine are so bad now, I can move the control arm by hand.

Can someone tell me: Does the XI get the same front subframe brace as the RWD models? I've looked through all of the Fiches on RealOEM and I don't see that it takes the brace that has the little door in it to get to the oil drain. If it does, mine is definitely missing.

I need to do a complete refresh (132k miles) but I'm going to start with the control arm bushings and a few similar items for the rear.

I really need some of the engineered failure bolts for the front end. When i did a CV joint boot, I noticed one of the bolts that holds the forward balljoint was bent, but I didn't have replacements on hand.
I am pretty sure it does not. The bracing should be part of the subframe, with just a splash shield underneath.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use